2011 Cycling Thread

Fantastic stage. Watch the highlights. I won't spoil it.

I don't really know much about cycling but I found some 2010 TdF highlights, and Mark Renshaw just seems to be an absolute beast. What was your view on the whole disqualification thing? It confused me quite a bit who was in the right/wrong.

Borderline. Headbutting is actually the safest way to deal with barging around in a final sprint as riders aren't supposed to take their hands off the handlebars in the last 500m or so due to the dangers of losing control of the bike. The bigger problem was swerving into the way of another rider - once a leadout man as done his job then he needs to either hold position or just drop backwards NOT swerve. However he shouldn't have been disqualified - maybe fined if they're gonna be strict but the disqualification was far too harsh.

90km into todays stage and the riders will face d'Aubisque.. or.. Da Beast ¬_¬

Geriant Thomas didn't really end up with much to show for his efforts yesterday (barring the combatitive jersey) and will need to regroup himself today.

They were reckoning on Eurosport yesterday that a breakway group may do well today, but they always say that and it never seems to happen. Sooner or later though, a breakaway group will surely take a stage?

Anyways, no hill finish like yesterday so a chance for a good descender to make some time back up on anyone who does well on d'Aubisque.

It's hard to make up too much ground on such a long run-in so it's unlikely the GC contenders will want to attack too heavily because they'll probably end up in a group of about 40-60 at the finish anyway. Samuel Sanchez is the best descender of the favourites - that guy's AMAZING at going downhill.

An attack group would work best - in fact Chavanel is trying to get away today and he's probably the ideal man to win such a stage if he's recovered from his crashes last week.

Sadly Andreas Kloden has just had to abandon. Very sad, really like the guy but he's had nothing but bad luck on the Tour. In fact the only time he's been a team leader and NOT ended up abandoning then he finished in the top 3.

Amazing performance by Hushovd today, difinetely didn't see that coming.

Thor was impressive... major props to him... and CSAMH, is it me or does Frank look stronger than Andy Schleck?

Andy looks comfortable but not as edgy as Frank is looking. Today will tell us more but I think that Leopard-Trek will support whichever of the brothers feels best. I know they want overall victory and the other rider on the podium but I think in the Alps we'll see one of them sacrificing themselves for the other. Right now Frank looks better 9especially as Andy is naturally the better rider) but maybe Andy was just a bit sluggish getting started.

Andy looks comfortable but not as edgy as Frank is looking. Today will tell us more but I think that Leopard-Trek will support whichever of the brothers feels best. I know they want overall victory and the other rider on the podium but I think in the Alps we'll see one of them sacrificing themselves for the other. Right now Frank looks better 9especially as Andy is naturally the better rider) but maybe Andy was just a bit sluggish getting started.

Makes for a potentially great stage tonight, doesn't it?

http://www.sbs.com.au/tdf2011/stages-map/index/currstage/1519

Edited by Michael Firrito

Great early break today - 20 riders in it including Jens Voigt, David Millar, Linus Gerdemann, Luis Leon Sanchez, Sandy Casar, Anthony Charteau, Sylvain Chavanel and Christophe Riblon.

That is the strength of a break that could stay away depending on what the GC contenders decide to do.

Also, if they are caught it could be similar to last year (or year before, I forget) where Voigt went up the road in an early attack so that he could work for Andy Schleck later in the stage when he got caught.

Millar, Casar and El Fares have gone off the front of the group and look to be the day's "proper" break. Seven minute lead over the peloton with 88km to go. I shall dream that they stay away and that Millar will win.

Unlikely but I don't care. I'm a cycling romanticist.

Voeclker continues to push on rather impressively. I'm waiting to see if Contador will actually ever do anything, either his knee has him completely grounded or he's faking it and will probably attack on one of the later mountain stages. Also I thought they would have lost Ivan Basso by now but he's hanging on quite well.

Sanchez has attacked off the front. Gotta love him.

There's no way Voeckler is suddenly this good in the mountains, even with the power of the yellow jersey.

Even that fabled last time 7 years ago when he held the jersey for 11 days he got it with a big lead and then lost a couple of minutes each day in the mountains.