The Hunter's Lullaby

GRIFT

I've been really excited for this thing to drop ever since I heard the 4 song EP he released a couple of months ago. The album is fucking stellar and really unlike anything I've heard recently. All the instrumentation was done accoustically. The album has 10 commanding songs that are poignant and lyrical and the delivery is pretty unique. I guess it is almost like if Steve Earle had sex with Billy Corgan and the offspring put out an album reminiscent of the 60’s beat poets with hip hop influenced beats backing it with the occassional panflute.

Sex Love and Honey is definately my favorite track so far with Careful What you Wish For (which reminds me of Nick Cave for some reason) falling close behind. Yellowbrick Road is the track that screams single material, but I don't think this album was designed for commercial success. Raine produced it all in his home studio and is putting it out himself.

He has a few tracks up here: http://www.myspace.com/rainemaida

Edited by The Grifter

I'm a big fan of OLP and so decided to purchase this legally(first album I've purchased legally since Eminem - Marshall Mathers) and it's taking me some time to get used to his style, I was expecting a softer set of OLP-styled songs but what I found was Raines attempts at poetry reading, I haven't listened enough to know if I appreciate this new style enough to call it a stellar album but it certainly caught my attetnion. Yellow Brick Road is a better single than anything from OLPs last album and Love Sex and Honey has stuck with me since first hearing it on the EP.

Qustion for you though, how does the EP versions differ from the album versions, I'm asking because I bought the EP first and didnt want to spend more money(even if it is only 79p) on 4 tracks I already had but if they add something to the songs then Id conisder it.

Personally I am really glad this album doesn't sound anything like OLP's stuff. A big pet peeve for me is when an artist says they want to try something solo to pursue a different direction and then they put out something that sounds just like their main project. When I listened to Tom Yorke's Eraser I thought it was great, but couldn't tell the difference between it and a Radiohead album.

The EP is pretty much the same as the LP, but doesn't have as many tracks. It was sort of a taster for people who were waiting.

How can anyone take this guy seriously?

I am a singer.

I am a songwriter.

I am not an entertainer, although I can be entertaining. Alcohol.

I never knew how much I truly loved music until I bought The Unforgettable Fire.

I write and record music because it is the evidence of life.

I have yet to wrap my head around the distinction between pretentious and earnest.

I’m either hopelessly misunderstood or an idiot.

I am a Monday morning activist.

I’ve filmed Documentaries in Iraq and Darfur and work closely with various charities.

I drive a hybrid vehicle, shop with cloth grocery bags, buy mostly organic local foods but yet feel as though I’m living a cliché.

I dislike Yoga.

Love Bruce Lee and the UFC.

I know some real activists.

They humble me.

I feel as though I am a witness and the armed robbery is life happening right before my very eyes.

I don’t want to be the guy in the 7-11 hiding behind the candy bar aisle.

And my feelings on the CD? It's the biggest pile of garbage since... the last OLP album!

Edited by PunkRockPete

Ignoring PRP, anything with Raine Maeda is a good thing to me. I haven't had a chance to listen to this stuff yet but I will within the next couple of days and come back with a better review. I love the guy's voice so I'm hoping this stuff tests his range.

Thats right. Ignore me because Raine Maida is a pretenious emo bitch who tries to pass himself off as a rapper? He is just as much as a douche anyone else out there making music, but he tries to make himself seem better because he knows activist and drives a hybrid car. Fuck him. Grow a set and make some real music and quit singing like Clumsy was a good fucking CD.