Country covers of other songs

Lowerdeck

Seems to me there's more and more of them lately. I heard Jon Bon Jovi remake his own Who Says You Can't Go Home but in a country tone, which I originally thought was a cover and turns out it wasn't. I know there's legit covers, like Tim McGraw covering Ryan Adams.

How often do these end up as good or better than the originals? Mind, many of these country singers pulling this off are also corporate puppets.

Seems to me there's more and more of them lately. I heard Jon Bon Jovi remake his own Who Says You Can't Go Home but in a country tone, which I originally thought was a cover and turns out it wasn't. I know there's legit covers, like Tim McGraw covering Ryan Adams.

How often do these end up as good or better than the originals? Mind, many of these country singers pulling this off are also corporate puppets.

Hands down Luke Bryan has a much better variation of "Apologize."

The country version of "Who Says You Can't Go Home" is the one they did with the lead singer of Sugarland, right?

The only country cover of a song I can think of offhand that I liked was Alabama's cover of "God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You"....which incidentally is the ONLY song by Alabama I like.

Louise Mandrell did a cover of Rod Stewart's "Some Guys Have All The Luck" (renamed "Some Girls Have All The Luck") and I remember I had dry heaves the first time I ever heard it. (And Louise is the only Mandrell sister I like, but that song was bleech)