Soul Calibur IV

PkmnTrainerJ

Anyone else picked this up or played other Soul Calibur games? Last one (and first one) I played was 2 and I found it was great fun. The story is quite good too and having custom characters and all those little bits in there has made it better than I'd thought.

Also, despite numerous retries to get him, The Apprentice fucking rules. I'd been training and now I just levitate and force lightning everything that stands in my way. :P

How do you levitate and do force lightning?

Down + A & B and then Up will Force Levitate you and then I think the lightning is a B+K.

Yeah, I think it's B+K

Edited by PkmnTrainerJ

I don't like it as much as SCII (the last one I played), if only because it's such a move in a different direction in terms of the weapons etc. I loved Soul Edge on the PS1, and the shift in gameplay is making it seem a lot more like Virtua Fighter to me than the original games. The Star Wars characters are a bit of a cheap gimmick too, and don't sit as well as the three "guest stars" in SCII.

Still, I do enjoy playing the game and it's as fun as I remember it being. I loved Raphael in SCII and continue to do so in this one, and I've also used Angol Fear (one of the special Anime characters) alot recently. It's good fun if you don't take it too seriously. I still don't enjoy it as much as Tekken (or, to some extent, DOA), but I don't have a PS3 so this will sit quite nicely until the next DOA.

You enjoyed Dead or Alive 4? That's even possible?

DOA should never be taken seriously. It wasn't as good as other DOA's in the past (I loved DOA 3) but it was all that it needed to be. Especially after the Volleyball disasters...

No, I didn't say take seriously, I said wanted to know how it was possible to enjoy DOA4? On the easiest difficulty the boss rapes everything with a ten foot clown pole, the computer doesn't counter your moves it counters your inputs and if it decides you die now, you die now and there's nothing you can do to stop it. That's not fun. At all.

I've always enjoyed this game since the days of the first Soul Calibur in the arcade, when I beat two older dudes with Siegfried after they talked a bunch of crap and said shit like "show that kid how real men play games." Or something hilariously geeky and sad like that. I've played and owned every Soul Cal since, including finding Soul Edge at a Pamida for the PS1.

One thing I hate about this game is the fact that they took out all of the custom character weapon classes, as it allowed for your fighters to have some individuality in regards to the main characters. Still, I've always rocked with with Siegfried as he's been Mr. Reliable for me in this franchise.

RE: Apprentice

Lack of combos, yep. He has...two or three moves that stun. His air combos are air controllable. His 3b whiffs a lot randomly anyway (seems like a bug). Again, he has like 3 lows. 44k is SUPER slow. 2b+k leaves you at disadvantage ON HIT.

The best thing about him is that he does damage.