TENATIVE Setlist for Johnny Cash's "American V"

Hobo

On the Sotherby's website for next month's auction is a handwritten sheet from Johnny that Sotherby's calls a "tentative setlist" for American V. Who knows how many of these will make the final album, but this is probably a good idea of what Johnny MAY have wanted on the album.

Family Bible

San Antonio Rose

Like The 309

Redemption Day

Here Come's A Boy

That's Enough

1st Corinthians 5:55

Help Me

Further On (Up The Road)

I Can't Help But Wonder

Nine Pound Hammer

North To Alaska

Love's Been Good To Me

Ain't No Grave

His Eye Is On The Sparrow

I Was There When It Happened

Aloha Oe

Four Strong Winds

If I Could Hear My Mother

The Eye Of An Eagle

Don't Take Everybody

Belshazzar

Loading Coal

Half A Mile A Day

I Am A Pilgrim

Beautiful Dreamer

Urgh, none of those are manky gimmick covers right? I hated that "Hurt" song, and his version of Rusty Cage.

Come on, that song was beautiful. The video was SCREWED OUT OF THE VMA FOR BEST VIDEO, that slut Missy Elliot shouldve never won it. I'm boycotting that show forever because they screwed a legend out of an award. FUCK MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS AND FUCK MISSY ELLIOT.

Guest Wrestling_Man

Urgh, none of those are manky gimmick covers right? I hated that "Hurt" song, and his version of Rusty Cage.

Come on, that song was beautiful. The video was SCREWED OUT OF THE VMA FOR BEST VIDEO, that slut Missy Elliot shouldve never won it. I'm boycotting that show forever because they screwed a legend out of an award. FUCK MTV VIDEO MUSIC AWARDS AND FUCK MISSY ELLIOT.

Guest Angry Baboon

It was nice, but it wasn't nearly as decent Cash's original stuff. I'd rather he wrote original stuff as his final legacy, and not covered some wank song whiny teens pretend to slash their wrists to.

Edited by Angry Baboon

It was nice, but it wasn't nearly as decent Cash's original stuff. I'd rather he wrote original stuff as his final legacy, and not covered some wank song whiny teens pretend to slash their wrists to.

I think he would have written stuff if he could. He could hardly see towards the end of his life, only played the guitar on "Streets Of Laredo" on American IV (he hadn't played on American III) he was pretty ill. The only new Cash song on the last album was When The Man Comes Around and that was the first orginal song he had released since American Recordings. The amount of covers he did on the last two albums increased but he had a thing about making the songs "his" or else they wouldn't work. I believe that Chris Martin (that the right guy?) of Coldplay wrote a song for Cash to record I'm not sure if Cash ever did record it.

Also just to answer your orignal question:

Family Bible (Willie Nelson recorded it but someone else wrote it Cash and Nelson preformed it on VH1 Storytellers in 1998)

San Antonio Rose (I think Willie Nelson again)

Redemption Day (Sheryl Crow I think)

Further On (Up The Road) (From Bruce Springsteens "The Rising" Album...personally I can't wait to here this..it should make the album because it has been mentioned a few times in various places)

Ain't No Grave (A Traditional song, which I hope lends the album its name....that would just be the best!)

Aloha Oe (Aloha Oe, Aloha Oe until we meet again... dunno who sung it first but thats the song)

Four Strong Winds (Neil Young, for the love of God Rick Rubin better put this on the final album...I think they recorded Neil Young songs for every American album and they've never made it on to the final cut.)

I Am A Pilgrim (Cash previously recorded this song for "My Mothers Hym Book")

Those are alll the ones I know.

You mean the others aren't covers (or unknown?) Darn it- I was hoping that the title of "Help Me" meant that Cash had bypassed NIN and decided to cover Nick Carter on his next album (it would be pure evil, but come on- that would be interesting to see...)