The Thread Where We've All Got Playoff Beards

Ruki

Well obviously museli is better for you than poutine. Get real.

I am not done with Reimer. He looked good before Gionta hit him in the head, and then he hasn't really recovered. I am hoping a full off-season to recover mixed in with an improvement on defence will help Reimer.

If there is an amnesty clause with the next CBA like in the NBA, who would your favourite team use it on? I think Toronto would want to dump the contract of Mike Komisarek. Would Vancouver waive Loungo if he doesn't do well in the post season and ride Schneider?

There is no way I would move a top five pick to get Schneider. He is good, but it is still a small sample size there. He also benefits from playing for a very good hockey team. He would be a big upgrade for the Leafs or Columbus, but not at that price.

I would go after a veteran who can split time with Reimer and mentor him at the same time, not another young goalie. I agree with you on Reimer not being done, and goalies, especially young ones, are weird and unpredictable. Look at Brian Elliot last year compared to this year. Reimer could be finished, he could bounce back to his pre-concussion form or better, or he could need a change of scenery. But I'd like to give him another chance rather than blowing our load on someone else who ends up being another Raycroft or Toskala. If Reimer ends up like them it's not like we lost anything for him.

I am not done with Reimer. He looked good before Gionta hit him in the head, and then he hasn't really recovered. I am hoping a full off-season to recover mixed in with an improvement on defence will help Reimer.

If there is an amnesty clause with the next CBA like in the NBA, who would your favourite team use it on? I think Toronto would want to dump the contract of Mike Komisarek. Would Vancouver waive Loungo if he doesn't do well in the post season and ride Schneider?

I'm with you there, I am not giving up on Reimer just yet, and I hope this newest concussion/whiplash/whatever doesn't hinder him too much. In fact, I'd be in favor of shutting him down for the year. We only have a few games left, let him rest.

And for the amnesty clause? I would say Komisarek or Armstrong. Both are overpaid, and both are taking up spots of young guys. Komisarek can be replaced by Holzer or Blacker, and Armstrong by this guy (unlikely, but I can dream).

Guest mr. potato head

Not Armstrong. The Leafs have no forward depth at all, even overpaid Colby Armstrong is necessary at this point. Komisarek is much more expendable.

Good: Kessel sets a career high 37 goals! AND Ben Scrivins is having a pretty solid game.

Bad: Leafs are winning, Montreal is tied (win you fucks), and the Wild are currently losing.

Not a good night for the tank. I don't see us picking top 5 anymore :( I want one of the big 3 or 4 forwards! :(

Edit: setting my roster for next week...I am nervous. I wanna win the league.

Guest mr. potato head

Unreal. It's like a Daily Show correspondent report on sports, except the reporter isn't in on the joke either.

I dunno. Fergie Olver used to do this sort of thing (at least the rants, maybe not the uncomfortable interviews) often enough, and there was overlap between his time at CFTO and Brown's...I mean, yeah, more likely it's just a really bad way to vent frustration, but you never know.

And just to prove that I'm not completely talking out my ass, here's Howard Berger:

Colorful commentary was often provided by Fergie Olver on CFTO’s late-night package. Olver was an insufferable fan of the Leafs [as he later became with the Blue Jays] and his sportscast frequently morphed into an impromptu rant that all but cursed Ballard and Imlach.
Edited by mr. potato head

Unreal. It's like a Daily Show correspondent report on sports, except the reporter isn't in on the joke either.

Wow..yea that really comes off as more of a report by The Onion or something then a legit sports broadcast..

Wow, that just seemed so.. odd to be hearing from a reporter. It's like he's incapable of realizing he's being a dick.

Reading an Ulmer blog on the Leafs' site (Here if anyone's interested) I came across this gem that litterly made me laugh out loud.

In 2000, the Islanders were gifted with the number one pick after finishing 25th. They rejected prolific goal scorers Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik (second and third respectively) in favour of goalie Rick DiPietro.

They must kick themselves everytime they think about that.

Islanders could've also had McCabe, Tim Connolly - when he was worth it, Jokinen, Chara, LUONGO, Spezza - apparently Islanders wanted Yashin real bad...then people they let go in the draft like Parise,

Guest mr. potato head

Islanders could've also had McCabe, Tim Connolly - when he was worth it, Jokinen, Chara, LUONGO, Spezza - apparently Islanders wanted Yashin real bad...then people they let go in the draft like Parise,

16 teams let Parise go, not just the Islanders. The draft isn't an exact science. There are lots of 18-year-old players who haven't blossomed into what they will be, or have stunted their growth early. It's not like Dipietro was a pick people were panning at the time.

Edited by mr. potato head

Kessel with his first 80+ point season! :wub:

Leaf fans are stupid. Thinking Luongo is a cap dump :/

Edit: Crapnuts. The fantasy league I am in where you can steal players if you win the league? I lost Malkin and got Kesler in return :( Bah. In other fantasy league news...in the finals, I am up 9-1 with 3 goals to 5, 6 assists to 1, 9 points to 6, +7 to +3, 9PIM (thanks Malone <3) to 0, tied in SHP/GWG with 0, and I am winning all the goalie stats (he hasn't had one go this week, and Quick managed a shut out, so I pulled my goalie for the rest of the week...gonna finish with 1 win, 1 SO, 0GAA and 1.000 SV%