World Baseball Classic Discussion

Maxx

I kind of missed the boat on this discussion of the Group Stages, so let me just say that despite the massive disappointment that was Team Canada this year (really? 2 runs against Italy?), there was some great baseball at the Rogers Centre. Group C was book ended by two sensational ball games, both exciting and close right up until the final out. The Venezuelan pitching really held it down in their second go around with the Americans, and if they can get that kind of consistency from their guys in the pen then that heart of the order is really going to be tough to contend with. I'd also like to give kudos to the Venezuelan fans, who really made the two go-arounds with Italy into cultural experiences if not particularly spectacular displays of baseball on-field. They were upbeat, singing, dancing, clapping and really felt like they were there because they loved the game. This is something that is all too rare in Toronto, and I was pleased to be around these fans. Now trying to tell an upbeat, singing, dancing, clapping Venezuelan who doesn't speak English that it's time to leave because the cleaning crew is coming in? Not so pleasing.

And I was at the Leafs game so I missed it on TV, but the States got fucking MERCIED?! Holy fuck!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope two teams go through from each pool or Australia are FUUUUUUUUCKED.

Yes, and like Australia can beat Mexico anyway?

We mercy ruled their ass.

Was pretty impressed with the Aussies. Our batting was good enough but our pitching lacks. Once we were eliminated I lost interest pretty quickly.

I hope two teams go through from each pool or Australia are FUUUUUUUUCKED.

Yes, and like Australia can beat Mexico anyway?

We mercy ruled their ass.

Was pretty impressed with the Aussies. Our batting was good enough but our pitching lacks. Once we were eliminated I lost interest pretty quickly.

OK, so I was wrong.

Then again, it was a weird year. The Dutch beat the Dominicans twice.