100 Songs

Liam

Whilst Hammy has gone with his top 100, GoGo has gone with his favourite from the 90's, and metalman has gone with 100 you probably haven't heard of and are amazingly wanky (:shifty:), I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring for this. However, since it is bloody hard to choose my 100 favourites, I've gone for 100 songs that, whilst being amongst my favourites, are cobbled together by using last.fm, and reflecting on my childhood and other key times in my life and the kinda music I was into. Unlike Hammy, I'm not necessarily going to list bands where I can compare their back catalogues......if I like one song of theirs, then that is it.

Also, expect a bit more metal than the others would probably dish out (but not a massive amount).

To start this off with a bang, my favourite song by my favourite band when I was young.

1. Savage Garden 'To The Moon And Back'

Yeah, as starts go, you couldn't get much better :shifty:

But seriously, first album I bought included this song. Remember listening to my Dad's cassette version, and eventually picking it up on CD. Could have gone more obvious and chose 'Truly Madly Deeply', but this realistically meant more to me when younger. Plus, as pop goes, it is pretty good.

Edited by Liam
  • Like 3

Just for reference, this isn't in any order. I'm gonna try and bunch songs by genre, or anything else that I think may link the songs though. For these two (and the next couple of posts), you get my early 90's childhood, and UK Indie/Pop. The next few are bands that, whilst not one hit wonders as such, have a couple of songs mainly attributed to them.

2.Dodgy 'Good Enough'

My Dad has their CD, and I just remember listening to this a lot when I was younger. One of those ones that most people know, and enjoy on some level.

3. Mansun 'Wide Open Space'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af_jSfsKLSI&ob=av2e

The last sentence for Dodgy kinda fits for this band. Never heard much of their other stuff, but remember this one vividly from my childhood. Strangely enough, my ex-girlfriend had this album in her rather small collection.

Edited by Liam

Good Enough! I am five years old again! Seriously. It felt so weird hearing that for what must have been the first time for like...fifteen years, when it was absolutely everywhere.

Oh and that Wide Open Space song was on the Ministry of Sound Indie compilation that was really popular a month or two back so I've actually heard it a fair bit recently.

And my list isn't especially unknown! And is not wanky at all!

I know it isn't, I just had to place your list in a spectrum along with the other three :shifty:

I wouldn't worry too much, mine will be the one with a few 'ah, cool' moments, but will otherwise be hideously self indulgent, I'm sure!

Rattling through a few today, as I'll probably be too lazy to add to this tomorrow >_>

So yeah, more UK Indie.

4. Shed Seven 'Chasing Rainbows'

One from my childhood, but I had completely forgotten about it until finding their best of in my ex girlfriends CD collection. With the last two I listed, you can see I have a penchant for fairly dreary, insipid indie tunes, which is never a good thing.

5. Space 'Neighbourhood'

I found this song on one of the old 'Now....' collections, and absolutely loved it as a kid. Probably because the lyrics, which are awesome.

'In number 18, there lives a big butch queen.

He's bigger than Tyson and he's twice as mean.'

Brilliant, lyrical poetry...

Edited by Liam

The next two are linked by them being artists that I got into due to my parents.

Firstly, my Mum.

6. Garth Brooks 'Standing Outside The Fire'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbkBp04ykQg

Love me some Garth Brooks, but could only find this video to go with the song. Could have gone for 'The Red Strokes', but this one means a bit more to me. Still dig out some Garth Brooks from time to time. Cheesy stuff, but generally pretty catchy.

Secondly, my Dad.

7. INXS 'Never Tear Us Apart'

'Devil Inside' is probably the first song I remember listening to from INXS, but this is my preferred song these days. The 'Kick' album as a whole is pretty awesome. My Dad had the Kick VHS, which I watched a lot when I was young.

• Like 1

Unlike my Mum, my Dad had a major influence on some of the earlier stuff that I listened to. Here are another couple of bands that get the heads up based on me hearing them through him.

8. U2 with BB King 'When Loves Comes To Town'

Ok, so I could have gone for a more obvious choice, but I love this song. Bit different from what they are known for, and catchy. Stands out for me amongst some of their other stuff.

9. Crowded House 'Fall At Your Feet'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82JZh3VyE2M

Could have gone for something a little bit more upbeat by them, but this is legitimately my favourite song from then. They had some awesome singles in general, The Finns are brilliant song-writers, write some good hooks and memorable lyrics.

• Like 1

I'll give credit once again to my Dad for these next two.

10. The Cult 'She Sells Sanctuary

A band I've actually got into a lot more recently, but this song is one of my Dad's favourites, and it is awesome. The Cult just do some brilliant songs.

11. New Order 'True Faith'

I'm not as much into New Order as I feel I should be, but between this and 'Blue Monday', they have two of my favourite songs. This just edges 'Blue Monday', as it is catchier, and not as over-played >_>

• Like 1

To add to the people who have shaped aspects of my musical taste when young.

12. Gordon Lightfoot 'If You Could Read My Mind

One of my Stepdad's favourite songs, and just beautiful. Never heard any other Lightfoot to be honest, but easily one of my favourite songs.

13. The Pogues 'Dirty Old Town'

This just reminds me of times spent with my best friend from primary school and his Dad+friends. Big Irish family, and The Pogues were a mainstay of any drinking/partying. This is easily my favourite song by them, although they do have some other crackers.

Another two indie hits from when I was younger.

14. Kula Shaker 'Hush'

Admittedly, a cover version, but still, I did enjoy a bit of Kula Shaker back in the day. Bought one of their CD's off of Ebay when I was at Uni. This is probably my favourite one they did.

15. Pulp 'Disco 2000'

'Different Class' is one of my favourite albums ever, just excellent stuff all round. This just edges the other obvious choice 'Common People', though the temptation to give a nod to 'Sorted Out For E's and Whizz' was almost too much.

Another two songs that I remember from my childhood, and I then rediscovered in Uni at some point.

16. Connor Reeves 'My Father's Son'

Not exactly amazing, but I really used to like this song. That and 'Earthbound' got a fairly decent amount of rotation on UK radios also.

17. Bush 'Swallowed'

Never really enjoyed too much of their output other than this song, and this does get ever so slightly repetitive, but I loved this when I was younger, and also starts a transition ever so slightly into heavier stuff. Other things would push me further along that path though, which I'll get to next post

So, two gateway songs for my move into less mainstream music.

18. Nirvana 'Lounge Act'

I had a friend who was making copies of CD's before it was easily done. My Dad recommended I pick up 'Nevermind' off of him, so I did. Could have gone for any number of songs, but this one is one of my favourites, and isn't as overplayed as some of the more 'obvious' choices. Even though it would have been 1998-ish, was still blown away by this.

19. Deftones 'Feiticeira'

I bought 'White Pony' off of a friend and really didn't like it initially. I went back to it about six months later, and loved it. Still one of my favourite albums, and this song was only really pushed hard by 'Street Carp'. Deftones seem to be an either love or hate kinda band, but as mainstream metal/rock goes, I think they at least try something different for the most part.

As I started to get more into alternative music, I began to enjoy the bands that Maynard James Keenan sang for. Here are two songs:

20. Tool 'Prison Sex'

I bought 'Lateralus' cheap from MVC, and really didn't like it. But, similar to 'White Pony', listening 6 months later, I really got into it. Whilst this song isn't from that album, it is probably my favourite Tool song, although it is really difficult to make a choice.

21. A Perfect Circle '3 Libras'

A Perfect Circle are a band I was hugely into, but kinda died off over time. Their first album is still arguably the best, and this is my personal favourite song. Saw these live when they had James Iha and Twiggy Ramirez playing for them, and they were one of the best live bands I've seen to this date.

As Nirvana got me into more alternative music, grunge would be the best place to head for this post.

22. Soundgarden 'The Day I Tried To Live'

I'll be honest, 'Black Hole Sun' was naturally the first song I heard, but this is my favourite Soundgarden song. Another band I really am nowhere near as into as I used to be.

23. Alice In Chains 'Junkhead'

As time goes on, probably my favourite band that could be considered 'grunge'. Brilliant song writing, and although not an obvious choice, a really good song from their best album, 'Dirt.