The Continuing Chronicles Of Jay Feaster's Incompetence

Ruki

Reimer looked great again. Montreal had some jump in the second, and Reimer closed the door. Then, after JVR scored, it just seemed totally one sided.

I hated the way the game ended though. Cheap shots from both sides. Colton Orr throwing his knee out on someone. It all just left a bad taste in my mouth after a good win for my team.

To be fair, I wouldn't blame Grabbo for biting (if he did)...his nose and mouth were covered, being grabbed from behind...

And it looks like Holzer is riding shotgun to Dion again. I've yet to see a game with this pairing, curious to see how they've looked.

Leland Irving shouldn't even be allowed to spectate an NHL game, let alone play in one.

QFE.

His numbers don't tell the story. Irving has given the Flames the opportunity to win in every game he's played so far. The team just can't capitalize on the chances they get, break down in the defensive zone, and leave Irving out to dry.

I would prefer that Feaster either blew it up and went full rebuild right now, or went out and got a significant goalie that can share the crease with Kipper this year... but if they're going with Irving, the blame needs to be directed in the right place, and it isn't in net.

I dont see Calgary rebuilding as long as they have Kipper.

Which is unfortunate. He's slowed down and isn't able to steal games like he used to. He's still an elite goalie, but he needs a better team in front of him. Iginla as well, has shown that at this point in his career he should be considered a support player. He can still bring it and provide offense and a gritty presence, but he's no longer capable of being the top forward.

Honestly, if I'm Jay Feaster, I nail down a forward, defenseman and goalie that I want to move out for younger pieces. Not a full-on rebuild, but enough of a change that some other guys will get more opportunities and maybe we can fill some holes in the lineup.

I move Iginla, Bouwmeester and Kiprusoff... try to get back a capable and young NHL goalie who has elite-upside, and some size and skill in the offensive zone.

I target Viktor Fasth, Jonathan Bernier, Ben Bishop and James Reimer (all from teams who could use any of the three pieces I'm moving out).

For forwards, Ryan O'Reilly is an obvious target given his contract situation in Colorado, Jaromir Jagr could really help the development of Cervenka, a guy like Darren Helm provides good physicality and skill, Dustin Penner isn't ideal but could be packaged with Bernier and provide a power forward, Niederreiter wants off the Island, and they could use a guy like Bouwmeester, and I really like Leo Komarov and Mikhail Grabovski.

Our defensive corps needs to tighten up, but I think that comes with the departure of the inconsistent Bouwmeester and the clearly defined roles of the remaining players. What's asked of our bottom four defensemen currently depends on which JayBo shows up to play, and it creates all kinds of defensive zone fuck-ups.

I say, send Iginla to Los Angeles if we can get Bernier and Penner in return. Maybe package in some other players if we can get draft picks or prospects back, otherwise keep it to Iggy and guys in the minors that we don't expect to be major players for us. Don't move Jarome for the sake of moving him though, make sure the team gets back something that fills a hole.

Kick the tires in Toronto and see if they'd like to have Kiprusoff. Asking price is Komarov and Grabovski, with room to move if the right prospects or picks are included.

Finally, send Bouwmeester to Detroit. A deal almost happened in the off-season, and I really think he would flourish under the leadership of Babcock. Ideally, I want Darren Helm in any package we can get, but for the sake of the team's consistency, I accept a package of prospects and picks that includes at least one first rounder. Yeah, we want him out of Calgary, but the ceiling on his potential is too high to let him go for anything that doesn't have potential to turn into a franchise type player.

So, ideally...

out: Jarome Iginla, Jay Bouwmeester and Miika Kiprusoff.

in: Dustin Penner, Leo Komarov, Mikhail Grabovski, Darren Helm and Jonathan Bernier.

As a favor to guys who play hard and might get scratched due to the influx of players, I try to include Tim Jackman, Matt Stajan and Steve Begin in any deals that take place. Also, Irving or Danny Taylor can be moved if we can send them somewhere that they will get a chance to play in.

This won't happen. I know it won't, but the roster has holes. There are teams out there willing to move good pieces to add missing pieces. The Flames need to think about life after Iginla and Kiprusoff, and the team they have surrounding them right now just isn't good enough to cover up for their aging. Detroit's been interested in Bouwmeester for awhile. Toronto isn't desperate for a goalie, but if they can get a legit starter who can play 65% of the games, it insulates Reimer, gives him a mentor to look up to, and gives him some time to become comfortable as an NHL goalie. LA just needs to move Bernier, who has asked to be moved several times and apparently Penner is on the outs with the team. Could you imagine the damage that Iginla could do on a team like the Kings? With the possible line combinations and the fact that he wouldn't be counted upon to be the top dog, I could see him regaining his scoring touch and getting that excitement back into his game.

For the good of the players, and the good of the team, I think this has to be done. The biggest hurdle I see is whether or not Feaster wants to be the guy who moves our star players out. The Flames came to prominence in the early part of the new millenium because of a deal that moved out our most popular and best player at the time (Nieuwendyk), and they've fallen from the upper tiers of the league because of a refusal by General Managers and Ownership to do something that worked for us before.