The New Amsterdams

YI

Matt Pryor (The Get Up Kids) is fucking off it. Seriously. In like the past year, he has put out 3 albums (2 with New Amsterdams, 1 with Terrible Two's) and an EP. "Story Like A Scar" was a grower, the Terrible Two's album "...if You Ever See An Owl" or something similar (it was kiddy themed..."1-2-3-4-5-6-7...7-8-9-10-11...when I get to 11, I'm not gonna grow no more") was fun, but the new album "At the Foot Of My Rival"...fucking top shelf.

It basically encompasses all of the previous New Amsterdams stuff, and wraps it up into one amazing package. It's got the acoustic-y tracks, like "Hughes" and "Drunk Or Dead", which are awesome. Then there's the stuff with piano shadowing back to "Worse For The Wear", with catchy melodies, with tracks like "Story Like A Scar" (not to be confused with the last album :shifty:) Then there's the more electric stuff which was becoming more prominent on "Story Like A Scar", like "Wait", which is so fucking catchy...and then there's "Lay On The Rails"...which...wow...this really should have been the ending track. The sheer desperation in Pryor's voice...the thudding drums getting louder and louder...and then it just ENDS...fucking...amazing...should had ended the album IMO, but "Drunk Or Dead" is actually a really good follow on for it.

Not sure if it's going to be as superior as "Worse For The Wear", but it is basically all of The New Amsterdams tied up into one album...but it still sounds so different.

It's such a beautiful laid back album. The EP "The Companian Of My Rival" is great too "Ex's & Oh's" is a class song. Should have made the album, would easily have been one of the best on there.

"At The Foot Of My Rival" by The New Amsterdams...get a fucking hold of it...fucking...amazing. Perfect chill out music.

Definately the best 'former Get Up Kid' release since the band disbanded and went their seperate ways (New Amsterdams, Reggie & The Full Effect, White Whale, Blackpool Lights).

Check shit out on their myspace, all the best new tunes are up;

http://www.myspace.com/thenewamsterdams

I suggest checking out on the myspace;

"Ex's & Oh's", "Drunk Or Dead", "Lay On The Rails" (OH MY GOD...THAT ENDING), "Wait" and "Hughes".

You WILL love it..... :angry:

While I would much rather have another Get Up Kids record, I'm a fan of The New Amsterdams and loved the Worse For Wear EP, but I haven't heard the full album yet. Without a doubt, a high recommendation.
Edited by YI

While I would much rather have another Get Up Kids record, I'm a fan of The New Amsterdams and loved the Worse For Wear EP, but I haven't heard the full album yet. Without a doubt, a high recommendation.

"Worse For The Wear" is a actually an LP, New Amsterdams albums just tend to be suspiciously short (Just clocking in over the half hour...somtimes under I believe as well). It had easily their catchiest material, very much straight up piano rock, acousic-ness kind of thing. They're getting a bit more...'stylish', cool sound...I dunno...I can't describe it properly, now. And the new album (Which has had ZERO hype...as it's released on their own label, I literally found out about it by accident).

I believe "At The Feet Of My Rival" is their first CD to break the 35-minute mark (have 6 albums). Clocking in at around 44-minutes.

And yeah, I too would love another Get Up Kids album. :( "Guilt Show" was really fucking good. 'Different'...but really good. Really wasn't really a fan of "On A Wire" though. And the first two albums were classics.