Russia Recently Appointed a New Military Representative To NATO

K

But no-one cares about that, instead let's read about how they're banning emo and goth music.

Kerrang! reports: The Russian government is in the process of drafting a law to make emo and goth music illegal.

Last month a parliamentary committee was convened to discuss a draft proposal of the Russian government's Government Strategy In The Sphere Of Spiritual And Ethical Education bill, the details of which were leaked to The Moscow Times. The newspaper subsequently reported that, among other things, the draft bill dubbed the musical movements a "dangerous teen trend" and called for emo and goth websites to be regulated and young people dressing like emos or goths to be banned from entering schools and government buildings.

The newspaper interviewed one of the bill's authors, Igor Ponkin from the Russian Interior Ministry's Public Oversight Council. Ponkin called emo a "social danger" and "a threat to national stability" and said the bill is a reaction to teen suicides such as the tragic death of British teenager Hannah Bond.

"This type of behaviour is a crucial part of emo ideology," said Ponkin. "Of course there are emo teens who just listen to their music. But our actions are not directed at them but rather at those who also hurt themselves, commit suicide and promote those acts."

The Moscow Times also interviewed psychologist Inna Cherkova who said:

"Suicide is not a symptom of emo culture. I work with other teens too, and every group has emotionally troubled kids."

However, the bill is expected to become law in Russia before the end of the year

http://www.metalunderground.com/news/detai...fm?newsid=37986

What about guys who work in an office building, wear suits with tie's and listen to Lionel Ritchie, Prince, Elton John, etc... and go to work and blow a bunch of people away before killing themselves?

Seriously... music doesn't influence the way we feel. The way we feel influences the music we seek out. If you're pissed off, you don't want to listen to Paris Hilton. You want to listen to something really heavy, really loud and really angry.

If someone's going to hurt themselves, they're going to do it regardless of what subculture group they fall into, or what music they listen to, what television they watch, etc.

The only thing you can do as a government to decrease the number of suicide attempts is to address the issue, make it not so taboo anymore, and offer the help needed for people to overcome those feelings. You don't simply take away what might be the one thing giving them something to hold onto.

Gabey science disagrees with you entirely. Listening to music alters the receptive centres in our brains. Just because angry people might seek out angry music doesn't change the fact that listening to angry music will have a direct affect on our mood and the way our brain is functioning at that time. Your argument is like saying only heroin addicts seek out heroin so it isn't a problem. I'm not saying if you listen to emo you are going to cut yourself or top yourself. What I am saying is it may be more likely to put you into a mood where you might.

Having said all that normally it's happy music when I'm sad that makes me want to top myself.

Gabey science disagrees with you entirely. Listening to music alters the receptive centres in our brains. Just because angry people might seek out angry music doesn't change the fact that listening to angry music will have a direct affect on our mood and the way our brain is functioning at that time. Your argument is like saying only heroin addicts seek out heroin so it isn't a problem. I'm not saying if you listen to emo you are going to cut yourself or top yourself. What I am saying is it may be more likely to put you into a mood where you might.

Having said all that normally it's happy music when I'm sad that makes me want to top myself.

You can make science say anything. It's just like statistics. Half the time, what they're telling you is what they want you to hear, without explaining the rest of the numbers, and important facts that would disprove the point they're trying to make.

Regardless... banning something is never the best way to deal with it. It's just the easiest for those in charge. They should be providing help for people who need it, making it known that depression effects people of all statures, ages, race, religion and musical taste.

It's just an easier way out to say "That's not allowed" than it is to actually do something about the real problem.

You can say music effects our moods and brain synapses and whatever other mumbo jumbo, but I've seen first hand that music, movies or anything else similar can be very helpful in keeping people from acting on those feelings they had. For some people, it's the last rope they have to hold onto, which in my mind, is far more important than the simplistic idea that it's causing people to kill themselves.