Welcome To The Albums Of My Life

METALMAN

Doing this has become trendy now, hasn't it? I want to do it too.

When I was a kid, I feckin loved music, right? Loved the stuff. When I was very, very young I'd play guitar along to tapes of the

or Rod, Jane & Freddy (who look like they ought to be pointed the way of Operation Yewtree). Cracking stuff, eh? My dad didn't think so - back in these dark days people only had one TV in their house, remember. So when I was unceremoniously booted off so that he could watch whatever was popular in the early 90s, I'd go to my room and listen to tapes of The Sticky Kids. From an early age, I was quite the music afficionado.

How I made the journey from The Sticky Kids to Cher Lloyd in around twenty short years might seem unfathomable to you. It seems crazy to me as well. But I will attempt to recount it for you in all its glory. I've decided to start with the first album I ever truly loved. You guessed it. It's:

Sting_fields_of_gold.jpg

I cannot understate how much I loved this CD. With this album, I made the jump from the Singing Kettle to proper Grown Up Pop Music. Although I didn't know it at the time. I just liked the songs.

The early-to-mid nineties was an exciting time to be alive in my house. My dad was a Physics teacher (he still is) and during the school holidays he would regularly bring back home all these new-fangled gadgets from his school. Printers! Scanners! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_12PAuCFSk! (As a six year old, I found the Aztec genocide endless fascinating. And there were more. Seriously, I didn't know you could get games that didn't try to each you stuff until like 2000) Modems! (I was the first person I knew to have an email address. Fact)

Then, one day my dad brought home a CD player for the computer! This was really exciting. It was all floppy disks before that you know. After following Magellan around the globe for the fiftieth time and become a little bored of all that, I was quite keen to try another CD. My parents had a few shelves of them ,just out of reach, so I couldn't look at them.

But there was no need to look at them. In my search for a CD, my dad gave me a CD by a man name Sting, offering his heartiest recommendations. I would love it, he told me. So i went and listened to it. Then I listened to it again, and again. And I loved it. Of course I loved it. Aside from Rod, Jane and Freddy, the Singing Kettle and Sticky Kids I didn't have anything to compare it to. This was music.

It was several years later before I realised that he gave me this CD because it he wasn't bothered if I broke it or not.

But I reckonmust have had some profound effect on me, because I still LOVE this album, and I cannot understand how anyone could possibly pick any faults in it. I mean, I had favourite songs (the fast ones) but they were all amazing. And they still are. Listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT64QnhZD4o. It is fast! Brilliant! Then listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYps5LfOaGg. it is fast too! I also liked the song where he sang about being

. I loved http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZistami3c.

I should probably stop writing this in the past tense, because I still love all of these. it's a good comfort listen, and it also happens to conveniently collate my entire music collection from 1996 to 2000.

Next: A compiliation album that I listened to almost as much as Sting!