The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Guest mr. potato head

I am about to get a hat-trick for vetoed trades....

Someone is trading me Perry, Chara, Bertuzzi for Del Zotto, Kunitz, Callahan, and Williams. He wanted to rebuild....so this is what he accepted.

One of the other managers (one I've had issues with publicly) has posted his out-rage.

Edit: And the commish joined the conversation....not looking good for me. Fuck. Either let me rip off the stupid people, or don't let them in the league.

Edit 2: Yeah, basically a done deal. Talking about kicking the other guy out of the league for basically being a retard. Anyone want his last place team with decent players? You will have to trade me Perry and Chara, though.

Bourque's been having a bad year, and displaying frustration with his inability to perform. He's been suspended twice now this season, and just hasn't been happy.

Mike Cammalleri played his best hockey in Calgary. He's young enough to be part of the future, but he's been around long enough to be a good veteran presence. Having him around opens up room for more young guys to become regulars, and more veterans to be moved out.

We're also losing Patrick Holland, but in terms of our prospects, I'd hardly consider him top of the class.

We get Karri Ramo in the deal, which gives us a former NHL goalie ready to step in if we need him next year. He's been chosen to the KHL All-Star Game two years in a row.

This addresses Calgary's needs and concerns, and opens up the line for more deals to go down as we solidify the team we go forward with.

Montreal gets rid of Cammy, and tries to ignore that things aren't going well. Bourque is also cheaper than Cammalleri, so it gives them some more cap space.

The fact that you pull a guy out of a hockey game and send him back to the hotel, and only then tell him he's been traded, is a classy move, but I guess you should expect that from the team that fired their coach during the morning skate.

Dreger and McKenzie have both tried to pour water on that rumour in the last day or so. Toronto likes JVR, Philly likes Schenn but no talks involving those two players going each way have apparently happened.

Flyers also reportedly have an eye on Ryan Suter and Tim Gleason, both of whom are better than Schenn in terms of defensive stability and consistency.

Yeah, I'm not certain that Van Riemsdyk is the player that would make either of those deals happen necessarily. Dreger wrote in his mailbag thing today that both Suter and Gleason are coveted to fill the gap left by Pronger's injury without indicating what their respective teams might want. You're right in that (UFA or not) trading Suter leaves a pretty giant hole in Nashville's lineup if they're even willing to move him.

Talk is going around that Luke Schenn will be traded to Philly for JVR.

We don't really need a winger...plus, if we're trading Schenn, I want it to be a package for someone big (Getzlaf).

Please don't let him go Burke :crying:

I think that might benefit both teams. Obviously Schenn's value has dropped a bit, or perhaps Toronto fans just overvalued him. I actually heard JVR for Schenn and a 2nd, which IMO adding that 2nd is a no-go. I'm not sure if I would even do Schenn for JVR straight up, but I don't think it's as far off as some leaf fans are making it out to be.

The Leafs need to put up points in their next five if they are serious about making a run at the playoffs. Each game is against an opponent that the Leafs should be able to beat, including the Islanders and a struggling Montreal. Hopefully, they go 4 of 5.

Out of all the trade rumours, I think the one that would help the Leafs the most would be to add a solid veteran defenceman to eat up minutes and play on the penalty kill. Outside of Phaneuf and Gunnarson, we have no one who can relied upon to play big minutes and just shut down the opponents. Schenn is still to raw and makes mistakes, Komisarek is too slow, and Gardiner and Franson are more offensive. Tim Gleason on Carolina comes to mind.