2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Pittsburgh has being doing that for quite a few years now though, probably dating back to when teams wore white at home and I'm pretty sure that wasn't that long ago.

Yeah they used to wear white at home in the 90s and that's when they started the white outs.

Besides, if they go with a black out it'll look like there's no one in the arena.

Well, most teams are all about the retro, why not make it look like it's 1998 again?

Paul Kelly and the NHLPA are 100% for the Coyotes leaving Phoenix... but completely neutral as to where they go and who owns them.

I see this as a very large weight on the mind of the bankruptcy judge, as you have to remember... the players are partners in the league, and the success or lack thereof of the franchise heavily impacts them financially.

I'd say it's looking pretty good right now, for anyone who wants the team... just not in Phoenix.

EDIT: The Flames have re-signed Curtis McElhinney. I hope they're intending on putting him as the starting goalie in Abbotsford this season... because he is not ready for the role we need in a backup right now. Kiprusoff should play 60 games, give or take, and not have to worry about what's going on when we play our backup. We need an experienced guy, like a Brian Boucher, who did an amazing job in San Jose.

Edited by Gabriel

I think whether Bettman wants it to happen or not, the Coyotes are going north of the border. Thus starting the demise of his "Burn Canada" project of the last decade.

I don't know if they're necessarily coming to Canada... but I'm about 80% positive they won't be in Phoenix any longer than one more season.

If Judge Baum declares that the team should move, then an auction process becomes open to anyone interested...which means we could potentially see the team in Kansas City or Las Vegas instead of Hamilton. That said, I don't see anyone forking out $217 million-plus, especially in those cities, when Bettman has practically already told them that if the league expands again, they're at the top of the list.

This has been a series of missed calls and rocky officiating. Not saying bad officiating, just, it hasn't been steady one way or the other.

The first two games, Detroit catches a lot of lucky breaks on things that should have been called, and they take them.

Next two games, Pittsburgh catches a lot of lucky breaks on things that should have been called, and they take them.

Fifth game, Detroit again, ditto.

I'm not going to complain, because that's just how it's been going, and it's gone that way for both teams. Them's just the breaks.

I see people praising Holmstrom for his work on that early goal though, to get in front of Fleury without any interference like that... except... he did interfere with him... 3 or 4 times, in his attempt at getting in position. Just because he wasn't touching him when the puck went in, doesn't mean his big ass didn't knock Fleury around at all.

I don't like the 2 days between games... kills the momentum of the series. I have to wait until Tuesday night for game 6, and then Friday for game 7 if it happens? Jesus.

The Joe has been a horrible building for the Pens. Ok, it's been a horrible building for anybody without a winged emblem (the wings of a penguin don't count). Even if Pittsburgh forces game seven, even if they blow them out on Tuesday... The most skilled team of the modern era, with an extra day of rest, playing in a building that has been more like a prison for most teams, who would love to give the fans the Cup clinching win at home that they didn't get last year. Is it too bold to add Detroit Red Wings hockey in there with death and taxes?

I guess you can't count out the team that has Batman and Superman on it's roster. Only problem is their goalie turns into Robin playing at Detroit.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

What breaks did they catch? Penguins were a bunch of babies, taking obvious, stupid, penalties. Crosby, needs to grow the fuck up. He's wearing the C and can't be the one losing his cool, first. That poor professional attitude they had in game 5 is just pathetic, and it makes them look really stupid.

Edited by thisgamewelose

What breaks did they catch? Penguins were a bunch of babies, taking obvious, stupid, penalties. Crosby, needs to grow the fuck up. He's wearing the C and can't be the one losing his cool, first. That poor professional attitude they had in game 5 is just pathetic, and it makes them look really stupid.

After the Wings blew it open, I'll agree wholeheartedly... the Penguins played an undisciplined, very erratic and non-Pittsburgh like game. Before that though? Holmstrom interfering with Fleury on the Powerplay, to get into a position where he wasn't interfering with him... should have been called. Dan Cleary clearly knocked Fleury over in the first period, and no call. Jordan Staal ate the butt end of a stick during a faceoff, and no call.

I'm not saying that these things would have changed the dynamic of the game, because the Penguins looked sluggish on their early Powerplays anyways... but these are things that should have been called, via the rulebook, that would have given Pittsburgh an opportunity to either take hold of, or shift, the momentum in the game.

Like I said though, there's no complaining here, because it's been that way for both teams, during all five games. Missed calls lead to opportunities for the other team, who runs away with the momentum.

I find it odd that there's really no stable officiating in this series. One game, the refs won't call anybody for holding anybody up or for the skirmishes around the net... but the next game, they're calling everything. It's just funny to me, that without displaying any real desire to see either team win, the referee's are more in control of what's happening than the players.

That being said... if Pittsburgh wants to win this, they need to smarten the fuck up, play a super clean, but still very aggressive game, and go balls deep with this. They need to aim for the juggular from the opening minute on Tuesday night, and they need to not let up on the accelerator at all.

Edited by Gabriel

eh....some hockey news, since this topic is rather dead. Source is mostly ESPN blogs.

- Detroit is trying to lock Hossa up for the next seven years. He would have to take a big paycut. Less than 6 million a year.

Sources say the Chicago Blackhawks, Los Angeles Kings, Vancouver Canucks, Edmonton Oilers and Montreal Canadiens will all make a pitch for Hossa.

- Despite all the denials coming out of the Sunshine State, the Tampa Bay Lightning is trying to deal C Vinny Lecavalier.

- The Senators have opened contract talks with C Mike Comrie. He made $4 million last year, but is willing to settle for a deal in the $2-$2.5M range to stay with Ottawa ...

- The talk is Toronto GM Brian Burke has been trying to entice the New York Islanders, who are drafting No. 1 overall and the Bolts, picking No. 2, to trade their top pick in exchange for D Tomas Kaberle and the Maple Leafs' No. 7 overall selection

- With the Flyers ready to sign G Ray Emery, G Martin Biron is getting ready to look for a new job as a free agent this summer.

-There is talk the Rangers might waive D Wade Redden at the start of next season and send him to the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack to get his $6.5-million salary off the books.

-One Eastern Conference source told us Saturday the New York Rangers have made Scott Gomez available around the league, but we're not sure how interested the Kings are in him. It's a heck of a big contract.

-It appears veteran center Sergei Fedorov is leaning toward signing in the KHL, leaving behind an illustrious NHL career.

-Goalie Manny Fernandez is an unrestricted free agent July 1, but he won't be staying in Boston. The Bruins believe it's time for Tuukka Rask to come up and back up Tim Thomas

-Doug MacLean, Neil Smith, Doug Risebrough, Les Jackson, Tom Lynn, Rick Dudley, Pierre McGuire and current Panthers assistant GM Randy Sexton are among the long list of names we've heard on the radar for the vacant Florida Panthers GM job. But we also heard the hiring might be delayed until the team is potentially sold..

Except Pogge or Gerber.

Ohwai..:P

Neither of them is going to be our starting goaltender in 2009/10. Gerber might not be back and Pogge is still not ready, and may not develop like we hoped. Vesa Toskala is going to be back and hopefully, he will return to his form from 2007/08 after his surgery to repair an injury that bothered him all season.