cheap instruments

edcq

anyone know somewhere where i could buy a cheap drumset? The reason i'm askin is cuz my friend and i are gonna start a band and i'm the drummer. I'm willing to spend like $150, but it could go a little higher. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

P.S.: this is for inside the U.S.

You're really better off searching locally (newspapers/friends of friends/etc.). About the only thing you'll get for $150 is a good bass pedal, or perhaps one or two decent cymbals.

(side note: Midget's a bitter percussionist who's about damn tired of paying triple digits for decent drum kit equipment.)

I found a drumset for about $240, it seems like a good deal. It's the cheapest thing I could find so far. Or Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. Thanks for the help Midge.

Don't buy online.

Stick to buying locally.

Avoid buying from instrument stores unless they are notorious for having low prices. A lot of instrument stores are just looking to sell you the mainstream models which are good, but they are pricey and aren't the best at all.

I'd advise that too. I picked up a vintage bass for £90, I've been told by quite a few bass enthusiasts that the bass, when new, would cost hundreds. So that's the way to go I think.

Anyone know of any good online guitar tutorials? I've mastered bass (sort of) and I'm trying to pick up on some acoustic guitar. I've seen a few but not any great ones. Any help?

Edited by supergrass

Anyone know of any good online guitar tutorials? I've mastered bass (sort of) and I'm trying to pick up on some acoustic guitar. I've seen a few but not any great ones. Any help?

Well, for practicing at home, I just tried playing a bunch of tabs... MxTabs is the best site for tabs that I've found.

Now I'm really into MySongBook. You download these tabs, and by using the program Guitar Pro, you can hear the song you're trying to play in midi format. It's awesome, and I reccomend it.

You may also be interested in:

CyberFret

and

MusicTheory.net

Guest fullhouse

Pawn shops may be a good place to start. You may not get the entire set but depending on the size of your city and the number or shops maybe you'll eventually be able to peice together something.

Other Ideas

Newspapers. You can look in the for sale section in the classifieds. Also if your city/town is too small look in the classifieds of a paper for the nearest largest city. Alot of newspapers have classifieds online. You could also post a WANTED TO BUY ad in the classifieds.

Go to any place that local bands play. Clubs, coffe shops, etc... Ask band members if they know of any one looking to sell, or ask the manager/owner if you can put up a flyer.

I had another idea, but I forgot it. Sorry...

Edited by fullhouse