Sigur Ros

SilentBob2004

OK, just been into town and whilst in HMV, i was tempted to buy the new Sigur Ros album but decided against it cos i've never heard a single one of their songs despite hearing from so many people online that they are amazing.

I've known of them for the last 2 or 3 years and know they sing most of their songs in Icelandic and some kind of gibberish language. I wanna download some of their songs to see what its like, and if I like then i'll buy/download their new album.

So come on, what does everyone think of Sigur Ros, and what tunes should I download?

Personally I think the new album is one of my favourites of the year, and is probably their best work. But it still has the new album shine on it. I'm probably going to be be alone in my opinion on that, but whatever. But as I said, it has the new album shine, so it may slip below the untitled album.

I was a little 'late' on Sigur Ros. Getting into them around 4 year ago, after catching the amazing video for "Untitled #1" on TV at some obscene hour of the morning.

They're grandiose and epic, sometimes 'overly' so, which makes their material sometimes feel OTT and cheesy. I've got a little bit of that from all of their material, besides the new one, where there's the perfect mix of pretentiousness and beauty.

Albums:

new one > () > Ágætis byrjun > Takk > Von

Songs To Check Out (Good starting points):

Untitled #1 ("()") -

Staralfur (Ágætis byrjun) -

Festival (new one) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPuZYd0UIXs

Hoppipolla (Takk) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDxMQaMqsig

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur (new one) -

Edited by YI

I really like Sigur Ros. I'd probably rank the albums in the same order as YI, though Ágætis byrjun and Takk can interchange. The first song I'd recommend you checking out is Hoppipolla. It is probably their best known song and it's been used on numerous soundtracks and TV programmes so chances are you might recognise it.