Tarver vs. Jones Jr.

Guest PacaVeli777

Guest PacaVeli777

Antonio Tarver just destroyed Roy Jones Jr., and the fight only lasted 2 rounds, what a left hook. I said Tarver would win & nobody at school beleived me. After the 1st fight when Roy jones Jr. stole the victory I had a feeling Tarver would come back and get the seconds one & he did.

Roy Jones Jr. looked mediocre, while Taver looked very good tonight. Makes me wonder about that Roy jones Jr vs. Mike Tyson......

RJJ has been pre-occupied with TONS of his PR.

Gaining to fight a heavy, losing to fight tarver, Clothing Line, his own little boxing thing... he's just gotten out of focus, thinking he can do more than just box which he can and should before he gets too beat up.

Guest PacaVeli777

Tarver has just fought better in there 2 fights, the 1st fight made alot of people mad about how the winner came out, and in the 2nd fight i think Tarver just came out and wanted to prove he is the better boxer.....

Tarver has just fought better in there 2 fights, the 1st fight made alot of people mad about how the winner came out, and in the 2nd fight i think Tarver just came out and wanted to prove he is the better boxer.....

I'm taking nothing away from Tarver, he's nice...saw a few interviwes with him prior to Fight #1, and I like him. I think he was Jones' spiring partner when they were young, were they not? So it's not like he didn't know how he fought and so on.

Guest PacaVeli777

im not absolutely positive that they were sparing partners, buti think i remember hearing something about that.

Now all we have to wait on is Tarver/Jones Jr. 3...........

There's NO way will there be a Tarver/Jones III. Roy would just get his ass kicked AGAIN, and he would be all but washed up then (if he isn't already). Sadly, there's not really anyone I want to see Tarver fight at the moment.

Guest Hit Man 3120

A)Im shocked Jones lost. I thought he would retain for sure and he did win the first fight

B)There will be a Tarver/Jones III. The money for that fight will be nuts and maybe this will light a fire under Jones' ass. Also, sounds like a lucky punch to me maybe as what Ive read said that Jones was fighting better. I'll judge it when I see it on HBO next weekend

A)Im shocked Jones lost.  I thought he would retain for sure and he did win the first fight

B)There will be a Tarver/Jones III.  The money for that fight will be nuts and maybe this will light a fire under Jones' ass.  Also, sounds like a lucky punch to me maybe as what Ive read said that Jones was fighting better.  I'll judge it when I see it on HBO next weekend

Since I actually saw the fight, it was not a lucky punch, he decked Jones on a clean left hand counter. Jones already said he didn't want to fight Tarver again, and if he did, he would just get knocked out again, so I don't see him taking a big paycheck at the expense of his pride.

Since I actually saw the fight, it was not a lucky punch, he decked Jones on a clean left hand counter. Jones already said he didn't want to fight Tarver again, and if he did, he would just get knocked out again, so I don't see him taking a big paycheck at the expense of his pride.

Just so you know, all of the sites are making the punch seem lucky, especially the AP report I read on CBSSportsline. It doesn't blatently say it was lucky, but the way it is described more or less does, so Hit Man is not crazy.

He closed his eyes and threw, caught him clean.It was a lucky punch.But hey, doesn't mean he couldn't have beat him, anyway.I've never liked Roy Jones, personally, so I'm happy about it.

And Tyson?I've always had no doubt he'd knock out Jones within 5, at least.

Just so you know, all of the sites are making the punch seem lucky, especially the AP report I read on CBSSportsline.  It doesn't blatently say it was lucky, but the way it is described more or less does, so Hit Man is not crazy.

It said that the punch was shocking and out of nowhere, which is/was true. Jones hit Tarver with a shot, coiled back out of the way and was throwing a right hand when Tarver loaded up and nailed him flush with a left hook for the ages. It was not a blind shot like people would have you believe. Anyone who's seen a southpaw fight a natural righthander would have seen that punch coming. The fact he practically knocked Roy completely out of the ring lets you know it wasn't a fluke punch.

Here's a description from an article on ESPN/Maxboxing.com

But tonight, with a picture perfect left hook that rivaled those thrown by Sugar Ray Robinson against Gene Fullmer and Joe Frazier against Muhammad Ali, Tarver shed Roy Jones Jr. from his back once and for all, in the process not only regaining his light heavyweight championship, but putting the boxing world on notice that a new star is born.

And another. . .

Roy Jones Jr. was flat on his back in Antonio Tarver's corner. A second earlier in the second round of their WBC light heavyweight title fight, Tarver countered a missed right hand from Jones with a short overhand left that landed square on the four-division champion's jaw.

All I'm saying is that fans of Jones are trying to brush this off as a fluke which isn't fair since Tarver should have won the first fight on decision, and he destroyed him with one punch last night. I don't see Jones suddenly figuring Tarver out, and I think he would get KO'ed early if they fought a 3rd time. Roy doesn't have a good chin, and if Tarver could beat him that badly with a single shot he'd be better off hanging up the gloves then trying to get a fight with Klitschko or even Tyson before he retires.

Monday, May 17, 2004

ESPN.com news services

Antonio Tarver's stunning victory over Roy Jones Jr. on Saturday night could not have come at a better time for him.

Just eight days before winning the WBC light heavyweight title, Tarver went broke, filing for Chapter 11 protection in federal bankruptcy court in Tampa.

Tarver earned more than $2 million for the fight, the biggest payday of his career, plus a $100,000 bonus that promoter Don King paid him at a post-fight party. And the opportunities for him now will be limitless after his second-round TKO of Jones.

King, who promoted the rematch and has three heavyweight title holders -- Chris Byrd, John Ruiz and Lamon Brewster -- under contract, said, "Antonio is certainly a candidate for a heavyweight fight."

"I fought for peanuts for years," Tarver told The Washington Post. "I fought in all these small places, like the Blue Horizon [in Philadelphia], and I more than paid my dues."

King wouldn't rule out anyone as an opponent for Tarver, including the unretiring Felix Trinidad, who will return to boxing after a two-year hiatus to fight Ricardo Mayorga as a middleweight on Oct. 2.

"My time has come and I want to be a people's champion," Tarver told The Post. "I'm going to fight all the big fights that the people want to see.

"Get used to this face," he said, grinning. "You're going to see a lot of it."

With this being boxing......the question is, Was the fight fixed?

Edited by sahyder1

There's NO way will there be a Tarver/Jones III. Roy would just get his ass kicked AGAIN, and he would be all but washed up then (if he isn't already). Sadly, there's not really anyone I want to see Tarver fight at the moment

I'm sure if the money is right, Jones will fight him again.

I haven't seen the fight yet, so I will reserve any opinion on the punch until I do.