R.I.P. Ron Asheton

VerbalPuke

I found out today that Ron Asheton died at the age of 60, it's a blow to the music world as Asheton is one of the greatest guitar players to ever live.

Who is Ron Asheton? The guitar player of the Stooges of course, and true pioneer in his own right. It's a shame that a lot of people aren't aware of his impact on rock and roll, and probably don't realize he was just as important to the Stooges sound as Iggy Pop.

R.I.P. Ron Asheton, your death is No Fun.

Edited by VerbalPuke

I found out today that Ron Asheton died at the age of 60, it's a blow to the music world as Asheton is one of the greatest guitar players to ever live.

Who is Ron Asheton? The guitar player of the Stooges of course, and true pioneer in his own right. It's a shame that a lot of people aren't aware of his impact on rock and roll, and probably don't realize he was just as important to the Stooges sound as Iggy Pop.

R.I.P. Scott Asheton, your death is No Fun.

Scott? (and I also get the pun with that line)

What I've heard of Iggy/Stooges, which is a handful of tracks, is pretty good. Not really into them though, but certainly not a band I'm going outlaw getting into. Got "Gimme Danger", complete with Iggy intro, on the Driv3r soundtrack, and "Be Your Dog" is good too.

Shame in a way, I'm resistant to listen to the tracks I do have by Iggy and/or Stooges because the tags are fucked up and being a Last.fm-er, I'm a bit anal about tags, so don't wanna log something with the wrong data, and I haven't got round to checking them yet.

Edited by TheModernWay

Well, it looks like seeing Iggy play live with the Stooges is never going to get crossed off my bucket list. I've seen the Iguanaman, but everyone knows there is something special about the Stooges backing him and Asheton was a big part of that.

Holy shit man, that sucks.

If I remember correctly, Ron was the only member of The Stooges that wasn't binging smack, right? He was a proper influential rock and roll player, and it's a shame to see him go. I really, really wanted to go see Iggy play live with the Asheton Brothers too.

Here's hoping he and Dave Alexander are hanging upstairs now.