Final Fantasy IX - The EWB Playthrough

probablyoliver

ff9-logo.jpg

On its release, IX received some extremely mixed reviews, some hailed it's look, job-class style system and throwback style, whilst others slaughtered it for the same reason. However, over time it's crept up and become one of the most loved FF games ever, with many (Benji included) rating it as the best FF game in the series, whilst other (myself included) still sit tight on the fence.

Regardless, let's play it together. We've done similar things with X and VIII that although never truly took off the ground on a major scale, did spark some interesting discussions about the many different theories over the likes of Sin, Laguna, the Sorceresses, Yunalesca, Yu Yevon and everything else that was left somewhat up in the air by the time the game was through. And if you love things being left up in the air, FFIX is without a doubt going to be one of your favourite things ever, as IIRC by the final credits, there are still a metric fuckton of questions unanswered.

So plug in your Playstation, dust off disc one and start playing. Hail in the unquestionable beauty of Alexandria, revel in the supreme glory of the finest FF Soundtrack known to man and gasp at Queen Brahne's unconventional yet extremely obvious hotness.

Let the game begin!

An intentional double-post to start things off, as I wanted to keep the first post as an introduction only. My copy of the game arrived this morning; making it the fourth FF game i've purchased multiple times along with X, XII and VI (which I'm still yet to even play, I think, but that's besides the point. The VI playthrough will come this christmas!), and so it seemed like a good idea to start this as soon as I start the game.

First thoughts; Zidane still doesn't light my world on fire, apart from the tail there's nothing interesting about him until disc 3. His lady-loving ways have been done before and much, much better with Irvine, and for a main character, he's actually weak as fuck (but as a thief, I suppose he's meant to be). Vivi is a character I've never loved on the same scale as everyone else. I still love the cartoony graphics, and the music is wonderful. Battle system is fun, although can be a little bit slow, and maybe a little bit too simple. I'm currently at the play, trying to impress all the 100 nobels to get the moonstone, but it's fucking difficult.

:)

...would be up for this but, I'm playing through VI right now, and still have to finish Lost Odessy on the 360. Will be apart of the discussion though.

Edit: You actually get something for impressing all the nobles? (I think the most I ever got was 98 or 99) What does the Moonstone do?....I guess it has been awhile since I last played it.

Edited by Ruki

I finally gave up on the Moonstone, finishing with a 98. I did get 900gil from it though, so all is not lost, I suppose.

I like Zorn and Thorn, they're annoying as all fuck (in a good "I look forward to smashing their faces in" way), but their music is beyond cool and I seem to remember they get pretty badass later on.

I'm just waiting for you to catch up. :shifty:

I'm at the chocobo forest... and not wanting to look for chocographs.

Also, for anyone interested in the nobles thing, getting 100 nobles impressed gives you 10,000 gil and allows Steiner to get a moonstone off of Brahne instead of the Silk Shirt.

I remember way too much of this game.

Just come out of the Ice Cavern, which is, if you ask me, one of the most squandered locations in FF. It could have and by all means should have been absolutely stunning, and could have really been with of the main visual focusses of the first disc. Instead it does exactly what it says on the tin, and it's just a massive lump of ice. However, Dali more than makes up for it, because Dali is wonderful.

I've come to the realisation that VII and IX are the only two FFs I've seen the ending of, despite owning IV, V, VI, VIII, X and XII as well.

Anyways, Dali's still one of my favourite secondary places ever in the FF series (secondary in the fact that it's important and serves its purpose, but isn't a major part like Alex or Lindblum, it's sorta like the IX equivilant of VII's Winhill). I mean, it looks like a plain ol' rural village, dull and devoid of a true livelihood and completely oblivious of the outside world, but the dark undertones are brilliant. Also, Steiner is a wonderful character, and I'm thinking he's possibly my favourite character in FFIX. Garnet/Dagger is also a wonderful female lead, and although I wouldn't rank her higher than say Aerith, she's easily a lot cooler than Yuna or Rinoa ever could be. Vivi's cute as a button, even if I don't rate him as highly as the rest of the common known world does, but his story arc is definitely one of the most emotionally gripping in the FF cannon. Zidane still annoys the fuck out of me, and the monkey can go suck a bag of baby dicks, I'd of much prefereed to have Blank in his role, as Blank is the balls.

I'm personally a Rinoa fan; I guess I don't really see or just don't mind all the crap people hate her for. As for IX, like I said: Kuja's my favorite villain in the entire game, and is second only to Kefka in the games I've played. As for the heroes, I've gotta agree with Steiner awesomeness.

Oh don't get me wrong, I liked Rinoa; she just seemed completely useless when left to her own devices. Her quasi-love-triangle with Squall/Seifer during the first disc as well as the relationship with her Father (which really should have been a lot, lot, LOT bigger in the story) and her third disc sorceressessness (wow that's a lot of S's) were the only times she was truly interesting as a character. I mean, her story in disc 2 was based around the fact she was not as important as the others, and thus she just seemed to drift into nothingness. I seriously don't think there was a single moment in disc 2 where Rinoa was at all important.

But hey, enough about VIII, we should be talking about IX. :)

So, some fucker overwrote my FFIX save file and I spent all day Sunday getting back to Chocobo Forest, getting the Chocographs, and going through Gizamaluke's Grotto. Good news is that I've still remembered to steal everything from every boss and fully intend to continue doing so.

So, some fucker overwrote my FFIX save file and I spent all day Sunday getting back to Chocobo Forest, getting the Chocographs, and going through Gizamaluke's Grotto. Good news is that I've still remembered to steal everything from every boss and fully intend to continue doing so.

Until you get to the Hillgigars/Hill Gigas and curse its very existence because for some reason its final item is nigh on impossible to get sometimes.

Pffft, I have trouble getting anything past one item from the fucking Hill Gigas. It took me almost ten minutes just to get the Ice Rod from Gizamaluke. Fucker.

Speaking of Gizamaluke, I've just remembered something. I never really have taken notice of stuff like backdrops in FFIX, but the wall behind the characters in Gizamaluke's lair is fucking awesome, and I wish I could get an artists rendition of it to hang on my wall. Fucking awesome.

Pffft, I have trouble getting anything past one item from the fucking Hill Gigas. It took me almost ten minutes just to get the Ice Rod from Gizamaluke. Fucker.

Speaking of Gizamaluke, I've just remembered something. I never really have taken notice of stuff like backdrops in FFIX, but the wall behind the characters in Gizamaluke's lair is fucking awesome, and I wish I could get an artists rendition of it to hang on my wall. Fucking awesome.

Yeah, in IX-2 I intend/intended to make it a more significant location, considering how awesome the design of FFIX is, that and the Ice Cavern standing out just shows how wonderful they really are. I miss cartoony FF's :(