365 Days of Europe.

Katsuya

So, I thought I'd try something new. Mainly because I can't be bothered doing a blog about this, but I thought someone might like this on here. As many of you are probably aware by now, I've sort of got a massive thing for all different types of European music right now. I mean, the top ten songs on my iTunes since March include artists from Sweden, Italy, Finland, Norway, France and Denmark. There's a song in Serbian there too. I sort of want to try and debunk the whole thing that all songs from Europe are cheesy Eurovision fare, but they're not just full of dance music acts (well, Romania pretty much is, but that's just them).

So every day for the next year, I'm going to post a song from a European country. You can listen, ignore, comment, hate, like, anything like that if you want to. It's just something to keep me occupied at the end of the day.

DAY ONE - SPAIN

La Oreja de Van Gogh, "La Niña Que LLora En Tus Fiestas".

I like a bit of French, however my sound is broken so I shall have a listen this evening. We've been putting the final touches to our English/French wedding playlist, so will throw a couple of songs at you.

France Gall - this one being pretty much the first track we put on the playlist.

Francoise Hardy - I like Francoise. She's next to Debbie Harry on my list of people who should've died before they got old because to look at their old faces next to their perfect young faces makes me sad.

Imagine my disappointment when this wasn't a marathon session of The Final Countdown.

I know, right? I thought the same thing. Actually, I thought "how could you listen to The Final Countdown once a day all year?!"

We were vetoed on Poupee de cire, apparently French people don't think much of it. France Gall has a few other contributions to the list though.

To be fair, that doesn't surprise me in a way. The French affinity for Eurovision is almost as fleeting as the Italians, I've found. Shame, though, as it's my favourite Eurovision song right up to Waterloo.

• 2 weeks later...