Two questions regarding 'Emo'...

Guest tiarnantmann

Guest tiarnantman

Ok, so I'm doing a presentation, and I need some opinions here.

Firstly, what in your opinion does Emo mean in a musical-sense? What characteristics must a band have to be classified as 'Emo'?

Secondly, would you classify Evanescence as Emo??? If so, please give reasoning. If not, give reasoning as well.

Emo's simply a branch of hardcore punk that focuses on the more emotive side of the genre. While you've got bands like Black Flag, Circle Jerks, The Germs etc. singing and writing music about getting wasted and fucking shit up you've got bands like Rites of Spring and Embrace (first wave stuff) that are writing about more personal things rather than the sex, violence et al that was prevalent in the hardcore scene at the time.

Just to get an idea of what I'm talking about check out Rites of Spring, Embrace, Sunny Day Real Estate, the Get Up Kids, and Husker Du.

And no, I wouldn't consider Evanescence to be emo. Listening to their stuff I don't see any influence or basis in the emo genre - like DMN said it's more of a modern alt-rock vibe.

Emo's simply a branch of hardcore punk that focuses on the more emotive side of the genre. While you've got bands like Black Flag, Circle Jerks, The Germs etc. singing and writing music about getting wasted and fucking shit up you've got bands like Rites of Spring and Embrace (first wave stuff) that are writing about more personal things rather than the sex, violence et al that was prevalent in the hardcore scene at the time.

Just to get an idea of what I'm talking about check out Rites of Spring, Embrace, Sunny Day Real Estate, the Get Up Kids, and Husker Du.

And no, I wouldn't consider Evanescence to be emo. Listening to their stuff I don't see any influence or basis in the emo genre - like DMN said it's more of a modern alt-rock vibe.

Emo is too confusing IMO, as way back in 2002 in NOW 52 or whatever's liner notes, they called Nickelback's "How You Remind Me" emo. Then I always percieved shouty, dark "i wanna kill myself" shit as emo. BUt when I heard some of the bands that a friend was into that were 'emo', it was acts like Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy, which to me, sound really poppy. So, yeah, who knows lol.

Also, most 'emo' bands tend to have random or 'funny' names for songs and the band itself, a la Panic!, Cute Is What We Aim for etc.

If anyone thinks I'm totally off, well, good for you lol, but that's what I percieve emo as through that friend, and I'm not one who listens to those kinds of bands, I prefer myself a bit of grunge.

CORRECTION: According to tags on last.fm, everything is emo, so well, debate sorted:p.

Emo is too confusing IMO, as way back in 2002 in NOW 52 or whatever's liner notes, they called Nickelback's "How You Remind Me" emo. Then I always percieved shouty, dark "i wanna kill myself" shit as emo. BUt when I heard some of the bands that a friend was into that were 'emo', it was acts like Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy, which to me, sound really poppy. So, yeah, who knows lol.

Also, most 'emo' bands tend to have random or 'funny' names for songs and the band itself, a la Panic!, Cute Is What We Aim for etc.

If anyone thinks I'm totally off, well, good for you lol, but that's what I percieve emo as through that friend, and I'm not one who listens to those kinds of bands, I prefer myself a bit of grunge.

CORRECTION: According to tags on last.fm, everything is emo, so well, debate sorted:p.

Edited by F#A#