Having trouble with staff members with January update...

Trying to start a new game, and just downloaded the January update from another topic in this forum. The problem is, all the staff members are set with contracts about to expire, and they refuse to begin negotiations with me. Tried a few different things (going into the file editor, using the arsenic editor), but so far nothing is working. Have also been having a problem with the game ALWAYS freezing as it's trying to set up the database for a new game, which I guess could be causing the problems. Any other thoughts or ideas?

No no, I know it takes a long time (played this game many many times). But it IS actually freezing on me, and I'm not actually doing the ctrl-alt-delete thing. Truly odd. I'm sure it's still something to do with the data being corrupted, just not sure HOW it's getting that way. Thanks anyway

You dont need to do crtl+alt+del its just the common source for the issue.

Maybe the update you use is mixed up with another and wasnt fully installed right, try an earlier/smaller update see if thats an issue if not remove relationships, that tends to free hassle with these loading.