Unexpected Surprises in Video Games

I just had one of those moments.

I was messing around with NBA Live '96 for the SNES, and found an "Edit player" option. I thought I'd create some players who weren't already in the game.

I entered "Barkley", and the game made a dinging noise. All of a sudden, Barkley's stats were already entered in! Number, school, skills, position, etc etc. I couldn't believe it!

I've tried about 25 names and NOT ONE has failed. I cannot believe how much time they spent researching who to add! Even the rookies are in here.

I cannot believe it!

I remember when GTA2 on the PS1 came out, I used to enter random, comical names for the player. I put one in once and it was a cheat. I can't remember exactly what the cheat was, but I never remembered what it was either. :(

Most recently, I remember when I played the Dead Rising demo, jumped off the edge of Colombian Roastmasters, and found the katana. That was pretty rad.

Probably the biggest one though, was Super Mario World 3. This was before I had the interwebz, or strategy guides, so most of the shit I had to find myself.

Edited by Will Kemp

• 1 month later...

The little music boxes you jump on in SMB3 that takes you to the area that where you collect the coins. I thought it was pretty cool.

Oh, and the name cheat wasn't unique to that NBA game. On the Genesis, Triple Play '98 (I believe it was, I know it didn't have the Rays in it), you could do the same thing, and they had some players that are pretty much unknown today unless you know your baseball; players from the Negro Leagues (Cool Papa Bell, Josh Gibson).