MLS 2009

HailtotheYo

I actually like RSL, and wouldn't mind seeing them in the Finals. Jason Kries was a fan-dabi-dozi (MLS) player, and fun to watch as a kid, and Beckerman is the tits. However, I'm rooting for an LA title, if only because it hopefully pushes Donovan to once again leave the MLS and head back overseas, preferably to England (only because it's what I watch). But please, Landeycakes, you're a horrible fit in Germany. Don't go there.

Wow, a fan-dabi-dozi match last night marred by TWO fucking power outages at the Home Depot Center. Outside of that ridiculous bullshit, the Western Conference Final was a good display.

It was 2am and all but worth it to me. We were out anyways so the time didn't matter. It does suck though, that most of the audience was lost. LA goes through in the overtime with two goals (one a PK). So my pick is still alive at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Completely unreal for the RSL guys.

The emotion of Andy Williams was a fan-dabi-dozi story for the MLS to run with.

I'm still kind of shocked really, considering the way that LA owned the first 60 mintues of the match. You could see the momentum shift though and by the 70 minute mark

it looked like LA was in slow motion.

Can't believe that Landycakes airmailed his PK. And uh, holy shit Rimando is a PK saving God.

It sucks that Movsisyan is leaving, I like his play upfront. Going to Randers (N) .. whatever. Well, the unprotected lists and the expansion draft for Philly are next on

the dockett.

It'll be interesting to see what the Galaxy look like next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Donavon make a move to Europe and who really knows what Beckham is going to do he'll be on loan again. For the MLS in general I wouldn't be surprised to see a big name or two take some DP money from the teams that still have their slot open after the World Cup finishes up.

And to add on, they acquired Chris Seitz from RSL in a trade, and this is why no RSL player was taken in the draft. The two made a deal: Seitz for no RSL player.

Love this move, as Seitz has a bright future, but it does make the pick of Knighton seem pointless, especially when you had a veteran defender like Jay Heaps on the NE unprotected list.

^ that .. unless they nabbed him in order to trade him for another selection in the SuperDraft. Only thing I can think of.

that, or they're going with Seitz as they're number one and have the kid as a backup so they can concentrate on field players in the Draft ... dunno just kind of weird.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Saw this pop up on Sky Sports News earlier, possible MLS players strike.

For weeks, the MLS Players Union has insisted that it was unified enough to initiate a work stoppage. On Thursday, the players moved a step closer towards proving their point, with multiple sources indicating that they voted 383-2 to go on strike if a new collective bargaining agreement between the union and MLS has not been agreed upon by 12:01 a.m. ET on March 23.

The vote was conducted March 1 by secret ballot, and it now grants the union's Bargaining Committee the authority to call a strike. Barring a settlement or change in plan, the work stoppage is set to begin just two days before the first game of the season between Seattle Sounders FC and the expansion Philadelphia Union, with one MLSPU source stating, "We don't want Philadelphia getting on the plane."

Pat Onstad and the MLS players union voted 383-2 in favor of a strike.

The vote is the clearest indication yet of the lengths the union will go to in order to obtain more guaranteed contracts, fewer unilateral contract options, and some form of free agency for out of contract players.

"I think from our perspective it was nice to know that we are unified," said MLSPU executive board member and Houston Dynamo goalkeeper Pat Onstad. "We can say we're unified all we want, but for guys to put pen to paper, it was a good sign of solidarity.

"We're a long way off from getting a deal done, and we're not going to play soccer until the CBA is changed. We think it's very unfair, and we feel it needs to be a fair contract before we sign it."

Thursday's disclosure set off a predictable round of point/counterpoint between the MLSPU and the league, even as the two sides completed three days of meetings with federal mediator George H. Cohen in attendance.

MLS President Mark Abbott said in a prepared statement, "We have an understanding with the Union and the mediator that we will not publicly discuss what takes places during these bargaining sessions. As such, we were disappointed to see comments from a number of players characterizing the status of the negotiations and the possibility of a strike.... We do believe that the players' comments do not accurately reflect the proposals that we have made to address the players' concerns or the productive nature of the discussions between MLS and the Players Union."

Union Executive Director Bob Foose responded by saying that the strike vote and refusal to play without a new CBA "is not a change in position by the [MLSPU] and should not be read to reflect in any way upon what has, or has not, occurred this week in the meetings with the mediator and the league."

But Abbott went on to highlight the silver lining regarding the current state of the negotiations. Namely, that the two sides have agreed to continue talks in the presence of Cohen next week, this after a series of discussions that the MLS executive called "productive."

Just how productive the talks have been neither side would say, given Cohen's gag order. Both sides had also agreed that as long as Cohen is present, neither side would initiate a work stoppage. Thursday's announcement now puts a clear limit for how long the mediator will be involved in the proceedings.

As for how next week's talks will play out, Onstad admitted that the union hopes the strike vote will bring "a different dynamic into the room." If the union is to achieve its goals, that change in tenor is imperative. The MLSPU clearly has only one card left to play, and that is to follow through with its threat to go on strike. That said, other union sources indicated they haven't abandoned all hope that a deal can be hammered out.

"It's getting down to it, we don't have much time left," said one veteran player who asked not to be identified. "The process is very slow and has really lingered on and now we're left with [two weeks] or so until the start of the season. There is a lot of work to do still. It's going to be a busy week next week."

Jeff Carlisle covers MLS and the U.S. national team for ESPNsoccernet. He is also the author of "Soccer's Most Wanted II: The Top 10 Book of More Glorious Goals, Superb Saves and Fantastic Free-Kicks." He also writes for Centerlinesoccer.com and can be reached at eljefe1@yahoo.com.

- ESPN Soccernet

• Lineker changed the title to MLS 2009