2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

I think Burke will move up if he really wants Schenn.

Also, I think Montreal will be competitive against the Bruins. I see Montreal taking Game #1 from the Bruins, in fact. I do think that the Bruins will win the series, but if Montreal can stretch the series to seven games, then they have a shot.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drifter: If Toronto either stopped doing their too little too late March runs every year, or if they were able to play like that for most if not all of the season you'd either have a top 5 pick, or a playoff team. But it always seems that Toronto plays as a Jeckyl and Hyde team for the past few years regardless of skill.

Well in previous years I'd agree it was irritating. Years before we've actually had a degree of talent on the team and they'd only seem to pick their asses up in March. I didn't mind the team this year winning games because they're young and it shows character/builds confidence. If we'd have had steady goaltending all season we'd have likely finished higher than 12th in the East.

As long as Burke doesn't piss away money on the Sedins this off season I'll be happy. Toe is right I'm sure...if he wants Schenn bad enough he'll bump us up in the draft. It's not like LA desperately need another top five pick, so they could be shaken for the right deal. With such a thick prospect pool we may even be able to bump ourselves up, and get a prospect for a pick or two + Kaberle.

You never know. Draft day should be very interesting.

As a Leafs fan, this season only showed me that Brian Burke does have a lot of work to do. Our goaltending was inconsistent and only a few players looked like players we can build with. Luke Schenn was great and Jason Blake made his contract look like less of a mistake, but Grabovski was very inconsistent. Jeff Finger is okay, but is overpayed. Anton Stralman continues to develop very slowly.

We have a player to build our defence around, but we don't have a player to build a team around. We need some goaltending prospects and we need some skilled forwards.

Don't forget Ian White, he's been a very pleasant surprise. Here are Burke's comments about the five players this year that he took particular notice to:

- Luke Schenn: "He's going to be around here for a long time."

- Mikhail Grabovski: "At the start of the season, he was a 60-foot player. He only knew how to play in the offensive end. Now, thanks to the coaches, he's a 200-foot player. He can play in any zone."

- Nikolai Kulemin: "Has a lot of raw skill. You could see the development."

- John Mitchell: "His work ethic is encouraging."

- Ian White: "His veteran leadership was impressive."

I lost internet for about a month, before which I was more or less undefeated. Next season will be different. If you doubt my prognosticating abilities, though, maybe we can make more bets. :P

I thought maybe some of you guys would be interested...

Rinkotology - NHL Playoffs "bracket selection" game.

Our goal is to raise $10,066 dollars for the Mario Lemieux Foundation as an online community. This is only a suggested donation, and you do not have to donate to enter the contest.

Good luck.

Ian White and Jaroma Iginla. They'd both be the bad cop, sure, but you could advertise it as "Ian White and Jarome Iginla tour the nation beating the shit out of people for half an hour every week" and make millions! Also, this is the first time I've seen White's 'tache and, while he has some way to go to supplant the Human Eraser, he is rapidly becoming one of my favourites.

Leafs sign another undrafted free agent. This time a local Atlantic Canadian, Robert Slaney from Newfoundland. Played for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles:

SYDNEY — The pride of Upper Island Cove, N.L. has signed a three-year contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Cape Breton Screaming Eagles graduating forward Robert Slaney confirmed to the Cape Breton Post via cellphone Sunday night that he’d inked the deal with the Leafs earlier Easter day.

“It’s been in discussion for the past two weeks and we got her done,” said Slaney, who led the Screaming Eagles in the 2008-09 regular season both in goals, with 36, and points, with 81. “I’m really excited. It’s something I’ve wanted my whole life. So it’s certainly a pleasure that it’s all paid off.”

Slaney, who’s been out of the lineup for the Screaming Eagles’ last three games in their quarter-final series with the Quebec Remparts with an undisclosed upper-body injury, said signing the contract will give him a boost as the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League playoffs continue.

“I’ll definitely be pushing a lot harder,” said Slaney, who was stellar in his six playoff games prior to his injury, posting four assists and five goals, including the winner in Game 1 with Quebec in the fourth overtime period, the second-longest game in the history of the league. “I usually try to give my heart and soul but this will be an extra push to get me going.”

The 20-year-old son of Val and Edith said his family and friends in Newfoundland and Cape Breton were over the moon to hear the news of his NHL contract.

“They’re pretty excited,” said Slaney. “It’s been my dream for a while and they’ve always been behind me. So they’re really happy that it paid off.”

Now that the contract is signed, his progression with the Leafs is straightforward.

“I’ll attend the main camp in September sometime and if things don’t work out there then I’ll head to the AHL team (Toronto Marlies) and hopefully try to earn a spot there,” said Slaney. “They’re looking for some hard-working Canadians so it’s going to be a good fit.”

Slaney has always left his options open, as a successful Cape Breton University business student he was named the 2007-08 Canadian Hockey League academic player of the year. To encourage young Cape Bretoners in their schoolwork, he bought two season tickets at the beginning of the 2008-09 season to be used by a deserving student and an accompanying adult at each Screaming Eagles home game.

And Slaney was honoured twice at the Screaming Eagles’ recent awards banquet, as the team’s regular season scoring champ and with the fans’ choice award.

Here are my Season Predictions...

Western Conference

01. *Detroit Red Wings (2)

02. *Calgary Flames (5)

03. *San Jose Sharks (1)

04. Anaheim Ducks (8)

05. Chicago Blackhawks (4)

06. Dallas Stars (12)

07. Minnesota Wild (9)

08. Edmonton Oilers (11)

-----

09. Colorado Avalanche (15)

10. Vancouver Canucks (3)

11. Phoenix Coyotes (13)

12. Nashville Predators (10)

13. Columbus Blue Jackets (7)

14. St. Louis Blues (6)

15. Los Angeles Kings (14)

Eastern Conference

01. *Boston Bruins (1)

02. *Pittsburgh Penguins (4)

03. Montreal Canadiens (8)

04. *Washington Capitals (2)

05. New Jersey Devils (3)

06. New York Rangers (7)

07. Carolina Hurricanes (6)

08. Philadelphia Flyers (5)

-----

09. Ottawa Senators (11)

10. Toronto Maple Leafs (12)

11. Florida Panthers (9)

12. Tampa Bay Lightning (14)

13. Buffalo Sabres (10)

14. New York Islanders (15)

15. Atlanta Thrashers (13)

Aside from picking Vancouver to not make the playoffs, I didn't do too bad at all. St. Louis and Columbus surprised a lot of people, while Dallas completely fell apart, and Edmonton just barely missed the post-season again.

First Round Playoff Predictions:

San Jose d. Anaheim in 6.

Columbus d. Detroit in 6.

Vancouver d. St. Louis in 7.

Calgary d. Chicago in 7.

Boston d. Montreal in 5.

Washington d. New York in 4.

Carolina d. New Jersey in 6.

Pittsburgh d. Philadelphia in 6.

...which would set up second round matches of San Jose/Columbus, Vancouver/Calgary, Boston/Carolina and Washington/Pittsburgh.

I disagree with Gabe on Columbus and Carolina advancing. I am not sure about Boston and I think Pittsburgh is overrated and could choke.

I can't wait for Thursday... If the Habs find a way to steal game 1 I think they'll have a good shot at taking down the Bruins. I really believe that someone should run Thomas early in game 1, he's as emotional as Be and when he gets that way he plays as poorly as Be argues.