The SNL Thread

The Space Opera thing was cringeworthy and I couldn't listen to the On A Boat thing all the way through. I don't know if it's a running theme or what have you, but to me not making sense =/= being funny. I'm sure I'm missing the point terribly, but yeah. The guy in SRR's sig is annoying.

Good god are you getting outraged over the fact that someone doesn't find the digital shorts funny.

Are you confusing analysis with outrage? Something to look into.

No serious analysis would actually start with "I cannot believe anybody can dislike the digital shorts." But fine, you're not outraged, you're just taking this entirely too seriously.

As for the Space Olympics, Kaney, I dunno; something about the lyrics once the whole thing started falling apart amused me a good deal, though I think I remembered getting bored of it by the end. But the middle stretch did make me laugh.

It is. Which is why I will continue to watch and support comedy that I personally continue to find funny, as opposed to most of the stuff off of Incredibad.

lol, this guy going into the artistic merit of the comedy of the Lonely Island.

"The way he fucks the gigantic fish prop brings a tear to my eye, and when he delivers the lyric 'Fuck trees I climb buoys motherfucker'.. it gets my every time" :lol:

I love the shorts. But calm down bud. <_<

I didn't realize it was such a cardinal sin to look at why somebody's comedy is successful. I'm not debating artistic merit, but I am saying Lonely Island's shit works, and if it bugs some people, that's fine, they're entitled to be a cynic asshole who hates what other people like. This is the internet. But recognize that there's a reason people like Lonely Island's comedy.

Also, I would never write the sentence you "quoted," because it seems to conflate Akiva and Andy into one single being. How about do some research? GAWD.

and if it bugs some people, that's fine, they're entitled to be a cynic asshole who hates what other people like.

Wow, yeah. You're not offended by the fact that some people don't like them at all. HOW DARE WE NOT LIKE THE THINGS YOU LIKE, WE MUST BE HUGE DOUCHEBAGS

I just want to chime in and say I think Kristen Wiig is hands down the funniest on the show. Not that the rest of the cast isn't talented (the only exception being Keenan Thompson... I HATE him with a passion...) but Kristen is so god damn funny.

I just want to chime in and say I think Kristen Wiig is hands down the funniest on the show. Not that the rest of the cast isn't talented (the only exception being Keenan Thompson... I HATE him with a passion...) but Kristen is so god damn funny.

Kristen is talented, but sketched built around her have a tendency to get really lazy really quickly. She's a good impersonator and she can be really funny, but once a sketch is built around her, it becomes this virtuoso thing where instead of timing or delivery or build we're supposed to laugh just because she's talented and can talk fast in various midwestern accents.

D'Go: stop being a HUGE DOUCHEBAG. I know it's tough.

Edited by the machine

Oh yeah, I totally agree. But I think even when they just write really lazy for Kristen, it's hilarious. She is just a naturally funny and talented person who, in my opinion, makes anything really funny. I think the problem is when they start to give her reoccuring characters is when it gets bad. Her humour comes from it being funny one time only, no repeats. When you start repeating her characters, it just gets bad quickly. Magruber works because it can be funny over and over again... its the basis for the entire sketch. Her characters... not so much.

Edited by PunkRockPete

I cannot believe anybody can dislike the digital shorts. They're catchy, multi-layered parodies. Reducing it to "white guys acting black" is missing all kinds of humor, not to mention it ignores the fact that these bits are just FUN. Take this week's "Like a Boss." Why is it funny? Well, it's an over-the-top parody of an over-the-top song, but it's also a parody of corporate culture (Promote Synergy... LIKE A BOSS!), combined with some funny sight gags (the fish) and a great build of increasing insanity plus the recognition at the end ("that's an average day? You cut off your balls and die?!), makes it a solid 2 minutes. Compare that to a 4 minute "Kristen Wiig talks fast" sketch. And Like a Boss isn't even a great short, just a good one. The videos add great sight gags, and a number of the songs are legitimately catchy.

This X a million.

GoGo, I think you're missing his point. He's basically saying that it's humourous, hella catchy and a fun 2 minute sketch. And many people respond to that. And if you like it, that's fine. And there's no problem with disliking it either. But trying to reduce it to "white guys acting black" misses some of the humour.

I cannot believe anybody can dislike the digital shorts. They're catchy, multi-layered parodies. Reducing it to "white guys acting black" is missing all kinds of humor, not to mention it ignores the fact that these bits are just FUN. Take this week's "Like a Boss." Why is it funny? Well, it's an over-the-top parody of an over-the-top song, but it's also a parody of corporate culture (Promote Synergy... LIKE A BOSS!), combined with some funny sight gags (the fish) and a great build of increasing insanity plus the recognition at the end ("that's an average day? You cut off your balls and die?!), makes it a solid 2 minutes. Compare that to a 4 minute "Kristen Wiig talks fast" sketch. And Like a Boss isn't even a great short, just a good one. The videos add great sight gags, and a number of the songs are legitimately catchy.

This X a million.

GoGo, I think you're missing his point. He's basically saying that it's humourous, hella catchy and a fun 2 minute sketch. And many people respond to that. And if you like it, that's fine. And there's no problem with disliking it either. But trying to reduce it to "white guys acting black" misses some of the humour.

Except the machine loses all credibility when he says things like

"I'm not debating artistic merit, but I am saying Lonely Island's shit works, and if it bugs some people, that's fine, they're entitled to be a cynic asshole who hates what other people like."

As if GoGo and like minded fellows are being cynical assholes purely because they dislike the unfunny sketches. Thats less us missing out on the humour, and more him reading more into it than is appropriate.

Except the machine loses all credibility when he says things like

"I'm not debating artistic merit, but I am saying Lonely Island's shit works, and if it bugs some people, that's fine, they're entitled to be a cynic asshole who hates what other people like."

As if GoGo and like minded fellows are being cynical assholes purely because they dislike the unfunny sketches. Thats less us missing out on the humour, and more him reading more into it than is appropriate.

Or it's me making a joke. Look at the context of the post.

Like A Boss is the funniest of the songs they've put out so far. I have no inspiration for I'm On a Boat at all, which was pretty stupid. Jizz in My Pants was funny the first couple of times, all things considered.

That said, I thought the High School Musical 4 parody was greatness last night. It wonderfully took the piss out of something that needed it, and Efron's not entirely wretched at acting or comedy, which shouldn't surprise me, but sometimes, it kind of does.

• 1 month later...