Pacquiao/Mosley signed for Showtime

caucasianheat

Michael Koncz, the adviser for WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao, has confirmed our earlier report that Pacquiao's upcoming pay-per-view fight against Shane Mosley, which takes on May 7 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas - is heading to Showtime/CBS.

Koncz, speaking with BoxingScene/FanHouse's Lem Satterfield, acknowledged our initial information , which detailed the big advantage presented by Showtime's ability to televise a multi-part series that is equivalent to HBO's 24/7 - on CBS.

CBS has the ability to reach 115 million homes compared to HBO's 28 million homes.

"We've worked with HBO for many, many fights, and it's always great working with them. But, you know, sometimes change is good for everybody involved. So we're making that change and we're going on Showtime this time," said Koncz.

"It's a big benefit for us, economically, and he's going to be getting wider viewership. It's a different platform for us, and I think that it's important to have a different platform. It's going to take it out of the regular pay-per-view audience because we have a lot of options with the network."

- boxingscene.com

Passive interest in the fight itself, but I'm more intrigued by how HBO responds (they'e counterprogrammed big Showtime fights in the past, though I don't know what they'd have to knock this off) and what kind of interest a CBS promotional vehicle will generate for the fight. Apparently Top Rank walked after HBO passed on Miguel Cotto's March 12th fight with Ricardo Mayorga.

With boxing as a dying sport and Pacquiao as one of only four or so big enough name fighters to draw big PPV numbers, I don't know how much I like the idea of them giving the fight away on free TV unless they find a way to build up some other fighters. This isn't the UFC, boxing matches last longer then 15 minutes so it isn't as if they can showcase a lot of new talent with a big undercard. I just hope they find a way to benefit boxing since they are sacrificing a massive payday.

With boxing as a dying sport and Pacquiao as one of only four or so big enough name fighters to draw big PPV numbers, I don't know how much I like the idea of them giving the fight away on free TV unless they find a way to build up some other fighters. This isn't the UFC, boxing matches last longer then 15 minutes so it isn't as if they can showcase a lot of new talent with a big undercard. I just hope they find a way to benefit boxing since they are sacrificing a massive payday.

It's a dying sport because you never get to see the great fights unless you have the premium cable channels and/or access to PPV. It is a lot to ask people to pay PPV prices to watch every fight of consequence throughout the year. The Friday Night Fights on ESPN are OK, but the model that boxing is following is terrible. There are too many champions, not enough real challengers (it's even worse when you have situations where people like the Klitschkos won't face each other) and every match is priced like a superfight even when it isn't. I know the argument is that if you invite people over to watch the fights it cuts the price down, but when you can watch all of the major team sports on basic cable and regular TV it's no wonder that boxing isn't what it used to be.

Edited by naiwf

I thought it was really strange they were going to put the fight on CBS. As for boxing in general, I agree they need to find a way to get some stuff on TV. While they obviously can't have a massive undercard, boxing would benefit I would think from having a big main event and a big secondary match that could feature two boxers that have somehow managed to compete on TV to get the public's interest. I like boxing a lot, but I'm not going to go to the trouble of getting a group of friends to come over to chip in and watch just one boxing match but I'd be a lot more likely if there were two semi big fights.

Boxing is fucked. They have totally screwed up the model and I don't think you could repair it now. Because it's sold on the main event with zero recognition of the undercard the main event fighters pocket the money. There are a gazillion belts and promoters so it's rare to have superfights until one or both fighters are past their prime and the pay off is worth more than their legacy (which isn't diminished as everyone knows they are getting older).

There is no real build, there is no proper ranking system, rarely do you know that if A beats B they get the next shot. Basically it's like the lunatics are running the asylum. I wouldn't agree to have a stacked undercard when I take the majority of the PPV money as I'm the name selling it. But at the same time it's that line of thinking which is leading to diminishing returns and turning people away from the sport.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

24/7 on CBS could be huge for this fight, but it really might be a bit of a last hurrah. Kids are growing up and getting into MMA instead, while like others in here have said, there are too many titles and champions for that to mean anything anymore. Boxing will only survive as long as its last few captivating personalities.