Eastside Hockey Manager

Berober

17 minutes ago, Ruki said:

How the shit does Rinne go 1st overall? And Kovi falling that far? :/ 

Can't miss goalies are REALLY highly rated by EHM, and teams go hard to get a superstar goalie.
At the same time, Kovalchuk no doubt has a low adaptability attribute to simulate his desire to stay in (return to) Russia, and as such is rated lower for the NHL draft.

And time to go into 01/02!

After Dany Heatley got his rookie season cut short by (me) injuries, this year is gonna be his second crack at rookie glory, and hopefully grab some awards on the way there.

Opening 23, and such:

Dany Heatley (R) - Samuel Pahlsson - Miro Satan* (A)
Andrew Brunette - Jan Marek (R)  - Scott Walker
Jan Hlavac - Mark Messier - Marian Cisar
Andreas Dackell - Adam Oates - Grant Marshall
Backup: Darrin Shannon (LW), Mike Eastwood (C/RW/LW)

Kimmo Timonen* (C) - Brian Rafalski
Lubo Visnovsky* (A) - Toni Lydman (R)
Greg de Vries - Murray Baron
Backup: Jamie Heward (RD)

Marty Turco
Tomas Vokoun

AHL Players:
G: Roman Malek
G: Niklas Backstrom (ECHL)
D: Jeff Brown
D: Oleg Orekhovsky
D: Marc-André Bergeron
LW: Johan Franzen
LW: Fredrik Bremberg
LW: Jeff Daniels
LW: Pascal Dupuis
C: Darren Turcotte
RW: Branko Radivojevic

Noted Unsigned Prospects:
D: Mike Commodore (NCAA)
D: Christian Ehrhoff
D: David Koci (ELC starting in 02/03)
LW: Mike Cammalleri (NCAA)
LW: Matt Hendricks (NCAA)
LW: Jussi Jokinen
C: Alexei Badyukov
C: Jason Spezza

Picture of team report...

(R) = Rookie
(C) & (A) = Captain and Alternates
* = Star player according to game

Edited by Jasonmufc

How do you guys keep track of all your stats? I'm fairly new to the game (not hockey) but is there like an export to a spreadsheet kind of thing for this or do you do it all in game?

By stats I mean the individual stats like Aggression, Checking and that kind of stuff not Goals/Assists 

Like when you're looking for trades. Do you just pick random players to see if they're better than what you already have or do you have another way of doing it. I'm not familiar with all the screens that exist so I'm wondering if there's an easier way to find people better than players I already have.

29 minutes ago, Forky said:

Like when you're looking for trades. Do you just pick random players to see if they're better than what you already have or do you have another way of doing it. I'm not familiar with all the screens that exist so I'm wondering if there's an easier way to find people better than players I already have.

Well, the useful thing to do is have your scouts check any player out before you start trading for him. Guys in their primes are easier to 'see' how good they are, but young kids on the up can vary wildly and that talented shooter can plateau early and end up being a career backup instead.

I always have three scouts, one to scout my next opposition, one on the NHL, and one on the AHL. That was you got pretty good coverage, although even then some smaller names might slip through every once in a while.

Also in trades players are graded by value to the team, which at times is a p. gud indicator if they're worthwhile or not. But these figures can be skewed by depth (or lack thereof), performances (or lack thereof), current ability (see previous), or contract status (teams wanting to slash their bill will rate big contracts worse, same with one year deals that they can't extend).

In the historical rosters, having knowledge can certainly help you too. Although randomness is certainly there, everyone knows the Sedin's are future stars.
In modern rosters, you got a few years of knowledge before it becomes harder due to genned players popping up. So that's where a scout network comes in.

Finally, you can always check player stats en masse, by changing the view to stat based anywhere that has lists. Again, numbers might be skewed, and future stars aren't guaranteed to have stellar performances, but it can certainly help to find some NHL level guys playing abroad. Guys that get consistent 7.5's in the SHL/RSL/DEL etc. certainly deserve to get a look at.

Finally, I personally don't really use spreadsheets or picture dumps to see how much my player improves. Instead I just compare them to their direct competition, and depending on the situation the better player gets the nod. (Although I try to avoid putting kids on the 3rd line, and will never put one on the 4th unless that's their future).
Having knowledge of what attributes certain positions need, is a very useful thing to have.

• 2 weeks later...

In february 2003, and I am closing in on the biggest draft possibly ever. With the likes of Getzlaf, Staal, Weber, Perry, Bergeron, Eriksson, Carter, Fleury, Crawford, Phaneuf, Byfuglien and many many more being on the list, making for a sickenly deep draft.

And whilst Heatley had a stonking rookie season with 64 points in 80 games, he's on par to reach that same mark in his second year too. Meanwhile, Miro Satan is doing his own thing with 42 points in 57 games.

But, the team is stagnant offensively, and whilst the defense is good and only getting better, the offense is just 'there' with two stars in Heatley/Satan, and a few future prospects in Jokinen/Spezza/Semin/Moulson. And second liners in Marek/Pahlsson/Franzen/Brunette/Hlavac etc.

TL;Dr, shit needs to happen.

And shit is about to happen!
I have hashed out two trades (ominous much?), that will send a few good pieces around and hopefully bring my team the future first line it so desperately needs.

Trade 1
Predators send: Miro Satan, 2x 2003 2nd round pick
Wild send: Henrik Sedin, 2003 1st round pick

Trade 2
Predators send: Tomas Vokoun, Rights to Jason Spezza
Jets send: Daniel Sedin, 2003 2nd round pick.

With those trades, I send away a future superstar in Spezza, and a current superstar in Miro Satan. But in turns makes my first line 22 years old, and gets the Sedin's to the Panthers for (hopefully) the rest of their careers. Whilst allowing Heatley to slot to the right wing and have a bonafide passer (Henrik) to feed him passes.

And on top of that, I get a lottery pick that allows me to get another potential top 10 pick for the deepest draft in history, whilst also having a valuable 2nd rounder too.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...