2008/2009 NBA Thread v2.0

jrtdot

The league hasn't done anything to correct the situation so I think the Spurs (or any other team) would be dumb NOT to trade Bowen if he plans of coming back if he gets cut. And I like the deal for the Spurs for the fact they don't really have an athletic guy in my eyes and have found someone that can come in and help them have another threat with the ball. I would assume the plan is to bring Manu off the bench again? And I'm sure the Spurs will be able to find another big or two before next years playoffs, there are always guys to be had once the season starts.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently, the Wizards got Randy Foye and Mike Miller from the Wolves for Etan Thomas, Darius Songaila, Oleksiy Pecherov and the fifth pick. For some reason, they thought it was a good idea to get two more guards/forwards on a team already stacked with them, and get rid of two big men and possibly a third big man if they could've gotten Jordan Hill in the draft, when an inside presence is exactly what that team needs. I guess this means either Butler or Arenas is probably gonna be gone by next year.

The league hasn't done anything to correct the situation so I think the Spurs (or any other team) would be dumb NOT to trade Bowen if he plans of coming back if he gets cut. And I like the deal for the Spurs for the fact they don't really have an athletic guy in my eyes and have found someone that can come in and help them have another threat with the ball. I would assume the plan is to bring Manu off the bench again? And I'm sure the Spurs will be able to find another big or two before next years playoffs, there are always guys to be had once the season starts.

McDyess did it this season. He was in the Iverson trade then went back to Detroit. It should be looked at in the next CBA

also in other news:

The Bucks have flipped Fabricio Oberto to the Pistons in exchange for Amir Johnson, according to a source. (RealGM)

AND I say a great trade for the Wolves, getting another top 10 pick to get two players in a draft that is mostly good, not the best but very good

Edited by jrtdot

The Wolves had to of given something more up, like their 30 pick, if not they have four picks and will basically change eeeeeeeeeeeeeverything.

Looks like the Wolves would like to take Rubio and maybe Jordan Hill making them a pretty good rookie team. They could possibly be the Blazers of a couple years back if they play their cards right and make smart signings this off-season

On the whole Bowen getting cut and going back to SA, that has been happening for years now, not just this year. Teams usually cut someone they dont want in a deal then that player goes back to the team they were with

Nice deal for San Antonio, it'll give them one last shot at another championship. They're going to have to rebuild soon anyway.

Wait... people STILL think Portland's going to do something with that team they have? Oden is on the verge of being a bust, and they'll never be able to keep that team together. It's a pipe dream. Portland will be lucky to get to a WCF.

In all fairness, Oden hasn't really had enough time to truly be called a bust yet. Although it definitely seems to be heading in that direction, he's still pretty young. The Blazers's best shot to do something is next season, and they still have a lot of salary cap I believe so they'll be able to re-sign a lot of their players when their contracts expire (if they do well next season). Not all, but at least the key parts like Roy, Aldridge and Fernandez.

And the rumor is that Bowen is NOT going to return to San Antonio because of his diminished role with the team.

In all fairness, Oden hasn't really had enough time to truly be called a bust yet. Although it definitely seems to be heading in that direction, he's still pretty young. The Blazers's best shot to do something is next season, and they still have a lot of salary cap I believe so they'll be able to re-sign a lot of their players when their contracts expire (if they do well next season). Not all, but at least the key parts like Roy, Aldridge and Fernandez.

And the rumor is that Bowen is NOT going to return to San Antonio because of his diminished role with the team.

He's 47 years old :shifty: with a brittle body and a limited offensive game. He's not a Sam Bowie level bust, but he may be in a couple of years when you realize that Portland could have had Kevin Durant instead.

He's 47 years old :shifty: with a brittle body and a limited offensive game. He's not a Sam Bowie level bust, but he may be in a couple of years when you realize that Portland could have had Kevin Durant instead.

The big thing with Oden is everyone has shown us a glimpse of what's to come a few times in their rookie season at the least. With Oden we have seen absolutely nothing. He'll be an overpaid guy for a few years, and then find a nice role as a defensive sub on a team. That's his ceiling.

I don't know about Portland not being able to turn into a contender. A core of Roy and Aldridge is a great start, they're missing a few parts but with all that young talent there is so much that they can flip over the next few seasons into addressing their needs and getting better.

The big thing with Oden is everyone has shown us a glimpse of what's to come a few times in their rookie season at the least. With Oden we have seen absolutely nothing. He'll be an overpaid guy for a few years, and then find a nice role as a defensive sub on a team. That's his ceiling.

I don't know about Portland not being able to turn into a contender. A core of Roy and Aldridge is a great start, they're missing a few parts but with all that young talent there is so much that they can flip over the next few seasons into addressing their needs and getting better.

That's the main reason that the Oden choice was even more puzzling. It's not like he's an athletic freak of nature like Dwight Howard. I'm not wasting a # 1 overall pick on a guy whose ceiling is a poor man's Dikembe Mutombo when there's a guy who is almost guaranteed to be a 20+ PPG scorer right there as well. It would be similar to the Clippers drafting Thabeet # 1 this season when he's going to be at best a 6 & 8 (PPG/RPG) guy.