Red Hot Chili Peppers sue Showtime

GA!

So.. because they're already rich they have no right to claim royalties that should belong to them anyway? Fuck off.

His point(as far as I saw it) wasnt they have no right to do so, just that they can fuck off because they're choosing too. What do they possibly have to gain from this? Showtime can easily change the name of the show and still pull in the same numbers, I doubt not many, if any tuned into the David Duchovny drama because they thought it was linked to the RHCP. Surely a quick glance at the on-screen/TV guide would tell them otherwise.

Basically, I just don't see why Showtime should pay RHCP, what exactly are Showtime taking from RHCP? Fuck that identity bullshit, they're "stealing" nothing. I like RHCP but Godamn, fuck bands that sue.

It's like the entire concept of "artistic inspiration" went to shit as well. God forbid an RHCP fan is inspired by the song and writes a TV show based on it. GOD FORBID. Man, if I were Leonardo da Vinci I would've sued Raphael's ASS off for stealing ideas. What a cunt.

Edited by damshow

I like this idea that if any of you were in RHCP's position, you wouldn't sue. You would. When you've sold 15 million records with a distinctive name you've alone popularised (seriously - who the fuck knew that word existed before 1999?) as a result, there's a good claim of ownership...

But that doesn't change the fact that RHCP are incredibly rich and have no need to sue. If they were starving artists I would support them, but this is just rich people fighting rich people. Fuck them both.

Yeah! Fuck rich people! Yeah! If Rage Against The Machine hate them, so do I, yeah! Let's go protest against some war.

I like this idea that if any of you were in RHCP's position, you wouldn't sue. You would. When you've sold 15 million records with a distinctive name you've alone popularised (seriously - who the fuck knew that word existed before 1999?) as a result, there's a good claim of ownership...

But that doesn't change the fact that RHCP are incredibly rich and have no need to sue. If they were starving artists I would support them, but this is just rich people fighting rich people. Fuck them both.

Yeah! Fuck rich people! Yeah! If Rage Against The Machine hate them, so do I, yeah! Let's go protest against some war.

As for your first point, I know I wouldn't sue. I have too much of an investment in my art (And I do write and tried to produce music) to care about profit. Countless others do as well. Why do you think Tom Petty didn't sue for the accused plagiarism in the Peppers' song "Dani California"? Because he values his music, and doesn't see how suing will benefit his own music. Why do you think As for your second point, fuck rich people indeed. Now I am a huge RHCP fan, especially of their Californication album. That doesn't change the fact that they don't need to sue. It's not like they're losing any money out of this, in fact, if anything, the show is reminding quite a few people about the album and maybe leading to them gaining some new fans. All they're doing here, to any proper thinking music fan, is looking like they've replaced their role as artists with a falsified ego that they are businessmen. They are artists, and pretty good artists, plain and simple. It's a shame that they've become so blinded with their nearly 20 years of success to remember that it's the music first. A damn shame. But oh well, fans like many of these in this thread are just allowing for a disintegration of the music industry as they too have become blinded by the terrible concept of money over art.

Edited by damshow

If I was rich, no, I wouldn't sue. Why would I need to? I'd actually find it really fucking cool to see my album/song title become a big enough part of pop-culture to influence artists in other industries/walks of life.

The title sums up the show and album perfectly, I just dont see why both can't stand alone on their own merits.