The Hockey Thread

Clawson

I occasionally check out PPP because sometimes they will link to my blog. However, I rarely post there and don't read the comments too much, just the articles. It's too one sided. I like to hear opinions from both sides instead of one joke about the Sens and five people agreeing.

Bob Gainey is reported to be stepping down as GM of the Montreal Canadiens today at 4pm.

Pierre Boivin has called a presser for 4 regarding immediate change in the management of the team.

If this is true, as it likely is, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

On the one hand there's Bob Gainey... One of the most respected players ever, possibly one of the best 2 way checkers in the history of the game. Habs captain for what? 9 years, 5 cups as a player, 1 as a GM in Dallas.

On the other hand, there's the fact that while Bob Gainey has pulled Montreal out of it's darkest times (1997 - 2004), he hasn't done much more since then and many have critisized his unwillingness to sign players during the season, and an inability to land a marquee player in Montreal (Although I was thrilled with Cammy).

Clearly having the level of respect that I do for the man, it's hard to say that I'd prefer someone else as GM. Gainey has at times been too patient, and dropped the ball repeatedly with impending UFA's, but I worry of the very real risk of the Habs hiring a francophone GM who decides that the team needs to be French and have a French captain etc etc and does what the mid 90's Habs did with Savard and tank... and then not even draft well because they'd rather draft the best Quebec talent rather than the best overall talent...

Change makes me nervous.

EDIT: Pierre Gauthier new GM

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The Leafs have called up Kadri from London.

On the one hand, I'm thrilled because it's one less star player for the team Kitchener is fighting for first in the division, on the other hand I'm thrilled because I'm pretty sure no team has ever been so pathetic that they've recalled somebody from junior mid-season.

Kadri will get to see how far off he realistically is from the NHL, it'll be great for him. Obviously it's on an emergency basis because Toronto traded away half their team, and the other half is injured or sick, but still, it'll be fun for Leafs fans to see him.

Personally I can't wait for next season and P.K. Subban to win his first of 11 consecutive Norris Trophies

Christ cakes! I just took a look at the first year Gainey was GM. Maybe not so great after all, obviously hindsight is always 20/20 but look at our D from 2003... Markov, Komisarek, Hainsey, Beauchemin, Souray, Rivet and Bouillon.... To be honest, salaries aside..... that's pretty dang good if they were in their prime haha.

Really? I was under the impression that you couldn't call up from junior mid-season.

You can call a player up from junior mid-season only on an emergency basis. If they didn't call him up, they wouldn't have been able to put 18 skaters on the ice tonight without going over the salary cap. If that's not the reason, then it's because they didn't have anyone left in the system that could be brought up and that could have made it to the game tonight. One of those two situations is the reason why Kadri is dressing.

The Kings did it earlier in the season with Brayden Schenn.

on the other hand I'm thrilled because I'm pretty sure no team has ever been so pathetic that they've recalled somebody from junior mid-season.

Oilers did it with Sebastien Bisallion in 06-07 and Calgary actually recalled Iginla from Kamloops during the playoffs in 95-96.

EDIT: LA recalled Brayden Schenn this season from Brandon as well. Steve Mason was recalled by Columbus when he played for Kitchener, but never saw the ice. I didn't think it was this common either, but there you go.

Considering all things, Toronto actually put up a good fight against San Jose. Kadri had some scoring chances, Kessel scored, and the team looked good. They were just a little overmatched by the Sharks.

As happy as I am that it's currently 5-2 after 2... and that through 40 Montreal has dominated the best team in the league. On the goal that was disallowed that could have made it 4-3, I feel that it was kinda a bullshit call. Ok maybe Gill was more just around the net, rather than in the play, but anyone who can explode Hall Gill so bad that he also takes out Carey Price.... well they might as well have given Ovechkin 2 min for being too strong.

Washington and New York are the only 2 teams in the league that I fear can come back from up to 5 goals with only 20 to play haha. Washington because they've got the best player in the world on their team, as well as an amazing roster of elite players.

New York because well... heh.... Montreal did it to them once.

EDIT

Called that comeback... please don't blow it in OT.

C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Huh with the Gorges injury and breaking the streak I've gotten to use Boom Headshot!, Back and to the Left and C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER in the same night...

The way I look at it is this... Ovechkin went into Gill full force, knowing full well that if he knocked him down, that he would knock him into the goalie. You are not allowed to do that. It is in the rulebook. You cannot interfere with a goalie directly, or by pushing someone else into him. That was the right call.

So Montreal plays really well against teams that have a run and gun sort of offence. They showed that in spanking Pittsburgh on Saturday and by scoring 6 against Washington last night. But against a team that grinds it out like Boston we lost 3-0...

Montreal sits precariously in 6th place. Having played 3 more games than 2 of the teams that are only 1 point back. Montreal plays one of these teams, Philly in a 2 game home and home before the Olympic break. Should they win both, Philly would still have 3 games in hand, but Montreal would have a 5 point cushion... It's pretty imperative that Montreal wins both.

Now... with the way this wildly inconsistent season has gone, I predict 6-1 Philly and 2-0 Philly.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Here's The Guardian's pre-Olympic description of hockey:

“Quite the most pointless sport ever to be televised as it is impossible to follow the puck unless certain action is shown in slow motion. Possibly worth watching for the frequent fights but you’ll have to take the score on trust. Not that you will care because Great Britain hasn’t entered a team in either the men’s or women’s competitions.”

For one, fighting isn't tolerated in international play.

But I thought "waa I can't see the puck!" was an American thing. :shifty:

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Yeah, they came in third in a qualifying group of themselves, Japan, Poland and Romania. But that doesn't matter to the paragon of journalism that is The Guardian.