2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zetterberg crushing Phaneuf was all sorts of epic though.

Wouldn't have happened if he and Holmstrom hadn't spent half the game crying about being beaten up near the crease.

Seriously...they stand on top of the goalie on a regular occasion, and they're still not used to taking shots for it? What kind of pussified NHL is this?

Gary Roberts cries a single tear every time something like that happens. Back in his day, you stood in the crease, and it was push and shove, get pushed and shoved, and try to shovel the puck in the net. These days, it's stand in the crease and... that's all.

Before I say anything else... that was a fun game to watch. Frustrating as a Flames fan, but fun.

Okay, now that's out of the way...

our offense looks killer. The forecheck and down-low play is phenomenal, but that will lead to opportunities for the other team coming out of the zone, and our defense just isn't where it needs to be. In fact, it was just awful.

If we can get our defensive coverage to be better, we'll be more than fine heading into the post-season... but if we have to keep out-scoring people to win games, it's going to be hard to watch.

The Band of Misfit Toys, as I like to call the Leafs right now, continue to plug along picking up wins. It was one wild game to watch, that's for sure.

Congratulations must go out to Martin Brodeur for such a huge night. To me tying the record is a bigger deal than him surpassing it. Major kudos to Marty, he's a class act all the way.

That was definitely the highest scoring game I've ever been too. Jokinen gets his hat trick in the third, then Grabovski responds with his gimme hat trick a few minutes later. It wasn't pretty, and we didn't look at all like the better of the two sides, but, um, we aren't, so I'm not particularly concerned. I can't really say Gerber's doing much to earn a back-up gig for next year, and we looked like shit on the PK, but this is the season of lowered expectations so I have a hard time getting upset about it.

See, I look at what Gerber's done since being picked up by the Leafs... and I honestly think he's been far better than his numbers show. Even tonight... maybe only 1 or 2 of those goals can really be blamed on him. The rest of them came with devastatingly bad screens in front, or off of weird bounces like Jokinen's mid-air goal.

If he's willing to take a significant paycut, I'd say that he's exactly the kind of guy who should be sharing pipe duties with Vesa Toskala next season.

Of course, if he isn't willing to take what money he deserves for what he will give next year, then he'll test the open market, and his play down the stretch here will help him secure a spot on a team next season.

EDIT: How many times have I raved about John Mitchell and his shot? If the guy would shoot the puck more, he'd be a standout player. He's a defensively capable centerman with a first line type shot. He may never be a legit number one center, but I see him playing a Daymond Langkow-type role in his career... and that's not a bad thing at all.

Edited by Gabriel

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Someone refresh my memory...how did a team as good as late-90s Colorado manage to get four first round draft picks in one year (Tanguay/Regher/whoever else was in that group)?

That's a very good question. I shall attempt to do some research.

Tanguay's pick, 12th overall, was Colorado Avalanche from San Jose.

Skoula, 17th overall, was Colorado Avalanche from Los Angeles.

Regehr was Colorado Avalanche from Boston, and Scott Parker was Colorado Avalanche from Washington.

The Kings got Colorado's 1st round pick, and the Capitals got Colorado's fourth round pick.

Unfortunately there isn't really a website listing transactions. Wiki usually has a listing of draft day trades, but this draft was before that tradition started. :\

Traded Mike Ricci, 1998 second round pick (#50-Jaroslav Kristek) to Sharks for Shean Donovan, 1998 first round pick (#12-Alex Tanguay) on 11/21/97

Traded Eric Lacroix, 1998 first round pick (probably #21-Mathieu Biron) to Kings for Stephane Fiset, 1998 first round pick (probably #17-Martin Skoula) on 6/20/96

Traded Landon Wilson, Anders Myrvold to Bruins for 1998 first round pick (#19-Robyn Regehr) on 11/22/96

Traded Curtis Leschyshyn, Chris Simon to Capitals for Keith Jones, 1998 first round pick (#20-Scott Parker), 1998 fourth round pick (probably #106-Krys Barch) on 11/2/96

Good hunting, Clawson.

Traded Landon Wilson, Anders Myrvold to Bruins for 1998 first round pick (#19-Robyn Regehr) on 11/22/96

That deal looks really bad in retrospect.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Pierre Lacroix, for about seven years, was a fucking genius. No way anybody gives up first-rounders that easily anymore.

Seriously, I bet the entirety of half those negotiations were "do you really want to put that much value on something that might net you the next Alexander Daigle?" <_<

I have a bye too there butterlips. I'll be adding this Gold to my EWB Football Gold. :shifty:

As defending EWB Hockey Champion, I have to state a difference of opinion.

Your rear end is marijuana, my friend... and I am going to alert the authorities to its' presence.

I slept through much of the season due to not having internet access at home.