Red Dwarf Returning

Guest Ant

Robert Llewellyn, the Scrapheap Challenge and How Do They Do It? presenter who played android Kryten in the sci-fi show, told the Canadian network KTCS9 that BBC Worldwide had commissioned a new 60-minute episode that will be filmed in October for DVD release next year.

The series was created by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor as a spin-off of Dave Hollins: Space Cadet, a sketch they wrote for Radio 4 series Son of Cliché. It ran for eight seasons on BBC2 between 1988 and 1999 and also spawned spin-off novels. Grant left after series six, prompting Naylor to work with other writers, including Llewellyn.

It also made stars of Coronation Street actor and 6Music DJ Craig Charles, The Brittas Empire's Chris Barrie and Cbeebies' Danny John-Jules.

My GOD. I have been waiting for its return since the 8th series ended. Hope this invigorates some funding for the film.

This may be controvertial, but they should have left it with Rimmer kicking Death in the balls and running off. I'm glad it's back, but the last two series were a patch on the show in it's prime, and it's been nine years. I hope it'll be classic, but the jury's out.

I'm horrifyingly sceptical. Series 8 was very hit-and-miss and we're almost a decade removed from that. I'm also very much convinced that a film will never happen - and even if it could have, that ship sailed maybe five years ago.

Maybe if I go and rewatch some of series V and VI it might be possible for me to get hyped up for it. Or set myself up for disappointment once it's released. One of those.

Red Dwarf was brilliant and I love it dearly but this doesn't sit well with me whatsoever. Series VIII with the return to the alternate Red Dwarf was kinda sucky as was the change in the camera they used after series VI.

However series VII kinda had some decent moments and I enjoyed the return of Ace Rimmer and the Knight in the AR Machine.

Sweet, this news has made my day. I'm not such a critic of Season VIII as a lot of people, I felt while the stories within the shows were not of the best quality some of the actual comedy within the writing was the best Dwarf had seen. Wonderful news, now they need to get their arses in gear and film it :D