Eurovision 2011

Herr Matzat

Eurovision is pointless for us (UK), all the judges just vote for there neighbours. I wouldn't even bother entering us into this stupid contest, we could have one of the greatest bands to come out of UK to play for us and we still wouldn't win. bah

Eurovision is pointless for us (UK), all the judges just vote for there neighbours. I wouldn't even bother entering us into this stupid contest, we could have one of the greatest bands to come out of UK to play for us and we still wouldn't win. bah

If you watch Eurovision with the expressed hope of the UK winning, you're doing it wrong.

• Like 2

See, the crazy thing is I think that Ireland may have suggested sending Jedward without quite thinking that might suddenly find a modicum of talent and get a good song together. I mean, the audience were loving them last night. Unfortunately, they got drawn in the first half of the running order and the last person to win from the first half was Ruslana all the way back in 2004. Of course, the "you can vote from the beginning" thing might change that, but I'd doubt it that much.

The running order, for those interested, is:

1. Finland - Paradise Oskar - Da Da Dam

5. Hungary - Kati Wolf - What About My Dreams

6. Ireland - Jedward - Lipstick

7. Sweden - Eric Saade - Popular

8. Estonia - Getter Jaani - Rockefeller Street

9. Greece - Loukas Giorkas - Watch My Dance

15. Moldova - Zdob si Zdub - So Lucky

16. Germany - Lena - Taken By A Stranger

17. Romania - Hotel FM - Change

20. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBJYJ_cbvmc

21. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_RmMnhiUEM

22. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYzomDkiORw

23. Ukraine - Mika Newton - Angel

24. Serbia - Mika - Caroban

25. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaoeTNNFHk

Also, yeah, if the judges only voted for their neighbours then it's pretty damn difficult to explain why Norway and Germany won the past two years since the juries came back. In some cases - Greece/Cyprus/Turkey, Ireland/UK, Andorra/France/Spain - the juries will probably vote the same way as the televoting but that's probably based on similarity in terms of musical style and taste. The Eastern European juries tend to lean towards good songs as well as a random selection from their neighbours, which sort of splits up the voting there.

I mean, if you look at last year's top five, two of the five are Eastern European, but Playing with Fire was a damn good song and Drip Drop was widely tipped to win it, simply because she'd promoted it everywhere and she was hot...plus, it did have something to it. Same with 2009, Azerbaijan got third and Always was probably a better song on the night than Rybak (who, in hindsight, probably didn't "deserve" to win, since Iceland was a much better song). A lot of the time people just immediately jump to conclusions about the Eastern Europeans if they do well, but a lot of them are damn good songs. Admittedly, there have been some god awful ones - Latvia and Estonia, plus Russia - but Wild Dances is still an amazing song and Molitva is probably one of the better Eurovision winners when you look back at it (people just seemed to get too hyped up about the Ukrainian drag entry).

I have no idea who's going to win on Saturday, really. I refuse to believe all the hype that says Blue are going to win it, but we saw last year that a "Big Five" country can win now and we saw in 2009 that people are willing to vote for us...and Blue are probably more suited to the competition this year than Jade Ewen was in 2009. I've turned a corner in the past couple of days and grown to like "Sognu", so I'd be happy with that winning (plus, guy is hot, which I didn't notice also >_>). Jedward winning would be hilarious, but they're too low down the order, which is the same for Hungary & Sweden also I think. Hopefully that crappy Finnish song won't get a load of early votes. If anyone is looking like an outside bet, I'd say Azerbaijan (who pretty much deserve the win just for having been so close year after year) or maybe even the Serbian girl, which is a damn catchy tune.

I'm not saying they only give points to there neighbours but it's hard to deny that it's something that happens, even if it's just the lower points, We bearly even get any of the lower point votes, I just think the UK should stop doing this because no matter who we have we will end up in the bottom few acts it's just a waste of time for the group that is representing the UK and a little embarrassing.

*sigh*

Eurovision Song Contest 2009, Jade Ewen represents Britain and comes 5th. We actually came 3rd thanks to the juries and 10th in the televoting. But to prove a point: Lithuania gave us 3 points, Croatia gave us 4 points, Armenia gave us 7, Russia gave us 6, Bosnia gave us 4, Moldova gave us 1, Albania gave us 2, Czech Republic gave us 6, Belarus gave us 3, Bulgaria gave us 7, Macedonia gave us 6, Latvia gave us 2, Poland gave us 7, Slovakia gave us 7, Slovenia gave us 3 and Hungary gave us 1. All of them Eastern European and all of those are in the lower points (the ones not read out). We did shit in 2010 because it was possibly the worst song we've sent in the past ten years. I'm including Jemini in that, too.

Keep in mind that some of the Neighburhood love in the televoting might just be caused by music trends in the area. Your a fool to think everything that is in in the UK and central europ also works 2000km further away. This distance and broadness actualy is one of the things that makes eurovision more interesting than your average central european casting show finale. It´s a lot easyer to just shove down something our throads if you are having a much more narrow audiance to stupify. With eurovison and televoting it´s some nice mix of what europa likes best in the end.

Don´t belive me?

These are the no angels, a spice girls rip of of a german casting show. They got voted onto Eurovision pritty much only because they had that german casting show fanbase and in the end got... i don´t know, 2 points or something like that.

Obviusly Lena was of a castingshow aswell, but that was a show based about musical qualety and not on yellowpress and sob storys.

I wonder if Lena brings these terrible silver dancers, that looks like an efford to loose votes.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

It's Eurovision day :w00t:

Something that's struck me is that there are barely any songs that I wouldn't be happy with if they won. Admittedly, that might be more down to low expectations for any of my favourites winning, but, yeah...I think the caliber of songs this year is one of the best there's been in a long, long time. It's almost like countries are trying more now they know they have a real shot thanks to the juries etc.

I think my favourite is probably Lena, though. The more I've heard that song, the more I love it...the only problem is, it took a while for me to like it and most of Europe will be hearing it for the first time. Outside of that, French opera dude or Eric Saade (:wub:), but then there's Hungary, Jedward, Estonia, Switzerland, the UK, Azerbaijan and Serbia I'd be very happy with winning. I don't like having absolutely no idea who's going to win it <_<

• Like 2