MLS 2009

HailtotheYo

Soccernet

Good read. It's an article on the guys like Beasely/Convey that would be better off coming back to the states/MLS to play.

But in my opinion they wouldn't. Looking at players like Convey and Beasley they are too good for the MLS and should be playing somewhere in Europe. I've watched Beasley play live and seen Convey for Readin a few times on TV and both of them have looked quality players. Maybe a mopve to a different league would be good for them, but back to the MLS is not the way to go.

I have to laugh in that article that you posted HTTK, the report stating that he doesn't see why someone would want to move to Scandinavia to play their football. One major thing would make me want to go there than back to the MLS and that is Champions League Football. All players want to play in the big cups and whether that be the Champions League/UEFA Cup in Europe or the Copa Libertadores in South America. And frankly your version of the Champions League is lesser than both these in terms of prestige. It also doesn't help that the tournament is completely dominated by Mexican teams.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, players would rather move somewhere in Europe to play the best teams in the Champions League/UEfa Cup, where they have the chance to pit their skills against the Barcelona's, Milan's, Chelsea's, Manchester United's, Madrid's of this world rather than going back to America where the sport is overshadowed by the NFL and NHL and the biggest teams you will be Pachuca, Necaxa or Cruz Azul.

I don't think its much of a choice :blush:

You missed the entire point. There's a reason that Convey/Beasley/Johnson were mentioned is because they all have the same storyline. They all had/have the potential/promise but have faced an injury setback among other things in regards to their European careers. The focus would be to bring them back to MLS in order for them to ACTUALLY PLAY. That's the key to the entire thing.

I'm not even beginning to debate the MLS against the rest of the world's soccer leagues. Believe me, I know where it sits. That's a seperate point all together. I completely agree that it is a smarter move for those type of players from the US to go and play elsewhere ... IF THEY PLAY. These three aren't. What they need is to get back on the pitch and be able to play without the added pressure of "an American in Europe."

Beasley's situation is horrible. He doesn't fit in the system at Rangers but has managed to show flashes of his ability, yet is more often than not, not even on the game squad. Convey struggles just to get on the pitch at all, and Johnson has only 5 starts in his 19 showings at Cardiff. The point here, is that these guy's AREN'T playing European ball. They've just got really good tickets to the matches. Huge difference. These three in particular would more than likely get the shot in the ass that they need should they come back and play an MLS season or two.

We differ in opinion as far as going abroad to play just for the sake of it. In terms of overall quality, some of the leagues these guys are in aren't much (if at all) better than the MLS. Your one catch is Champion's League competition. How's Cardiff doing in that, or Fulham ? How about Reading ? These three have no shot at that. Fulham has an outside shot at UEFA at best, and that's probably stretching it. If they were playing on sides that had these chances (save Rangers), then it'd be a different story. But the norm, is that they aren't on those clubs. As it stands now, they're lucky to be on a team that makes CL/UEFA competition. If they do, they're lucky to be on the bench let alone get the experience.

Notice I didn't mention anything about the Jozy Altidores, Freddy Adus, Tim Howards, Brad Freidals, Jonathon Spectors, Frank Simeks, or Michael Bradleys. They don't fit this bill. Convey, Beasley, and Johnson do.

It's another discussion all together about the Americas version of the Champion's League. It's also another discussion entirely about how much better some of those leagues really are in comparison to the MLS.

Oh, just for shits and giggles I looked this up:

FIFA Club World Cup

Intercontinental Cup

That says plenty about the quality of play/clubs in the Americas. So having more of our guys in the cup/club competitions here could only be a good thing.

Edited by HailtotheKing

But can a guy like Convey, with two years of Premiership experience highlighting his CV, really benefit by toiling away at FC Nordsjaelland, FC Midtjylland or any other of the difficult-to-pronounce, consonant-heavy alphabet soup of Scandinavian clubs?

That was the quote that really annoyed me. These teams have been in the European competitions yearly and from that you would get experience of playing first team and also having the benefit of playing against the best players in the World.

Convey is a player that could become a part of the Reading first team, and with the way they are playing just now could be playing against Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal next season. Maybe he could do with a move away, but he has the quality to be playing top flight German/Dutch football. As your report says Beasley enjoyed his best seasons at PSV, therefore if Rangers were to sell him I couldn't see him going back to the MLS. He wants to play top flight football against the best players which he won't get in the MLS.

You've highlighted three players playing in BRITISH leagues, everyone knows that the Scottish and English leagues are ones for tough tacklers and not for flair players. Maybe these players just don't have enough strength about them to get in the team. I don't know if it's the same in England but in Scotland we've got to have two under 21 players in the first team squad, therefore Beasley's place is usually forfeited for a youngster.

I know what you are saying but these players are too good for the MLS, and maybe if they moved to a league such as the Dutch, German or Portuguese then we would see their own quality shine through. Leagues where the emphasis is allowing players to use their quality.

Also the Championship in England is much better than the MLS in my opinion, more quality players etc.

But can a guy like Convey, with two years of Premiership experience highlighting his CV, really benefit by toiling away at FC Nordsjaelland, FC Midtjylland or any other of the difficult-to-pronounce, consonant-heavy alphabet soup of Scandinavian clubs?

That was the quote that really annoyed me. These teams have been in the European competitions yearly and from that you would get experience of playing first team and also having the benefit of playing against the best players in the World.

Yeah, that's one of the big things that I don't like about many of the people that cover soccer here. They're about as smarky for MLS as you can get and it's rather annoying really. I only point to the fact that these Americans aren't playing. If they were, different story.

Convey is a player that could become a part of the Reading first team, and with the way they are playing just now could be playing against Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal next season. Maybe he could do with a move away, but he has the quality to be playing top flight German/Dutch football. As your report says Beasley enjoyed his best seasons at PSV, therefore if Rangers were to sell him I couldn't see him going back to the MLS. He wants to play top flight football against the best players which he won't get in the MLS.

Convey actually was a huge part of Reading's promotion and first year EPL surprise. But he hasn't done anything in the year and a half since. I agree that he's got the skill to play at a higher level than the MLS but he runs into the same problem as Beasley. Those top flight leagues play a style of football that effectively take him out of that skill set. He's a smaller guy and can't grind it out over and over each week. Sure they WANT to play top flight football but their bodies can't hold up to it and it's shown the last couple of years. They can't get off the injury bug because of it. Again, I'm talking about these three players specifically. I'm also not talking about a permanent move.

... in Scotland we've got to have two under 21 players in the first team squad, therefore Beasley's place is usually forfeited for a youngster.

and that only gives me more reason to beg the question of "why not leave ?" Not only is he competing for the squad place against normal first squad guys, but he's got to deal with young player slots required by the league ? That doesn't seem like a smart choice at all for him. Again, if it were a situation like at PSV where he was a regular inclusion in the sqaud then absolutely. But he's not even cracking the squad and if he doesn't, then he more than likely loses the spot on the bench to a youngster that more than likely isn't better than him in most cases ? To me that's just a bad career choice. Coming back to the MLS for a year to actually get playing time can only benefit these three guys. They need their confidence back and they also need to show clubs around the world that they can play everyday. Staying with Reading/Rangers/Fulham(Cardiff) won't allow this because they won't get the regular opportunities. While still behind, the MLS is a viable enough league for them to come and get "playing time" with. I mean, Dempsey/McBride/the GK's all played in the MLS when it was a FAAAAAAARRRR worse league than it is now and were plucked by European clubs and have excelled. Playing in the league for a season now certainly won't hurt them. Playing > sitting, period.

I know what you are saying but these players are too good for the MLS, and maybe if they moved to a league such as the Dutch, German or Portuguese then we would see their own quality shine through. Leagues where the emphasis is allowing players to use their quality.

I 100% agree with this and would have no issue with them moving on after coming back for a season. I'm not talking about a permanent move for them. I'm merely talking about bringing them back to get back to regular playing.

Also the Championship in England is much better than the MLS in my opinion, more quality players etc.

not sure where that came from, but ok. I agree with you. I'd actually valuate the MLS at around League 1 level ... with a sprinkle of bottome of the Championship.

Yeah it seems as thought he is being reported as going to San Jose which should allow him to get some playing time as has been mentioned. I believe as HTTK that if Convey is able to show quality again in the next season or so he can head back over to somewhere in Europe again. I think this move will also give him a chance to get back on the radar for the 2010 WC which he has almost completely fallen off of since his playing time has been limited. I defiantly believe that he can be a quality player he just needs to get his confidence back and he should be able to do that in San Jose.

BMO Field needs to get rid of the Field Turf and get a real grass pitch. I had thought they were going to use the funds from selling Edu to Rangers to get a real grass pitch, but I can't find anything to back that up.

Not exactly a big deal but Toronto FC just signed Pablo Vitti a former U20 player for Argentina that won the tournament in '05. It is to be seen as to weather he pans out but it has been nice to see the MLS go after young South American players rather then continue to throw money at players that may be closer to washed up. Hopefully it is a trend that continues through the off season and in the future.

Also for anyone that has been paying attention the rumored asking price that the Galaxy want for Beckham is $22 million, which even though would be the highest transfer paid for a MLS player I think is a good number. He has been in form so far for Milan and losing Beckham would likely cost the Galaxy a good deal in attendance since that was basically there main draw. Compact that with the fact that they will possibly also lose Donovan to Munich and that makes even more sense for them to ask for that much.

Gomez back in DC

I like the move, and if Gomez even plays HALF as good as he did in '06 then this move is an absolute raping of Colorado by DC. Almost everyone shit on Gomez for his play in Colorado, but I don't think he ever fit the team. He fits in DC. With Gallardo gone, Gomez can step right in and has a chance to be the factor he was his first time around here.

Fred - Emilio - Gomez - Moreno ...... that could be very dangerous. If Olsen can find his old form and if McTavish doesn't fall off the face of the earth, DC might be the most improved team. Now, to find a keeper <_<

As for Beckham ... 22m is a bit much in my opinion. I'd say around 15-18m would be reasonable. The league (and Galaxy) can't even begin to recover the monies lost by him not being here so trying to negotiate a price based on that is pretty dumb in the first place. That'd be ideal, but it isn't going to happen. His jersey sales alone bring in ridiculous amounts of revenue. Rather than create a circus (more so than what is already out there), just get a fair value and move on.

Gomez back in DC

I like the move, and if Gomez even plays HALF as good as he did in '06 then this move is an absolute raping of Colorado by DC. Almost everyone shit on Gomez for his play in Colorado, but I don't think he ever fit the team. He fits in DC. With Gallardo gone, Gomez can step right in and has a chance to be the factor he was his first time around here.

Fred - Emilio - Gomez - Moreno ...... that could be very dangerous. If Olsen can find his old form and if McTavish doesn't fall off the face of the earth, DC might be the most improved team. Now, to find a keeper <_<

As for Beckham ... 22m is a bit much in my opinion. I'd say around 15-18m would be reasonable. The league (and Galaxy) can't even begin to recover the monies lost by him not being here so trying to negotiate a price based on that is pretty dumb in the first place. That'd be ideal, but it isn't going to happen. His jersey sales alone bring in ridiculous amounts of revenue. Rather than create a circus (more so than what is already out there), just get a fair value and move on.

MLS should negotiate from the position of covering revenue lost. Remember, Beckham has said himself that if a deal is not worked out, he will play for LA when his loan to AC Milan is up. If they want, they can just keep him and not lose out on that income.

Edited by Toe

MLS should negotiate from the position of covering revenue lost. Remember, Beckham has said himself that if a deal is not worked out, he will play for LA when his loan to AC Milan is up. If they want, they can just keep him and not lose out on that income.

I agree, however they aren't going to come close to covering the revenue lost by the team/league if he goes. That's why I said fair value and move on. Yeah, he said he'd come back but that was before he found out "oops, I'm still really good." Now he's got that 'ol Beckham ting in his eye again. Sure, he'll come back to LA but it won't be the same as when he came originally. The fans here have already turned on him (majorally anyway) and the media is already crucifying him. Even with him back they're going to lose revenue. The circus I alluded to is the one that will be season long if he does indeed return. At this point the best thing to do is get a fair value and cut the losses at a minimum. The wrong thing to do is try and act like your balls are bigger than they are. The MLS has no room to puff its chest out in this situation. Be real about it and get it done.

It now looks like the MLS has set a deadline of Friday for a transfer deal of Beckham between the Galaxy and Milan. The MLS is saying that they wont approve a deal anytime after that, this could defiantly throw a wrench into the deal with only a couple more days left for a deal to be completed

Although sorta off topic I gotta say that I am really excited about the US - Mexico game tonight in Columbus. I am going to college in northern Ohio so I thought about going to the game but the weather and the price of tickets on my budget wouldn't allow it. Either way I am looking forward at starting the last round of WCQ well with at least some points.

DC United to Maryland

well, at least the stadium. After the Poplar Point deal died for the 14534257625478209345th time, they've finally moved on. That's the good news. Personally, them moving to PG county is good and bad. It's closer to me which is good. It'll be in PG county, which is VERY BAD. Holy crap it's one of the worst counties in the country as far as crime etc.

either way, interesting read and I do hope that it happens. If one of the 12 sites is on the northern/western fringes of the county then it'll be all right.

I agree, however they aren't going to come close to covering the revenue lost by the team/league if he goes. That's why I said fair value and move on. Yeah, he said he'd come back but that was before he found out "oops, I'm still really good." Now he's got that 'ol Beckham ting in his eye again. Sure, he'll come back to LA but it won't be the same as when he came originally. The fans here have already turned on him (majorally anyway) and the media is already crucifying him. Even with him back they're going to lose revenue. The circus I alluded to is the one that will be season long if he does indeed return. At this point the best thing to do is get a fair value and cut the losses at a minimum. The wrong thing to do is try and act like your balls are bigger than they are. The MLS has no room to puff its chest out in this situation. Be real about it and get it done.

Really he needs to leave though, he clearly doesn't want to stay at LA any more. And I'm sure he wont care that the US are apparently crucifying him, seeings though Italy are now in love with him and the majority of Europe is really now high on him once again. He clearly wants to stay at Milan and get back to business. I understand the money issue, ut LA would e fools to take him back when he clearly doesn't want to play there at all any more. I'll e pissed if he doesn't get the move he wants, but that's football I guess.

Believe what you want but the MLS continues to grow each season and with more and more owning the stadiums they play in they will start to make money and actually be able to increase the talent level of the league which is already happening today. And as for nobody caring about the soccer in the US just look at the ratings for the past World Cups as well as tournaments such as Euro 08 which have started to catch the attention of even the casual fan. Football or soccer whatever you would like to call it has slowly been gaining popularity for years and I dont see any reason why it wont continue to grow in the US with so many areas still untapped.

• 2 weeks later...

Didnt want to double post but whatever, it looks like Beckham was able to come to agreement with the Galaxy to extend his loan for 2 months for $10 million! Beckham extends loan

We will see if that number is actually correct but if it is I think that it is a great move by the Galaxy, they get a good amount of cash and they also get him back from the last half of the season to help please there season ticket holders and sponsors. Although at this point it remains to be seen if $10 million is the correct figure. It also looks like Donovan is coming back although I wouldn't be surprised to see him get picked up by some other team once the summer window opens. And although Beasley isn't in the MLS right now it seems like he will probably be making a move in the summer with the speculated team being Schalke 04 in the Bundesliga.

With that being said the MLS season is now just over 2 weeks away in what I think should be an interesting season with a new potentially good expansion team in Seattle and also seeing how everything shakes out with the galaxy.