TEW05 Classic Update: 1997

Wow, thanks for the update, Who.

There are, I think, some alignment problems with WWF in the game (maybe WCW, I didn't play that yet), as several heels at the time (Triple H, Austin, Sultan) are listed as faces. Or is that just my memory playing tricks on me?

No, Austin was definitely a heel at the beginning of '97. He was only a face after his match with Bret at WrestleMania.

There are a few alignment problems in WCW too, for example Chris Benoit and Woman being heels even though they were feuding with Kevin Sullivan and getting face reactions with the Horsemen. Arn is also a heel, in spite of getting huge face reactions. Steve McMichaels is a face and so is Debra even though they were getting MAJOR heel heat (they were heat magnets, even though they were with the Horsemen).

Cena gets heat from fans, yet he's still a face. Its the same idea, Mongo got alot of heat back then, but was still a face and a member of the Horsemen. If you disagree, then maybe Hogan, Hall and Nash should all be faces because the NWO got huge face reactions.

Fair point, though Debra and Mongo were kinda working heel quite a bit in January and were purposefully drawing said heat a lot of the time unlike Cena who just kinda...y'know...exists and gets heat. I'll concede that they may have just been really dickish faces.

Edited by modernoni

Wow, thanks for the update, Who.

There are, I think, some alignment problems with WWF in the game (maybe WCW, I didn't play that yet), as several heels at the time (Triple H, Austin, Sultan) are listed as faces. Or is that just my memory playing tricks on me?

No, Austin was definitely a heel at the beginning of '97. He was only a face after his match with Bret at WrestleMania.

There are a few alignment problems in WCW too, for example Chris Benoit and Woman being heels even though they were feuding with Kevin Sullivan and getting face reactions with the Horsemen. Arn is also a heel, in spite of getting huge face reactions. Steve McMichaels is a face and so is Debra even though they were getting MAJOR heel heat (they were heat magnets, even though they were with the Horsemen).

Cena gets heat from fans, yet he's still a face. Its the same idea, Mongo got alot of heat back then, but was still a face and a member of the Horsemen. If you disagree, then maybe Hogan, Hall and Nash should all be faces because the NWO got huge face reactions.

Fair point, though Debra and Mongo were kinda working heel quite a bit in January and were purposefully drawing said heat a lot of the time unlike Cena who just kinda...y'know...exists and gets heat. I'll concede that they may have just been really dickish faces.

Yeah I'm not really disagreeing with what you said either, but with no tweener option on TEW it's better just to list him as what he was, although he would act like a complete asshole at that time.

I have some info to contribute

Michinoku Pro

-Change style to either Lucha Entertainment or Cutting Edge

-Change size to Cult

-Gran Naniwa and Super Delfin should be a tag team with at least B experience

-Add Jushin Lyger on a pay per appearance contract. Main event push and face.

-Kaz Hayashi should go by Shiryu in Michinoku Pro and be a heel

-KaiEnTai stable should include Taka Michinoku, Funaki, Men's Teioh, Dick Togo, and Shiryu

-All members of KaiEnTai should have tag team experience with each other at C- (with Taka and Funaki having B experience)

-Jinsei Shinzaki should be heavyweight size

-Dick Togo's stats are way too low. That guy was on fire even back in 97. Change his technical, flying, and physical skills all to B.

-Gran Hamada's technical skills should be at B+

-Make Great Sasuke and Gran Hamada a tag team with C experience

-I know Dos Caras was in Michinoku but I don't remember Mil Mascaras ever doing anything. That needs confirmation though.

-Taka Michinoku should have a pay per appearance deal with WWF as an opener

CMLL

-Dr. Wagner Jr. is set to only perform in Japan. Add Mexico to his availability.

-Dr. Wagner Jr. and Silver King should be a tag team with C experience.

-Put Dr. Wagner Jr. on the New Japan roster as a midcarder. Also add him to Big Japan as he performed there a few times while in Japan.

-Dos Caras and Mil Mascaras should be a team with A* experience

AAA

-Blue Panther's stats are way too low. Increase his technical, entertainment, and physical stats to B+. He was a huge star in mexico so he should be an upper midcarder or main eventer in AAA.

ECW

-Size changed to cult

-Style changed to Cutting Edge

Misc

-There's a Giant Kimala employed in AJPW and a Kamala in the unemployed. There only needs to be one. Kamala should also have C- tag team experience with Abdullah the Butcher as they both participated in AJPW's World Strongest Tag League. Also need to add a strong dislike of Vince McMahon in his relations.

-Ken Shamrock should be employed in the WWF

-Villiano I, III, IV, and V should all be employed in CMLL

Don't change ECW to Cutting Edge. It's a hardcore promotion with 80% matches, 20% angles, not a bunch of fans who want to see ONLY wrestling at a 90%/10% ratio.

For this same reason I'd say WCW should be Traditional rather than Cutting Edge. I wouldn't go ahead and say it should be Sports Entertainment, but it's definitely more angle-heavy than match-heavy and early into that year just about every other Nitro main event seemed to be canceled because of one nWo angle or another. I can kind of understand the decision to make WCW Cutting Edge based on the variety of their roster, but they really were still just a Traditional company with some cruiserweights eating up time at the bottom of the card.

Agreed, WCW is certainly sports entertainment at this point, and in no way traditional when Bischoff had it in his mind in January of 97 that WCW was going to split up into two "promotions". While you could say what they were doing booking wise was cutting edge at this time, in no way does that "style" describe WCW at all, especially technically because CE is, as previously mentioned, a 90/10 M/A ratio.

Michinoku Pro

-Add Jushin Lyger on a pay per appearance contract. Main event push and face.

-I know Dos Caras was in Michinoku but I don't remember Mil Mascaras ever doing anything. That needs confirmation though.

-Taka Michinoku should have a pay per appearance deal with WWF as an opener

- I can find no reference to Liger wrestling for M-Pro in 97, all I got is one show in August 96.

- Mascaras was on the last show I could find for 96 which was the Anniversary show, how I build rosters for smaller promotions is a mix of the last two shows of the previous year and the first 2 of the year in question.

- Taka Michinoku didn’t join the WWF until July.

CMLL

-Put Dr. Wagner Jr. on the New Japan roster as a midcarder. Also add him to Big Japan as he performed there a few times while in Japan.

- Wagner Jr. wasn’t working NJPW till May.

ECW

-Size changed to cult

-Style changed to Cutting Edge

- Before ECW got on PPV their wasn’t many regions who knew anything about them, if I remember right they only had TV in Philly and Florida and it was through their PPV they grew a wider audience. Plus they didn’t tour that far from their main base until 1998/99 unlike modern cult promotions like ROH.

- And as said before there is no way ECW will have their style changed, the only time they were anything other than Hardcore was pre UltraClash in 1993, and then I’d also class them as Garbage through 94/95.

Misc

-There's a Giant Kimala employed in AJPW and a Kamala in the unemployed. There only needs to be one. Kamala should also have C- tag team experience with Abdullah the Butcher as they both participated in AJPW's World Strongest Tag League. Also need to add a strong dislike of Vince McMahon in his relations.

-Ken Shamrock should be employed in the WWF

-Villiano I, III, IV, and V should all be employed in CMLL

- Giant Kimala is actually Botswana Beast someone who was copying Kamala

- Shamrock didn’t join the WWF until April.

- Los Villanos spent 96 in AAA and all records I can find for them in 97 was in WCW or indy shows.

Don't change ECW to Cutting Edge. It's a hardcore promotion with 80% matches, 20% angles, not a bunch of fans who want to see ONLY wrestling at a 90%/10% ratio.

For this same reason I'd say WCW should be Traditional rather than Cutting Edge. I wouldn't go ahead and say it should be Sports Entertainment, but it's definitely more angle-heavy than match-heavy and early into that year just about every other Nitro main event seemed to be canceled because of one nWo angle or another. I can kind of understand the decision to make WCW Cutting Edge based on the variety of their roster, but they really were still just a Traditional company with some cruiserweights eating up time at the bottom of the card.

I feel for the time WCW was cutting edge, while their was a lot of storylines going on, a lot of the undercard was the cruiserweights and luchas who were over as well as having a good solid wrestlers, Sports Entertainment is in effect the "Attitude Era" style.

Edited by TheWho87

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...