The Bill Hicks Story

tristy

Not every comedian from the south does jokes about NASCAR and monster trucks. Sorry if our more recent comic exports have given you that impression. Some southern comedians actually have something worth saying. Comedians like Bill Hicks.

Bill Hicks was raised in my native Texas. He occasionally wore cowboy boots and a hat on stage. He did not tell jokes about rednecks. Instead he talked about heavier stuff, making fun of the flaws in life and looking for truth in the world around him. Fellow comedian Brett Butler once described him this way: "He wanted to be Christ at his angriest." And of course, as so often seems to be the case of anyone with anything substantive and interesting to say these days, he never achieved more than mediocre success before dying from cancer at the age of 32 in 1994. Meanwhile Dane Cook will almost certainly live to 140, and die in a mansion surrounded by Playboy playmates. It’s a cruel world.

Apparently he achieved enough notoriety however, for Hollywood to latch onto him, Russell Crowe in particular. Crowe recently told the Syndney Morning Herald and told them he’s developing a movie based on Hicks’ life. There’s a script currently being written by Australian Mark Staffer and word is that Crowe himself may end up playing Bill. Oddly enough, there is some small physical resemblance between the two.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Russell-Cro...Hicks-9892.html

I'm listening to Dangerous, and Will popped up and our conversation reminded me about this little tidbit I found on another forum. I'm unsure about Crowe as Bill Hicks, but anything that gets more people to know his material is good, atleast in my eyes.

Bill Hicks had such a unique dynamic on stage and in life that would lend itself very well to drama. Moments like the 'Freebird Incident' or anytime he attacked a heckler seemed like they should have been taking place in a film rather than reality. I'd love to see a smart movie that showed this genius struggling to connect and contextualize his message with the populace.

I love Bill Hicks...and I mean LOVE the guy's work, which is one of the high points in stand up comedy in my eyes. However, and I know this was mentioned before but...RUSSELL FUCKING CROWE?! Come on! I really, REALLY have a hard time picturing Russell Crowe as Bill Hicks. Like, I really DON'T see it at all.

Hell, maybe the guy could pull it off. It'd be one hell of a transformation if he did.

If this project comes off, I would be rushing to see it. Totally love Hicks' work.

However, I would have said that Bill Murray was virtually a spitting image of Bill Hicks...if Murray was some 20 years younger. But I think Murray could play the role quite well if called upon.