Helio Gracie Passes Away

Gene Kiniski

I know we have a MMA Thread, but this expands out of it, IMO. Plus, why should all talk be stuck in one thread?

Helio Gracie, the father of Gracie jiu-jitsu, is dead at the age of 95. Gracie passed in his sleep early Thursday in Itaipaiva, Rio de Janeiro, after he had been admitted to a local hospital a few days prior for stomach problems.

“He passed the way he always wanted to –- quick and fast,” said an immediate relative, who asked not to be identified. The relative said Gracie’s body would be buried on Thursday.

The youngest of Cesalina and Gastao Gracie’s eight children, he learned traditional jiu-jitsu by watching his brother, Carlos, teach it, but his small frame made it difficult for him to execute the moves. As a result, he adapted techniques to fit his limited physical ability and gave rise to modern-day Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Gracie was involved in two legendary fights. He lost to Masahiko Kimura -- a man who outweighed him by some 40 pounds -- in 1951 when Carlos threw in the towel after Kimura broke Gracie’s arm with the shoulder lock that now bears his name. Four years later, Gracie fought former student Valdemar Santana for nearly four hours before losing.

His impact on the sport of mixed martial arts was profound. His son, Rorion, was credited with developing the concept that became the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and another of his sons, Royce, won the first two UFC tournaments in 1993 and 1994. Two other sons, Rickson and Royler, also competed in MMA.

Gracie is survived by his wife Vera; his sons Rickson, Royler, Rolker, Royce, Relson, Robin and Rorion; his daughters Rerika and Ricci, as well as numerous siblings, nieces, nephews, and grandchildren.

Rest in peace. Without him MMA would be nothing.

When I first heard about this, I was shocked a little bit, but it's nothing I didn't expect. Let's face it, the guy was in his 90's and his time was right around the corner. He did do a lot for the sport of Mixed Martial Arts as has the entire Gracie family as a whole. May he rest in peace and his place in the ever expanding sport of MMA will not be forgotten.

Also, I wonder if the UFC will give mention to him Saturday night at 94.

Dang, although it's weird we were talking about him still being alive the other day. Pivotal figure in MMA that so many of the guys today owe a lot to. Compared to most sports MMA is a newborn baby so we won't know for a while, but hopefully he won't be forgotten when it comes to remembering the sports roots.

I'll be really surprised if he isn't at least mentioned this Saturday.

Edited by Private ZJ

No doubt there will be mention of this. They'll do the usually pre-show memorial photo, probably mention it briefly in the broadcast at some point.

From everything I've heard from Helio, he seems the most level headed of all the Gracies. Because God knows the other member of his family have been known to take a dip in the delusional pool every once in a while.

RIP Helio.

A monumental figure in the world of MMA. He lived a damn long life, so not a shocking death, but he is a huge figure in the world of MMA through BJJ, so it's sad to hear. My brother trains under one of the Gracie Barra students in this country, he always talks about this family.

Damn that's a shame. Was reading an article on him in a Men's Health magazine the other week, he was still very active late into his age and still enjoyed practicing jiu-jitsu. He's really helped shape MMA into what it is and I hope the UFC give him a deserved mention at the start of their show, as the Gracie's are a massive reason as to their own success so it's the right thing to do.

RIP Helio

Dang, although it's weird we were talking about him still being alive the other day. Pivotal figure in MMA that so many of the guys today owe a lot to. Compared to most sports MMA is a newborn baby so we won't know for a while, but hopefully he won't be forgotten when it comes to remembering the sports roots.

I'll be really surprised if he isn't at least mentioned this Saturday.

actually, compared to most sports not named, Running, Discus, Jumping, Shot-Put and Wrestling. MMA has been around just as long. sure it was called Pankration back then, but it's been around. It's only recently hit a popular stride in America. But MMA has been around for ages.

R.I.P. Helio Gracie.

I'd say they were very similar, but not the same.

And when I say sports I'm talking more boxing, football, baseball etc. than pure athletic one.

i'd say they were the same. The definition of Mixed Martial Arts is mixing syles. Pankration mixed styles it may not be 100% like modern MMA, but 1890 Football isn't like the current NFL is it?

1890 football evolved into modern football, pankration didn't evolve into MMA. MMA is specifically an amalgamation of separate martial arts, not just a very loose ruleset.

True, and false. MMA is a mix of martial arts, as was Pankration. Pankration mixes different arts, and techniques, thus it qualifies as MMA. Pankration was MMA before MMA was called MMA and Before it was called NHB or Vale Tudo. MMA started out as Pankration.