2011 Cycling Thread

I don't trust anyone who has parts of their body attached to their face. And it should be Andy Schleck! He'd not have lost so much time yesterday if he attacked at the end of last week on the mountains, he could have left them for dead at one stage but instead he managed to put two seconds into them. He might be in a better position to win the yellow jersey if he didn't spend the whole race looking backwards for his brother, who, incidentally, is in a better position to win the yellow jersey. Grr.

EBH gets his win after losing out yesterday...Fantastic performance to get into the break two days in a row!

My highlights of the day were Hivert and then Voeckler both ending up in the random little car park after overcooking the corner. Should be entertainingly pointed out by Sir Gary Imlach on the ITV4 highlights tonight.

Cav'll get over those in the grupetto at the back. Always does. A sprinter has to be having a REALLY bad day to fall out of the back group.

It seems that Sanchez and Contador have forged a Spanish alliance (there's reports of it on the cycling websites) which makes sense to combat the Schlecks.

This leaves Evans in a weak spot and it seems like Basso may have run out of power. Basso is best suited to high but steady tempos like Cunego. You see the two of them dropping back when the others attack but catching up again when the attacks stop for a moment - they're riding their own speed.

I'm so excited about today's stage. I reckon there'll only be maybe four riders left with a chance of winning the Tour after today.

The draggy climb up the Galibier suits Basso so if it's a race of attrition then he could be there right at the end.

Hills! Representing Andy's best chance to regain some time and put himself in the yellow jersey contention. That or he can work for Frank and try and get him in it, just one of them dammit.

But if they'd rather just mark their men and cry about going downhill they can fuck off and Evans can win the yellow jersey for all I care. They need to do something today. One must sacrifice himself for the other, Frank is in better position but Andy is stronger imo. But they need to put in some time today and tomorrow, they can't both win, one has to work for the other and they will stand a chance.

Their biggest weakness is being teammates. The Schlecks have annoyed me this tour and I've turned on them so it's Evans, Sanchez , Basso and a top6 for Cunego for me. Andy has to move without worrying if Frank can follow...but he won't so he deserves to lose.

Exactly, and they will only win if one works for the other now, but I doubt it that they will. I don't really care for Contador or Evans so I guess it's Basso or Cuenego for me too. Sanchez is good when he attacks too.

Oh and a good finish for Taraamae too :)

*wonders if there's any carparks on this decent*

Seriously though... Nice to see Hoogerland pick up some points in the King of the Mountains... However, it's Contador's playground today, and I have grave fears that neither Schleck is going to be able to hang with him, if he's fully fit, had some steak last night, and in the mood.

Uran looks far too old and chunky to be in the youngest rider competition.

Nice to see Nicolas Roche out front again today. I was hoping for a top ten for him this year (like he was) but he struggled in the Pyranees so good to see him giving it a go in the Alps.

That's a beauty of a move and very smart getting the two teammates in the earlier attack. Posthuma didn't help much but Monfort should be able to take him a couple of km up the final climb.

Now, Frank won't chase and no-one below 5th in the standings will chase him which means it's down to Contador (plus teammate Navarro), Evans and Voeckler (plus Rolland) to do all the work. Sanchez may do some to help Contador out too but surely not at the cost of a top 5 for himself.

Attaaaaaaaaaack!

Andy going for it.... the Schleckster making his attack stick, and, my TDF broadcaster cuts to a commercial, classy... Anyways, Andy still need a shitload of time to kill Contador and Evans, because both can time-trial better..

Attaaaaaaaaaack!

Andy going for it.... the Schleckster making his attack stick, and, my TDF broadcaster cuts to a commercial, classy... Anyways, Andy still need a shitload of time to kill Contador and Evans, because both can time-trial better..

...and cut to Missy Fucking Higgins (assuming from the username you are with SBS as well).

Attaaaaaaaaaack!

...and cut to Missy Fucking Higgins (assuming from the username you are with SBS as well).

I happen to like that song... and yes, I'm an SBS'er

The Japanese sports channel show every single stage in full and then break it down afterwards and preview the next stage. Sadly it's in Japanese so I follow the cyclingnews feed on the computer at the same time.

We also get every single important race of the season and a few not-so-important ones. Great place to live for cycling.