Burley Sacked From Scotland Post

Marcos

GEORGE Burley's Scotland reign is over - the bungling boss was binned after a late afternoon meeting with SFA chief executive Gordon Smith.

Smith had met with president George Peat and vice-presidents Campbell Ogilvie and Alan McRae before being sent to break the news to Burley.

But the manager would have known the end was close after the national team's latest shambolic performance.

The Scots went down 3-0 to a second-choice Welsh side in Cardiff on Saturday and the Tartan Army finally turned on Burley.

The SFA, who had the chance to get rid of the manager at the end of Scotland's ill-fated World Cup qualifying campaign in September, backed off and allowed him to continue.

However, after two friendlies - Japan beat Scotland 2-0 in Yokohama last month - the SFA had to act and now they are searching for a new boss.

They will turn their attention to former Scotland manager Walter Smith, who is likely to leave Rangers at the end of this season, and Dundee United's Craig Levein.

Yeah, his time as Scotland manager has been a bit of a shambles, and I wasn't one of those who wanted him in the first place (Souness was my pick), but I do feel a bit sorry for the guy. He has been let down by bigger named players who just didn't show up for the majority of the qualifiers.

Although I would like to see Levein get a shot, give someone young and fresh a chance.

Scotland played much better under Smith and McLeish. I was disappointed both times when they left, although when Burley was appointed I was disappointed because I knew he wasn't going to take us anywhere.

Seems the Scotland job isn't what Scottish managers aspire to - it's Rangers/Celtic or getting into the EPL. Shame Strachan just went to 'Boro or I'd have taken him. As it is, I'm not sure who Scotland will end up with. With Souness distancing himself from the post, I can't think of anyone who wouldbe a superb signing. BUT I do want it to be a Scot.

This is absolutely wonderful news.

Just hope some of the targets like Levein, McGhee, McAllister, Sounness etc get nowhere near the job. Would love a foreign manager in who has no bias to any team in Scotland.

Hopefully we also bin McManus, Caldwell, Fox and Miller.

This is absolutely wonderful news.

Just hope some of the targets like Levein, McGhee, McAllister, Sounness etc get nowhere near the job. Would love a foreign manager in who has no bias to any team in Scotland.

Hopefully we also bin McManus, Caldwell, Fox and Miller.

Do you not remember what happened last time we tried that method? :shifty:

Do you not remember what happened last time we tried that method? :shifty:

Of course I do, but Berti did get us to a playoff albeit we got absolutely pummelled in that. >_<

It would be nice though, but then again, I just don't want any of the people who are the favourites to get the job as I don't think they are good enough really, Levein as good as he is, gets by buy having a good eye for foreign talents.

Would like us to go for someone like Beenhakker but he might be too old, but someone in that mould would be excellent.