The Hockey Thread

Clawson

So Ponikarovsky goes to the Pengiuns for Martin Skoula and Luca Caputi. Skoula is probably just an expiring contract although he will be a decent fill in for Komisarek right now. The only thing I know about Caputi is that he is 21 years old.

They probably could have received a 2nd rounder, and that is hit or miss. Burke probably sees something in Caputi now, and he is already playing in the AHL and has some NHL games under his belt.

Leafs desperately need someone who can park it in front of the net and scoop rebounds, so Caputi is a good fit in that regard. Skoula is a salary dump, Pittsburgh had to make room and the Leafs had some to spare. McKenzie thoerizes that Skoula gets flipped as part of a package tomorrow. Unless something is on the table for Finger or Exelby, I don't see him sticking around. Not sure what to think of the trade when LA was apparently offering their first plus a prospect for Ponikarovsky. Caputi is NHL-ready today and a draft pick isn't, I guess. If they get value out of Skoula it looks like it could be a good trade. If not, they just gambled big time by casting off a top scorer.

Hopefully Burke is busy tomorrow because his team was awful tonight. Hang some of it on rust, I guess, but the rest of the league hasn't been playing either.

4 - 1 last night. Great win, one shitty goal given up by Price. 3rd period explosion for the win, I'll take it.

Also, I still feel the 2nd for Moore has got to be part of something bigger... 3 hours Pierre... Balls in your court.

And I think Burke with the albatross trade of the year giving up 2 firsts and a second, alright so Kessel can score 35 on a good team with 2 of the best passers in the game, but talk about handcuffing your organization as far as growth is concerned, especially when the team is rebuilding.

You're still arguing Phil Kessel can't score without Savard?

Camalleri is the only Hab with more goals than him right now. Kessel should end up with 25-30 this year on a shit team and coming off a major shoulder surgery. The trade looks bad now but you can't judge it until we find out who the draft picks are, and if they turn out to have good NHL careers.

Good moves by the Leafs, I thought. Thought they could have got a couple higher picks here and there, but I thought that looking up and down the board anyway.

I loved bringing Yelle back, that's cool. Wolski for Mueller/Porter i'm not sure about. We pick up a few less years, and it gives us a bit more cap scope because Mueller is probably going to get less in a new contract (whenever his is up) than Wolski would. They're both not quite producing to their potential, so this one is a wait-and-see in my book.

Hey, Vancouver: Wrong Stastny.

Toskala/McElhinney: Honestly, who got the wrong end of this? I can't tell.....

My favourite moment from the whole day was hearing Brian Burke say that he wants to work on an extension with Kaberle. If we go into next season with him, our defence could be incredibly strong.

Kaberle, Phaneuf, Komisarek, Beauchemin, Schenn and Gunnarson would make a very, very good defence corp - especially if healthy. The Leafs just need to get ANYONE who can score to help out Kessel and to figure out the goaltending. I like Giguere and I am confident Gustavsson will develop into solid goaltender.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Kaberle, Phaneuf, Komisarek, Beauchemin, Schenn and Gunnarson would make a very, very good defence corp - especially if healthy. The Leafs just need to get ANYONE who can score to help out Kessel and to figure out the goaltending. I like Giguere and I am confident Gustavsson will develop into solid goaltender.

God it's last year all over again.

God it's last year all over again.

I know. Komisarek was good at times, and not so good too. I think if he can be healthy next season, it will be a HUGE boost for the team.