EWB Sports Discussion #7

sahyder1

Most of us can come up with a decent size list of of great sports memories we've had in our lifetimes. Well....this thread isn't for that. This past week marked the 17 year anniversary of Pakistan winning the 1992 Cricket World Cup. Simply the greatest sports memory I have. I remember I had a Math exam the next day but really didn't study much that day completely in awe of what was going on TV.

Simple enough....what's your favorite sport memory?

Previous Discussions:

EWB Sports Discussion #5 - Gambling and Sports

EWB Sports Discussion #5 - Sports Venues

EWB Sports Discussion #4 - Super Bowl Monday Edition

EWB Sports Discussion #3 - NFL Overtime Edition

EWB Sports Discussion #2 - NFL Playoffs Tweak

EWB Sports Discussion #1 - Steroids and the Hall of Fame

I feel like this should really involve a team I support, but it's got to be the Liverpool/Milan Champions League Final in Istanbul. I was watching it with a casual Manchester United fan and despite the fact that neither of us supported Liverpool (and he should have been pretty cynical about them) we couldn't believe our eyes at the beginning of the second half. We literally leapt out of our seats when the third goal went in - definitely one of the most unbelievable sporting moments I can possibly envisage.

I tried thinking of a moment from the Ravens' run to the Super Bowl, but it was really just one long moment of our defense not letting anybody beat us for about 3 months. Sticking with Baltimore though, I can remember the seeming 2 years of buildup and then finally the moment Cal Ripken's 2,131 happened. As a 7 year old boy, it left such a positive imprint on myself to see someone go to work every day he was asked to for 13 years. Even though the streak meant very little for the team, it was just such a great thing to be a part of. To think that the city I lived in and my favorite player on its baseball team were the center of the whole country's attention for that event is something that was just awesome to experience at such a young age. And of course I remember when he hit that home run in the game, my dad swore he could feel the rumble from people all over the city going crazy.

A funny addition to the story is that when 2,130 and/or 2,131 are occasionally re-aired on local Baltimore television (rarer and rarer every year it seems) is that we always get the HTS announce crew of Mel Proctor and John Lowenstein.

Edited by damshow