2012 NCAA College Football Thread

Wow, Week 2 is going to be fun as all hell to watch. Plenty of interesting match ups, and some upset alerts early in the conference season.

****Watch out games****

UGA @ Mizzou 41-20

UF @ ATM 20-17

Wisconsin @ OrgST 7-10

Auburn @ MissST 10-28

***Watch out games with FCS schools***

UC Davis @ SJSU 13-45

North Dakota ST @ Col State 22-7

E Washington @ Wazzu 20-24

NH @ Minn 7-44

Got two of the FBS match ups with A&M being a tough loss. Mizzou was looking good until they started (literally) handing the ball over to UGA leaving that scoreline much worse than the game actually was.

FCS match ups surprised me really. SJSU, just wow ... as well as Minnesota. Didn't see either of those schools being able to do what they're supposed to do against FCS opponents. Got NDSU over Col State, which makes Colorado feel great I'm sure. Wazzu escapes.

LOL of the week is easily Arkansas, but UNLV (loss to Northern Arizona), Colorado State (loss NDSU), Colorado (loss to Sacramento State), and Eastern Michigan (bad loss to Illinois State) all get a nod as well.

We already play 3 or 4 ACC teams every year anyway so not much change. Alternate FSU and Miami with VA Tech thrown in every few years and it could be fun. I'm sure we will keep Boston College and Pitt every year like we already do.

Well, the problem is that half of the "reason" the school is touting for remaining a football independent is the whole breaking of long standing traditions with the Big10 schools etc etc ... yet here they are making a move NOT in football and they'll almost certainly have to break those off. The recent revival of the series with Miami and now Wake lifts the total of current ACC teams to 3. Before that, BC was really the only ACC team and even that was born out of the Big East and predates all of this. Pitt isn't an ACC team, yet.

It's just more of ND acting like it's 1985 and prior.

So which traditions/rivalries do you kill ND ?

Navy

Mich St

Purdue

Mich

USC (absolutely not)

Stanford

Probably Stanford. We are taking a break from Michigan in 18-19-20 if I'm not mistaken. Probably will keep Navy and Michigan State. Guarantee we keep USC. Purdue is a toss up.

I mean we can keep each one and have the five ACC games. It's just a loaded schedule, though no more than this years.

Probably Stanford. We are taking a break from Michigan in 18-19-20 if I'm not mistaken. Probably will keep Navy and Michigan State. Guarantee we keep USC. Purdue is a toss up.

I mean we can keep each one and have the five ACC games. It's just a loaded schedule, though no more than this years.

Immediately yes, but it is going to get tricky sooner rather than later. The "mega" conferences aren't done and the scheduling for them is only trending towards more conference games, not less. The Big 10 is heavily looking at a 9 game conference schedule. Things like that and now the agreement to have to play 5 ACC schools a year is going to take away from dates that ND can offer other schools. That doesn't even take into account what other schools are willing to do to continue playing ND. There are going to only be more and more moving parts with this that won't make it easy at all to keep things as they are with their scheduling. This is already happening with the future schedules (see 2015 and UMass). With ND holding full media rights to all of its home games, the window to play them becomes less attractive on down the road.

At least the ACC will be scheduling the 5 games though ... least there's that.

Does this leave an opening for the ACC to piggyback on ND's contract with NBC in any way?

It's ND that will piggyback on the ABC/ESPN deal the ACC has. With the addition of ND on the ACC schedule 5 times a year now (alternating 2 home games/3 home games each year) the ACC is going to leverage for a better deal since they'll have 10 ND games every 4 years.

Good wrap up of details

^ :puke: "Notre Dame will be part of the A.C.C.’s bowl lineup as long as the Irish finish within one win of other eligible conference teams or are ranked higher in the Bowl Championship Series standings. Notre Dame will keep the television revenue from its NBC contract, will share in the men’s basketball revenue (one-fifteenth of 20 percent of overall conference revenue) and will share in the non-B.C.S. bowl revenue, too."

:puke: :puke: :puke:

Hater.

And we won't necessarily "piggyback" on any television deal considering we are already on TV every week. ABC or ESPN pick up every road game. I guess you mean that we will be getting a percentage of the conference's revenue?

Not sure why the ACC would share in non-BCS revenue. But if that's part of the deal, are they suppose to say "No, thanks"? No university would turn down more money. Seems like the ACC wants ND more than the other way around.

• Like 1

Hater.

:rolleyes:

Even as a ND fan there is absolutely zero way you can justify ND getting this type of deal when they've simply not been anything remotely resembling "ND" in 20 years. You simply can't. However ....

And we won't necessarily "piggyback" on any television deal considering we are already on TV every week. ABC or ESPN pick up every road game. I guess you mean that we will be getting a percentage of the conference's revenue?

Not sure why the ACC would share in non-BCS revenue. But if that's part of the deal, are they suppose to say "No, thanks"? No university would turn down more money. Seems like the ACC wants ND more than the other way around.

Of course I'm not expecting them to say "no thanks" ... it's 100% fantastic business by ND. That doesn't mean that it can't make me sick to my stomach that everybody is still thinking it's the late 80's. I'm actually old enough to remember THE Notre Dame and the last 20 years and the laughing stock they've become (relatively speaking of course). In the early 90's when the B10 tried their grab for ND (when they brought in PSU) and ND said "no thanks" they still were standing on a true semblance of what they'd always been. It made sense. Now ? Ugh, not even close. ND gets to cut in line in the ACC bowl slots ? WTF ? Horseshit. And of course they still have their BCS exception to policy ...

Yeah, ND is going to be getting shared revenues from the ACC's football kitty. The conference will be able to (at least marginally) push up their asking price for the TV contract when they'll be getting 5 ND games every 2 years. Over a 10 year contract they'll have 25 ND games to add to the FSU/VT etc etc selling point.

Of course the ACC was smart to do this. Even Mike Brey (on Mike and Mike this morning) stated that ND can't hold out forever. The way things are shaping going forward, ND will have to join a conference as a full on member. The ACC all but signed that contract with this move. It's a long term investment for the conference. NDs NBC deal was already lagging behind and they certainly weren't in position to negotiate it higher. Now they've lost a couple of those home games (always a home heavy schedule due to being Independent) at minimum every other year which also weakens the pot with NBC. Yeah, shared revenues will be coming in from the ACC but it pretty much just puts them back at square one. Also, exactly how much they'll end up netting from the ACC is in question. They already shared away game revenues from ABC/ESPN with the away games against USC/Big10 etc. So are they really any better of monies wise ? If they are, it isn't by much, at least not immediately.

I can justify it by saying those with the power to make the deal thought it was worth it. Nothing I can say will sway your opinion on the matter, and that's fine. There isn't one thing in this world that everybody has the same stance on. Are we constantly battling for a National Championship like we were under Holtz? Of course not. But Notre Dame still has one of the largest fanbases, from coast to coast. And that's the appeal.

No "laughing stock" gets discussed more than Notre Dame. ESPN spouts their hypocritical bullshit about how "irrelevant" the Irish are, only to discuss them constantly. Whether they're winning 8 or 9 games or 11 or 12, their name draws a crowd. And even I will admit that it's sad, but money is more important than win total nowadays.

The problem with Notre Dame is they have their tv deal because they're Notre Dame, not because they're any good. They haven't been relevant on a constant basis since Lou Holtz was their coach *. Not that I can think of a majorly popular college team that deserves a contract like that as much or more....

I don't exactly hate Notre Dame with a passion, but I don't like them either. My worst nightmare would be an Alabama-Notre Dame matchup, because I'd have to pull for the Fighting Irish while holding my nose.

* And I did (and do) hate Lou Holtz, because he was a dirty coach.

Week 3 Watch Out games:

ULM @ Auburn (hey, they just took Arkansas and Auburn is in a world of hurt - that said it could be ugly)

Bama @ Ark (I know how it looks, which is exactly why I'll keep an eye on it. I won't blink an eye on yet another Bama dominance, but this is exactly the type of game and set up that screws teams up in the SEC)

NC @ Louisville (NC is better than they played last week and Louisville has looked good but still hasn't decided if they're going to take the next step or not)

Utah State @ Wisconsin (Utah State is on fire, and Wisconsin is one game away from shitting the bed on the season)

Watch out games with FCS Schools:

Northern Iowa @ Iowa

Stony Brook @ Syracuse

Yeah, I was bummed when they decided to kneel it when they had 28 seconds left in regulation. I know they were on their own 15, but I'd have liked to see them take a shot. Clearly if the BCS ever needs anyone who will at least play the SEC tough in the Bowl games they should just call UL-Monroe :shifty:.

Oh, and LET'S GO IRISH!!