WarioWare D.I.Y. is the new Mario Paint

Sousa

So the new WarioWare game is basically a fucking beast.

The most ballyhooed feature is the game maker, which is limited to just tap inputs, but you can get a lot done on just that--the game comes with 100 microgames with a variety of controls that basically show the system flexing its muscles. Every microgame in the game was created with the same engine given to players, and you can load every game into the game maker to see how it ticks. You can even pull graphics out of the pre-made games and add them to yours if you don't want to spend your quality time assembling Samus from scratch.

To top it off, the music creator is immense. I mean a beast. There's lots of room to save your own tracks, there are a load of instruments, and you can make longer pieces.

It's basically Mario Paint on horse steroids minus that fly-swatting game.

Yeah, if you have a DS and a creative impulse, you basically need this game.

One of the microgames is actually a, ahem, microcosm of that very game. You couldn't make the full-featured game, though, since you're still making games within the 5-10 second time frame for a WarioWare game. That said, you can do a lot with it. I've just been fooling around with it, and I've managed to put together a virus-blasting shooter, a timing-based game involving connecting pipes to blow up the planet, and a game in which you steer a blimp to avoid clouds of chemicals en route to a goal. The real thrill of it is seeing the variety of possibilities. The 100 microgames are a pretty huge variety, and as I said, they were all made with the same builder offered to the player. So there's a lot you can do with it once you get the hang of working with the engine.

I guess I'll have to pick it up then - I read on the back of the box that you can download ones that other players make. That sounds pretty cool too, although I am sure with the way that Nintendo does their internet stuff that its nerfed in one way or another.