UConn women go for 89th straight win

sahyder1

Guest Mr. Potato Head

There are more top-quality teams on the men's side though, aren't there?

Not to say it's not a remarkable achievement, but I do think 89 on the women's side doesn't mean quite as much.

There are more top-quality teams on the men's side though, aren't there?

Not to say it's not a remarkable achievement, but I do think 89 on the women's side doesn't mean quite as much.

If it was a decade ago I'd agree with you because at the time it wasjust UConn and Tennessee winning. But teams like Baylor, Stanford, Rutgers to name a few have reached that next tier over past 5 years.

When UCLA won 88 straight they were in the middle of a run where they won 10 out of 12 championships. They were that much better then everyone else. UConn is same way.

Plus, 89 straight wins is impressive whether you're playing Tic Tac Toe or organized sports. They are just so many factors. One bad shooting day is all it takes to lose. Only twice during this run have they lost by less then 10

Speaking of impressive women's winning streaks, you gotta mention Esther Vergeer right? Can't find what the streak was/is but as of this year's US Open she won 396 matches in a row.

If you don't know what sport I'm talking bout btw, it's wheelchair tennis. :shifty:

Speaking of impressive women's winning streaks, you gotta mention Esther Vergeer right? Can't find what the streak was/is but as of this year's US Open she won 396 matches in a row.

If you don't know what sport I'm talking bout btw, it's wheelchair tennis. :shifty:

They did a nice story on her during the US Open this year. Just googled it and her streak crossed 400 recently.

While one hell of a streak and one hell of an accomplishment, no it isn't the same thing as doing it on the men's side.

While there are other schools that have climbed to an 'elite' status in the last decade or so, they disparity between UConn/Tenn/Baylor and maybe 3 or 4 other schools is that big.

While one hell of a streak and one hell of an accomplishment, no it isn't the same thing as doing it on the men's side.

While there are other schools that have climbed to an 'elite' status in the last decade or so, they disparity between UConn/Tenn/Baylor and maybe 3 or 4 other schools is that big.

No one was close to touching UCLA either in the late 60s and early 70s

Edited by sahyder1

Well they did it. Gino Aurriema is one of the greatest head coaches in college basketball men or women. You cant compare this to the men's streak but it sure is close. This record I feel will not be touched. At least not in my lifetime. Too much parody on the men's side and the women's game is getting there in the sense of parody. It was a great thing to watch though. I applaud Aurriema and the UCONN Huskies they deserved it.

Well they did it. Gino Aurriema is one of the greatest head coaches in college basketball men or women. You cant compare this to the men's streak but it sure is close. This record I feel will not be touched. At least not in my lifetime. Too much parody on the men's side and the women's game is getting there in the sense of parody. It was a great thing to watch though. I applaud Aurriema and the UCONN Huskies they deserved it.

parity*

Edit: What did you guys think of the Wii giveaway at the end? I thought it was no big deal. Nothing wrong with acknowledging the students who were there despite school being off right now. I'm seeing a lot of hatred for it on twitter and Facebook. .

Edited by sahyder1

Hey guys, I have a penis! Would you like to see me talk about how awesome other people with penises are? Because penises are excellent.

Why don't you big burly men start soaping each other's backs while you're here? We can even get Kats and DoubleX to take pictures if you want.

• Like 1

I've been a Huskies fan since the undefeated '94-'95 team and the only thing that shocks me more than the 89 game winning streak, and the 70 game one before it, is that UConn is 7-0 in the finals. I think the only negative thing you can say about women's college hoops now is that there is still no depth outside of the 2 major powerhouses. In the last 16 years (starting with UConn's first championship) UConn has won 7 titles, Tennessee has 5 and the REST of DI hoops has 4 combined with four schools winning one each. Until the other teams can compete with UConn and Tennessee for more than a year or two, it wouldn't shock me to see another team break this record in the next 10 years. For example, if Britney Griner had chosen to go to UConn instead of Baylor she would never have lost a game in college.