A Johnny Goodman Production

Mr. X

• 3 weeks later...

[Results]MLW "Wrestlefest 2005", 1/21/05

War Memorial Auditorium

1615 Fans

1. Generation Next d. Asian Assassins (11:47) when Strong used a Powerbomb Backbreaker on Yang

2. Heartbreak Challenge #2: Michael Shane d. Adam Windsor (11:21) with a Sweet Shane Music

3. The New Church d. The Untouchables/Terry Funk (14:08) when O'Haire pinned Funk

4. Jr. Hv. Showcase Elmination Austin Aries d. Ikuto Hidaka/Josh Daniels/ Jerrelle Clark (21:51). Clark used a reverse hurricanrana on Daniels (8:53). Clark used a 630 Somersault on Hidaka (14:29). Aries used a boston crab on Clark (21:51).

5. #1 Contendership: Simon Diamond d. Scoot Andrews (12:03) with the Simonizer

6. Taiyo Kea d. Satoshi Kojima (14:12) by referee stop

7. MLW Heavyweight Title - CM Punk d. Chris Hero (23:33) with a Devil Lock DDT (1st defense)

Notes

- The show kicked off with lights flashing and "Duality" by Slipknot playing through the sound system. The fans were on their feet awaiting the start of MLW's 2005 season and unbeknownst to fans, they would possibly be involved in one of the more memorable moments in MLW. Terry Funk, wearing black tights and his yellow/black Funk shirt with a cut down the neck, emerged from the back to a standing ovation from the crowd. The still active legend walked around the ring slapping every fans hand that he possibly could and showed his respect to the people that keep him going when normal people are already retired and relaxing. Funk rolled into the ring and grabbed the mic.

Terry Funk: l. One year ago I stepped back into MLW facing off against Steve Corino, one of the best wrestlers in the world and a past champion of many federations. Our last MLW match happened to be a no ropes barbed wire match, a match that took so much out of me that I nearly retired for good. After months of cutting down on my appearances I got a phone call saying that MLW would restart under new management and a new era. So, me being the crazy old bastard that I am, agreed to return to the ring but never set a date. Now, I'm not exactly up to date with most wrestling, but last week I happened to get a copy of Major League Comeback, which by the way had some very good matches and I recommend the tape to anyone who has yet to see the true comeback of MLW, and saw something that disgusted me, The New Church. A group that wants to make its name by beating up guys trying to make a name for themselves. Now, back in my days sure we weren't exactly nice to the new boys, but it never went to the extent that we used weapons to inflict any sort of damage to them, and it never went to the point to where a guy nearly quit the industry because he realized his life was being sacrificed all in the name of someone else who wanted to make a name for themselves. I've seen enough of these jackasses running around causing anarchy and tonight I'm electing myself as the partner for The Untouchables in tonight's 6-man tag match. Terry Funk may be deeply associated with Hardcore wrestling but I'm a pure wrestler at heart. My point is that even though I know how to use barbed wire, chairs, tables, and various other weapons I'm just as dangerous when going to the mat as I cutting people. New Church, you better be prepared for your baptism as the blood and sweat will be rolling off your bodies. (83)

- Strong and Evans came out representing Gen Nex. The crowd stood up anticipating this mysterious team known only as Asian Assassins, and to much of the surprise the two men would be Keiji Sakoda and Jimmy Yang, formerly known as Sakoda and Akio of WWE's Kyo Dai. The two got into the ring and the match started off with Yang and Evans. The two countered each others dropkicks and Evans stepped it up a notch with an armdrag fake into a hurricanrana. Yang immediately kicked up and hit a heel kick to send Evans back to the mat. Evans then tagged in Strong while Yang kept his feet moving and his arms above his head in a striking mode. Strong and Yang tied up which saw Strong thrust Yangs back into Strong's knees followed by a camel clutch with Yang's armed wrapped around his neck. Sakoda broke the hold and exchanged punches with Strong before Ref Nick Dumeyer stepped in and broke the two up and pushed Sakoda back into AAs corner. Strong picked Yang up and went for an Irish Whip but Yang reversed the move and whipped Strong into AAs corner. Yang hit a flying forearm and tagged in Sakoda who immediately chopped Strong's chest beet red and followed the attack up with a running powerslam for a 2-count. Strong fought Sakoda off and tagged in Evans who hit a springboard dropkick that caused Sakoda to inadvertently tag in Yang, while also making him go between the ropes to the outside. Evans took advantage of the 2 on 1 scenario by hitting a standing twisting moonsault and tagging in Strong who hit a backbreaker and, while holding Yang across his knee, Evans flew off the top turnbuckle with a senton legdrop. Strong picked Yang back up and hit a powerbomb backbreaker while Evans leaped over the top rope for a suicide dive on Sakoda, but failed and was crushed with a powerbomb on the outside. Strong still however picked up the 3-count. (54,29,80)

- The second match of the Heartbreak Challenge Series ended up being just as good as the first. Michael Shane used every shortcut he could possibly use as a means to tie up the series while Adam Windsor took a careful route and stuck to simple strikes and moves that effected Shane's back. Windsor showed his technical skills by focusing on Shane's back with camel clutches, dragon sleepers, and boston crabs. Shane however showed his resilience by fighting towards the ropes every time Windsor applied a submission hold and never stayed down on the mat long enough for Windsor to keep a constant advantage. About halfway into the match Shane was able to get offense in when he hit a hurricanrana after Windsor went to the top for a splash. Shane then mocked Windsor by boot scrapping Windsor while the poor kid laid on the mat motionless. Shane went up top for a Picture Perfect Elbow Drop but Windsor was able to spring up and connect with a flying forearm that knocked Shane to the outside. Windsor then hit an Asai Moonsault on the grounded Shane and began stomping him until the ref broke the two up and demanded Windsor to get back in the ring. Shane slowly got on the apron and Windsor saw the opportunity for some form of an attack but Shane was able to hit a shoulder thrust and while Windsor grabbed at his abdomen Shane used a sunset flip to get in a 2-count. Windsor fought back and almost gained another victory after Shane went for a Sweet Shane Music but had his leg caught and rolled up for a 2-count. Shane was furious and hit a low blow followed up by an actual Sweet Shane Music which picked up the 3-count. (63,49,78)

- After Terry Funk's major announcement of being the team mate for The Untouchables, many thought the Untouchables were certainly going to finally get the W over The New Church. Terry Funk came out leading the pack and The New Church were led out by a 100% James Mitchell. The two groups got face to face and the ref seemingly just had the bell rung and didn't bother checking anyone for hidden objects, as the environment was so heated it could've led to a scuffle which he would've been right in the middle of. Michaels and Dinero started off the match with headlock exchanges and a shoulder tackle by Michaels. Dinero quickly tagged in O'Haire who obliterated Michaels with a stiff fucking lariat followed by a leg drop for a 2-count. O'Haire then started choking Michaels with his boot which resulted in Terry Funk entering the ring and brawling O'Haire to the outside. Slash and Dinero got in the ring and went to attack Michaels but Gore hit a moonsault press on both and took them down, which allowed Michaels to get up and start attacking the two. Funk and O'Haire fought outside and into the crowd while The Untouchables seemed to have Slash and Dinero under control in the ring. O'Haire used a chairshot on Funk and threw the hardcore legend over the guardrail. O'Haire set up a table near the apron as Funk slowly got to his feet. O'Haire pulled Funk up to the apron and signaled for a piledriver but Funk hit a lowblow and went for a piledriver of his own, but of course Mitchell had to interfere and used a fireball on Funk which allowed O'Haire to execute a piledriver through the table. Gore and Michaels tried to rush over to Funk but were blind sided by Dinero and Slash. O'Haire rolled Funk into the ring and picked up yet another cheap win for The New Church. (61,54,69)

- The final Junior Heavyweight Showcase match was not the best but certainly was very solid in its own rights. The four competitors really showcased the different styles of Junior Heavyweight action and left a good taste of what to expect the Junior Heavyweight Title match-up to be like. Jerrelle Clark, Ikuto Hidaka, Josh Daniels, and Austin Aries started the match in their respective corners and as soon as the bell rang Daniels and Clark went at it while Hidaka and Aries felt each other out. Clark quickly took Daniels down with a dropsault and followed the move up with a senton splash for a 2-count. Meanwhile, Hidaka and Aries exchanged forearms and Aries was able to get the upperhand after a backdrop over the top rope followed by an asai moonsault. Aries brought Hidaka back into the ring for a 2-count. Daniels made a comeback and set Clark up for an electric chair suplex, but Clark threw a few punches and was able to flip backwards and hit a reverse hurricanrana for the 3-count. Aries and Hidaka were unaware of Daniels elimination which allowed Clark to set up a surprise attack in the form of a moonsault press. Clark covered Hidaka but was unable to get past a 2-count. Aries was able to hit a german suplex on Clark and followed it up with a STF, which saw Hidaka hit a dropkick to the exposed face of Clark and busted him wide open. Hidaka then hit a kick straight to Aries's head and got a near 3-count. Hidaka then hit a fury of kicks that sent Aries to the outside while Clark slowly got up to his feet. Hidaka turned around into a hurricanrana and became another victim of the 630 Somersault which eliminated him. Aries snuck into the ring and used a chop block to take down Clark. Aries began working on Clark's leg and capitalized with a stretch muffer, which Clark escaped after throwing his heels at Aries head. Clark got up and was put back down with a STO and Aries took the opportunity and locked in a boston crab. Clark tried to get a ropebreak but was unsuccessful and tapped out after trying to fight out of the hold. (57,34,80)

- Pat Kenney came out following the intermission wearing a button down t-shirt and a pair of windbreaker pants. Kenney walked around the ring mocking fans and eventually entered the ring after grabbing a mic from MLW Announcer Kingdom James.

Pat Kenney: Simon has a problem! Since the genesis of MLW Version 4.0 I've been able to defeat top names and made it to the semi-finals for the MLW Heavyweight Title. I thought it was a logical conclussion to say that I'd gain respect by accomplishing going that far and being in a group with the likes of Satoshi Kojima, Taiyo Kea, and...CM Punk. But of course, some people just can't let go that I made the mistake of trying something new to respect my Irish heritage. And then... I realized I was only making a mockery of being Irish when infact I can do what we Irish have been known to be able to do since the beginning of time. That is, we can fight. So what is on Kenney's mind? Nothing! Because as of today Pat Kenney is the past and Simon Diamond is the future. And after I prove myself against "The Black Nature Boy" all the fans in this shitty hurricane ridden state will realize I'm not a joke. And when I win the Heavyweight title I'll be the best god damn thing to happen to this promotion since the Extreme Horsemen.

Diamond threw the microphone down and as he started to exit the ring Scoot Andrews came out and demanded for the match to start. Diamond simply unbuttoned his shirt and tore of his wincbreaker to reveal his Simon Diamond attire. Andrews got into the ring and both men's weights, hometowns, and names were announced. (78)

- Andrews tackled Diamond to the mat and went for a cross armbreaker but Diamond locked his fingers and rolled onto his side into the ropes to break the hold. Andrews and Diamond started a strength test which Diamond used a legsweep and double knees into Andrews stomach followed by a cross armbreaker of his own, which Andrews eventually got out of after maneuvering on the mat for half a minute. Diamond tried to follow up with an armdrag but Andrews used his legs to bounce off the ropes and hit Diamond with an armdrag. Andrews hit a splash to get a 2-count and got another 2-count after a belly to belly double arm suplex. Andrews tried to pick Diamond back up but got trapped in a cradle for a 2-count. Both men got back up and got into each others face. Andrews took a swing at Diamond but Diamond ducked and took Andrews down with a german suplex followed by an armbar and arm scissors hold (Rings of Saturn/Nagata Lock 3), which Andrews escaped after a rope break. Andrews got up quickly and hit a lariat which knocked Diamond backwards into the ropes, bouncing him back into Andrews who went for another lariat but Diamond ducked and grabbed the unused arm to execute an exploder suplex. Diamond picked up the then disoriented Andrews and hoisted him up into a Simonizer for the pinfall. (78,72,85)

- Taiyo Kea and Satoshi Kojima were set up to go face to face in what was thought to be a match of respect and one that would feature a high amount of punishment to and from both sides. The match started off with both making fun of each others most well known finishers, to Americans that is. Kea kept slapping his upper arm while Kojima mad faces while doing squats and throwing his arms to his right side. Both eventually stopped joking around and started the match with Kea grabbing Kojima into a side headlock and Kojima executing a back body drop for a 2-count. Kea and Kojima then proceeded to exchange slaps and forearms until Kojima fell down from a Kea forearm. Kojima tried to get up but received a running kick to the head which opened up the floodgates of Kea attacks aimed at Kojima's head. Kojima fought back though and nearly pinned Kea after a spontaneous Koji Cutter for a near 3-count. Kea was then blasted with a lariat and as Kojima went for another Kea ducked and was able to use a Hawaiian Crush for a near 3-count. Kea then hit another running kick which this time busted Kojima wide open, and like a shark Kojima went for a series of running kicks followed by a brainbuster. Kea went for the pin but Kojima still wouldn't stay down! Kea then locked in a sleeper hold as the blood poured out of Kojima, eerily similar to the amount from Yuji Nagata vs. Kensuke Sasaki (NJPW 1/4/04). The fans tried to give its energy to Kojima but in the end the ref called for the bell as Kojima showed no sign of being able to defend himself. Kea got up and checked on Kojima. As Kea stuck his head between the ropes he stopped, looked back at Kojima, and exited the ring. Kojima slowly got up with help from MLW officials. The camera's were rolling as Kojima, with towels wrapped around his head and 4 hands holding the towels, was confronted by Kea backstage. Kojima seemed extremely upset that his friend would put his (Kojima's) health at risk just to prove himself. Kea seemed just as upset that Kojima expected the two to be easy on each other. It ended with Kea slapped Kojima and walking away. (81,71,91)

- The first MLW Heavyweight Title defense pitted two of the Mid West's best stars in yet another match, but this time in a southern state that isn't overly informed on Chris Hero. Both men looked very strong and into the match as they opened it up with a handshake followed by an exchange of open hand punches. Punk was the first to go down to the mat after an elbow to the head and Hero quickly mounted Punk and worked on the arm with an arm wringer. Punk fought through the pain, connected with European uppercuts which caused Hero to let go of the hold, and allowed Punk to get in some offense with a headlock. Hero was able to cradle Punk up while in the headlock for a 2-count and he eventually stood up and back body dropped Punk headfirst onto the top rope. Punk started trying to punch Hero but was missing and Hero attempted an early Hero's Welcome but Punk rolled him up for a 2-count. Punk got back up, and seemed to be perfectly fine, and started clubbing at Hero's back which caused Hero to kneel down right into a fairly good Shining Wizard. Punk picked Hero back up and threw him into the turnbuckle for what was supposed a clothesline but Hero caught Punk and went for an STO, but Punk used his amazing speed and took Hero down into a crossface hold. Hero fought to the ropes and as Punk attempted to roll back Chris Benoit-style he was again rolled up for a 2-count. Punk got right back up to his feet and started stomping on Hero's head and stomach, trying to do anything and everything to take out his arch-nemesis. Punk spent the next 5 minutes keeping Hero down and working on the arm while Hero seemed legitimately hurt in the ring. Punk called for a bulldog but Hero hit a high angle back body drop and applied a camel clutch to Punk's irritated neck. Punk and Hero eventually stopped the technical wrestling and went back to brawling all over the ring, much to the crowds dismay. Hero seemed to have the match wrapped up after hitting an enziguri and going for a Hero's Welcome but Punk hit a massive uppercut and used Hero's own move against him. Punk was able to get a 2-count and applied various submission holds aimed at Hero's arm. Hero finally screwed himself over after attempting a lariat but was caught by Punk and hit with a Devil Lock DDT in the center of the ring. Hero did everything he could to try to get out of the hold but after struggling for 10 seconds he finally tapped out. (83,72,95)

Major League Newswire

February 2005

- The Untouchables have requested 60 days off. Many are speculating that the requests have to do with The New Church's continued attacks and many in the back are feeling as if MLW management aren't providing enough protection and those that speak out against The New Church are not willing to confront the group about their recent actions. This has led to a tons of tension between workers. A certain tag team however has contacted MLW and stated that they are willing to attempt to solve the problem once and for all. To make the match fair James Mitchell and Sean O'Haire are banned from ringside.

- Many in the back have also seen Scoot Andrews become very anti-social and one source has even heard phone conversations in which Andrews has stated that if things don't change soon he's going to do things he might regret. MLW management has confronted Andrews about the situation and he has promised that he isn't doing anything wrong and that the phone conversations he's been having are nothing but calls to and from family.

- Satoshi Kojima and Taiyo Kea's recent fallout has become so big that both men have tried to ambush each other in other promotions events. MLW has decided on doing a 6-Man Tag involving fellow All-Japan superstars in order to get a resolution before any more happens.

- Generation Next have been touting the recent win of Austin Aries and the fact that the stable will have the Junior Heavyweight Champion in its ranks. Alex Shelley, Jack Evans and Roderick Strong have all requested no matches. MLW has officially granted Evans and Strong's wishes, but would not grant Shelley's and announced he would face Chris Hero at Walking The Edge.

- Jerrelle Clark and Josh Daniels will finally meet one on one in what should be a great match. Daniels has fallen victim to Clark by pinfall in both of the meetings, from Final Destination and Wrestlefest 2005. Daniels, a protege of Steve Corino, has been training with Ikuto Hidaka, a fellow Z-1 fighter.

MLW PRESENTS...

Walking The Edge

2/18/05

Main Event

MLW Junior Heavyweight Title

Austin Aries vs. Kaz Hayashi vs. Jason Cross vs. Petey Williams

Six-Man Tag

Satoshi Kojima/Asian Assassins vs. Taiyo Kea/Kazushi Miyamoto/NOSAWA

Chris Hero vs. Alex Shelley

Heartbreak Challenge #3

Michael Shane/Ikuto Hidaka vs. Adam Windsor/Sonjay Dutt

Grudge Match

Jerrelle Clark vs. Josh Daniels

The New Church vs. X

Plus: Scoot Andrews, CM Punk, Simon Diamond, and MORE.

Note: Thanks to Gaby for the event name!

Edited by Mr. X

• 1 year later...