Facebook The Movie

Guest Ant

Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin has agreed to make a film about the founders of social networking site Facebook.

Sorkin, who created US TV drama The West Wing and wrote the Tom
Hanks movie Charlie Wilson's War, has even opened a Facebook account to
aid his research.

"I figured a good first step in my preparation would be finding out what Facebook is, so I've started this page," he wrote.

He said the project was a joint venture between Sony and producer Scott Rudin.

Sony has confirmed the as-yet-untitled project is in development.

Relying on fans

Sorkin added he was aware of other pages on Facebook from people
who claimed to be him, but had decided it was "flattering more than
creepy".

"This is me," he insisted. "I don't know how I can prove that but feel free to test me."
The 47-year-old admitted he did not really understand Facebook, or
"how I'm going to write the movie", so was relying on fans to help him.

"I honestly don't know how this works, which is why I'm here," Sorkin said.

"If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them as best I can. If anyone has any comments, I'm glad to listen."

Before signing off, Sorkin joked: "I feel about this
introduction the way I felt about Sophie's Choice - It could have been
funnier."

Since joining Facebook, the writer has been responding to
questions and comments from fans, leading to some further revelations
about the forthcoming film.

"I have a fairly specific idea of what the first 15 pages of
the screenplay will be and no idea what will happen on pages 16 thru
130," he wrote.

"I have very strong feelings about the internet and its effect
on our national culture, but frankly those feelings are being countered
by the sophistication, kindness, curiosity and wit of the posts in this
site.

"You people are screwing me up with your civility and intelligence."

Facebook was founded by Mark Zuckerberg in February 2004 while studying at US university Harvard.

In the website's early days, membership was restricted to US students, but it now has more than 100 million users worldwide

Long article so had to put a Spoiler tag on it. Boggles the mind as to why Sony is getting involved. Thought they would of done Myspace first as it was the original social networking site.

Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin has agreed to make a film about the founders of social networking site Facebook.

Sorkin, who created US TV drama The West Wing and wrote the Tom

Hanks movie Charlie Wilson's War, has even opened a Facebook account to

aid his research.

"I figured a good first step in my preparation would be finding out what Facebook is, so I've started this page," he wrote.

He said the project was a joint venture between Sony and producer Scott Rudin.

Sony has confirmed the as-yet-untitled project is in development.

Relying on fans

Sorkin added he was aware of other pages on Facebook from people

who claimed to be him, but had decided it was "flattering more than

creepy".

"This is me," he insisted. "I don't know how I can prove that but feel free to test me."

The 47-year-old admitted he did not really understand Facebook, or

"how I'm going to write the movie", so was relying on fans to help him.

"I honestly don't know how this works, which is why I'm here," Sorkin said.

"If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them as best I can. If anyone has any comments, I'm glad to listen."

Before signing off, Sorkin joked: "I feel about this

introduction the way I felt about Sophie's Choice - It could have been

funnier."

Since joining Facebook, the writer has been responding to

questions and comments from fans, leading to some further revelations

about the forthcoming film.

"I have a fairly specific idea of what the first 15 pages of

the screenplay will be and no idea what will happen on pages 16 thru

130," he wrote.

"I have very strong feelings about the internet and its effect

on our national culture, but frankly those feelings are being countered

by the sophistication, kindness, curiosity and wit of the posts in this

site.

"You people are screwing me up with your civility and intelligence."

Facebook was founded by Mark Zuckerberg in February 2004 while studying at US university Harvard.

In the website's early days, membership was restricted to US students, but it now has more than 100 million users worldwide

Long article so had to put a Spoiler tag on it. Boggles the mind as to why Sony is getting involved. Thought they would of done Myspace first as it was the original social networking site.

There were a handful of semi popular social networking sites before Myspace came around. Purerave for example was one of them.

Sorkin is brilliant so I'm of course interested. And it seems to be about the makers of Facebook and not Facebook The Movie, as the title of the thread makes it out to be.

Edited by Snow White and the 7Ups

First and foremost: Pepsi, I watched the movie in your sig the other day and I boggled my mind - and not in a good way. The final line of the film will forever be etched in my mind. A friend and I have been walking around saying it to people ever since we saw it.

Secondly and not as important: Who the fuck wants to watch a movie about Facebook? I understand it is about the people who created Facebook, but damn if we're going to do that let's get a movie about good ol' Tom from MySpace. How much you wanna bet Fox options Meebo next?

Sorkin is brilliant so I'm of course interested. And it seems to be about the makers of Facebook and not Facebook The Movie, as the title of the thread makes it out to be.

It is about the makers of Facebook. There rise to "stardom" as it were. So the thread title is apt.

That's actually better than what I imagined when I heard "Facebook: The Movie". At first, I thought it was just going to be your typical teen movie with Facebook as a selling point/gimmick. But just because it sounds better still doesn't mean it sounds good. Unless Facebook is built upon treachery and dead hookers, I really don't care.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

For all any of us know, the people who built Facebook have actually had interesting lives. Can we please not rip into them unless we're certain they haven't?

For all any of us know, the people who built Facebook have actually had interesting lives. Can we please not rip into them unless we're certain they haven't?

No one ripped apart the people who built Facebook, they ripped apart the idea of a movie with Facebook at as a focal point.

But it's apparently, having read a bit more on it, about the people who built it and how other sites like it have changed things in present day. Facebook is probably going to be as much a focal point in the movie as computers were in the movie Pirates of Silicon Valley or sex was in Kinsey.

And Southland Tales isn't a movie for everyone, I happen to love it.

Edited by Snow White and the 7Ups