*SPOILERS*Official Indiana Jones And The Kingdom of The Crystal Skull Thread*SPOILERS*

TGC

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the ants were the best part. People getting pissed about the gophers are prime examples of pedantic fanboy bullshit - there were gophers on screen for what? A total of three seconds? And they had no impact on the plot whatsoever. The monkeys were lame and groan-inducing, I'll agree with that, but hardly anything to ruin the movie as a whole.

Edited by Zero

Yeah, the ants were the best part. People getting pissed about the gophers are prime examples of pedantic fanboy bullshit - there were gophers on screen for what? A total of three seconds? And they had no impact on the plot whatsoever. The monkeys were lame and groan-inducing, I'll agree with that, but hardly anything to ruin the movie as a whole.

You're right, they were only there for about three seconds, so what was the point in having them there in the first place? There's no reason for them and that's my issue with it. It's just Lucas fucking about with CGI for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I could deal with the monkeys and ants (even though the way they made pyramid was ridiculous to say the least) but the gophers were a needless "awww cute" factor.

I'll tell you what though, I marked for the mention of the greatest city in England - Leeds. That actually made everyone in the cinema turn to each other and laugh.

I very much liked the ants, and it also showed the power of the Crystal Skull pretty successfully.

I'll tell you what though, I marked for the mention of the greatest city in England - Leeds. That actually made everyone in the cinema turn to each other and laugh.

I very much liked the ants, and it also showed the power of the Crystal Skull pretty successfully.

The guy looked like he was from Leeds, that's for sure.

I thought this movie was horribly subpar. The script was in major need of fixing and as most people mentioned none of the Jones ever felt in danger.

The thing about the previous three movies is that the script was believable enough for one to buy into the weird things like face melting but this one the script and the direction made the movie just feel unbelievable. A lot of the time during the movie I would be watching a scene and just having to blurt out to myself "Come on."

In the warehouse when the metal in the gunpowder is attracted to the chest from across the warehouse but when they open the chest the magnet is only strong enough to lightly pull on their dogtags and doesn't effect their guns at all. Come on.

Indiana was able to ride in the Fridge for miles and the door didn't come off and he was able to stand and walk afterwards with no problems. Come on.

In the jungle when they blew up the tree cutting machine yet they were able to then drive around for 15 minutes into the uncut desert and not have a single problem. And how the blade ripped apart the front of a few veichles yet they were all able to drive away. Come on.

Mutt's adventure with the Monkey's and then the Monkey's attacking the Russians afterwards but no attack Mutt who invaded their tree. Come on.

The Ants I didn't mind to much except for their ability to make that pryamid and having superior vision to know where to go to get the humans. Come on.

The driving the jeep off the cliff and onto the tree and the tree bended and not break from the superior weight. Come on.

All the other unreal things that happened in the movie but I am to tired to list. Come on.

Overall a 4/10. The action was alright in parts but there were many scenes where I was unable to suspend my imagination.

I thought this movie was horribly subpar. The script was in major need of fixing and as most people mentioned none of the Jones ever felt in danger.

The thing about the previous three movies is that the script was believable enough for one to buy into the weird things like face melting but this one the script and the direction made the movie just feel unbelievable. A lot of the time during the movie I would be watching a scene and just having to blurt out to myself "Come on."

In the warehouse when the metal in the gunpowder is attracted to the chest from across the warehouse but when they open the chest the magnet is only strong enough to lightly pull on their dogtags and doesn't effect their guns at all. Come on.

Indiana was able to ride in the Fridge for miles and the door didn't come off and he was able to stand and walk afterwards with no problems. Come on.

In the jungle when they blew up the tree cutting machine yet they were able to then drive around for 15 minutes into the uncut desert and not have a single problem. And how the blade ripped apart the front of a few veichles yet they were all able to drive away. Come on.

Mutt's adventure with the Monkey's and then the Monkey's attacking the Russians afterwards but no attack Mutt who invaded their tree. Come on.

The Ants I didn't mind to much except for their ability to make that pryamid and having superior vision to know where to go to get the humans. Come on.

The driving the jeep off the cliff and onto the tree and the tree bended and not break from the superior weight. Come on.

All the other unreal things that happened in the movie but I am to tired to list. Come on.

Overall a 4/10. The action was alright in parts but there were many scenes where I was unable to suspend my imagination.

Wow. It was a film. Come on.

Sorry, that's a bit harsh. I know a lot of people have been upset about this film, but was anything you saw too far removed from the original Indy films? Yes, Mutt swung from some vines, but Indy also regulary swings from a whip, which is probably next to impossible. The monkeys were a little daft, yes, and I grant you the fridge stuff was a bit far fetched (although it's also one of my favourite parts of the film), but everything else I feel is more than justifiable given the world that Indy lives in, and the other adventures that he's had. It's a crazy, rip-roaring adventure, too much logic would bog the whole thing down. It's a little far fetched than the other films, but given that those had knights that had lived for centuries, a radio for speaking to God, a Nazi monkey, voodoo slaves, removing hearts from chests, giant vampire bats, snake surprise, a German airplane crashing perfectly through a tunnel alongside a car without causing any damage, and people jumping out of a plane in a rubber dinghy, surviving and using it to surf down a mountain then float along a river. Next to all that, gunpowder being attracted to a supermagnetic box and monkeys that sympathise with Mutt because they have a similar hairstyle and a tree supporting a cars weight don't seem that farfetched at all.

On a personal note, I loved it. Like everywhere, it divided the people I was seeing it with, but I really enjoyed it. I wasn't a fan of the alien angle, but as previously mentioned, it's a 50's set adventure film, so focusing it around the Roswell incident is all pretty fine with me. Good stuff.

8/10

Edited by Hutch2004

Sorry, that's a bit harsh. I know a lot of people have been upset about this film, but was anything you saw too far removed from the original Indy films? Yes, Mutt swung from some vines, but Indy also regulary swings from a whip, which is probably next to impossible. The monkeys were a little daft, yes, and I grant you the fridge stuff was a bit far fetched (although it's also one of my favourite parts of the film), but everything else I feel is more than justifiable given the world that Indy lives in, and the other adventures that he's had. It's a crazy, rip-roaring adventure, too much logic would bog the whole thing down. It's a little far fetched than the other films, but given that those had knights that had lived for centuries, a radio for speaking to God, a Nazi monkey, voodoo slaves, removing hearts from chests, giant vampire bats, snake surprise, a German airplane crashing perfectly through a tunnel alongside a car without causing any damage, and people jumping out of a plane in a rubber dinghy, surviving and using it to surf down a mountain then float along a river. Next to all that, gunpowder being attracted to a supermagnetic box and monkeys that sympathise with Mutt because they have a similar hairstyle and a tree supporting a cars weight don't seem that farfetched at all.

On a personal note, I loved it. Like everywhere, it divided the people I was seeing it with, but I really enjoyed it. I wasn't a fan of the alien angle, but as previously mentioned, it's a 50's set adventure film, so focusing it around the Roswell incident is all pretty fine with me. Good stuff.

8/10

That's really annoying to always hear the "well unbelievable things happened in the original so what's the problem" argument. In the original things happened that seem to make sense in the real world. Yes the supernatural elements were "supernatural" but we never had to deal with patriotic monkey's in Temple of Doom. In the other films there were maybe 2-3 scenes where the filmmakers took creative license with physics, but in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull it's really scene after scene of impossible stunt after impossible stunt.

Not too mention the plot devices that seem like throwaways. Such as the FBI agents saying at the start "we'll be watching you" and then disappear even after Indy is chased on a motorcycle around a university and then leaves the freakin' country. I mean what was the damn point of them then? Just to give Indy a reason to leave the school at the beginning? That's the best plot device they could have come up with?

8/10

That's really annoying to always hear the "well unbelievable things happened in the original so what's the problem" argument. In the original things happened that seem to make sense in the real world. Yes the supernatural elements were "supernatural" but we never had to deal with patriotic monkey's in Temple of Doom. In the other films there were maybe 2-3 scenes where the filmmakers took creative license with physics, but in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull it's really scene after scene of impossible stunt after impossible stunt.

Not too mention the plot devices that seem like throwaways. Such as the FBI agents saying at the start "we'll be watching you" and then disappear even after Indy is chased on a motorcycle around a university and then leaves the freakin' country. I mean what was the damn point of them then? Just to give Indy a reason to leave the school at the beginning? That's the best plot device they could have come up with?

It's not even that. The original's "far-fetched" parts weren't Disney-esque far-fetched. This one was just flat out ridiculous. The originals followed the bible and voodoo, things that the real world aren't versed in. Of course you're expecting to see something you haven't seen in every day life. IT'S THE FUCKING ARK OF THE COVENANT FOR FUCK'S SAKE. These were just plain stupid ideas that had no relevance to the overall plot and drove home the fact that George Lucas is essentially living off of three trilogies, and is basically going to market it for all it's worth because fanboys will buy up three of the same fucking book just because the covers are different. I literally felt patronized through this movie, and they'll keep slinging this shit out every time someone gives it a high rating.

Edited by EndOfAnEra

For the people ragging on Lucas, you should rag on Speilberg and Harrison Ford too, because one directed it and the other signed off on the script. Furthermore, Lucas didn't write the script. Executive Producer and Story By do not mean he wrote it. If you hated the movie, fine but be pissed at all the people involved. Indy isn't all Lucas like the Star Wars prequels were.

Believe me I am so sick of that phrase. Things change when you grow up, including how you react to things. Add in twenty years of anticipation and overly high expectations and of course some people are going to be disappointed. I was during Phantom Menace. I was during Superman Returns a bit. I kept my expectations a bit lower for Indy and was able to enjoy a movie that was not nearly as good as the other three, but I still enjoyed. I agree there were plot holes and some really stupid crap, but it was enjoyable for me.

Iron Man was 100 times better though.

I've gotten to the point where the fanboyism bugs me so much that I think I enjoy The Prequel Trilogy out of spite. I honestly can sit back and watch them all and just enjoy them. Indy was just a flat-out fun movie, but maybe I enjoyed it so much because I don't have this extreme attachment to them from my childhood. I watched them all when I was a kid, I enjoyed them, but I never clung to Indy like I did Star Wars.

With all that said, yes, Iron Man is definitely the movie of the Summer in terms of fun blockbuster. Although The Dark Knight is still my most anticipated movie of the year, period.

I agree. I like the SW Prewuels now, but sitting in that theater during Phantom Menace I was SO disappointed.

And is it wrong that as of right now I have more anticipation for Get Smart than Batman right now?