Saves in Baseball

Gabriel

So I've recently started to really get into Baseball again after following it lightly for the past five or so years... and I was wondering... what constitutes a save in Baseball these days?

Last night, AJ Burnett pitched 7 innings for the Jays and had the lead when he left, 4-3... so he was credited with the win... but Tallet came in and pitched the 8th inning, and then in the 9th, BJ Ryan pitched and was given the save (as far as I know.)

How does this work?

You get a Save if you pitch the final half of an inning in a game (It can be the top/bottom of the 9th or the bottom of any extra inning). But you can't get a Save if you have a 12-run lead. You get it, I think, if the lead is 3 or less. A Blown Save is when you come on during a Save opportunity and either allow the game to become tied or give away the lead.

A save is with the lead 3 or less.

If you come into the game in the 7th with a 5-3 lead for example, and by the 9th, the lead is 8-3, you still get the save.

EDIT: You can get a save if you start it in the 8th too, you don't have to come in in the last half of the game.

Edited by Mountain Dew Plunge

Mountain Dew Plunge is correct.

If you come into the game in, say, the 8th inning and your team is up 2-1, even if your team scores more runs, and their lead ends up being more than 3 runs, even if the final score is 5-4. You still get the save.

It just depends on the score when you enter the game, whether or not you finish the game, and if your team wins.

I thought if you come in the 8th with a 2-run lead at say 5-3. And the inning ends at it being 6-5. Then in the top of the 9th your team scores 2 runs to make it 7-6 you get a Blown Save and a Win.

A save implies that you protect the lead. You can get a save if:

a) You enter the game with a three run lead or less in the 7th inning or later, and

b) You protect the lead until the end of the game - the game is not tied or losing between your entrance and your exit.

OR

c) You pitch more than three innings with any lead, and don't give up the tying or go-ahead runs.

A blown save occurs when you enter in the first type of save situation, and give up either the tying or go-ahead runs.

So:

Enters in 7th with 4-2 lead, team wins 4-2 = save

Enters in 7th with 6-1 lead, team wins 6-4 = no save

Enters in 8th with 3-2 lead, team wins 15-2 = save

Enters in 8th with 3-2 lead, gives up 2 runs, team wins 6-4 = blown save and win.

Enters in 6th with 10-1 lead, team wins 10-2 = save

Guest Bosstown Boy

It's a hold that is the untold stat in baseball: Any reliever that comes into a game and holds a lead for his team is given a hold. Unfortunetly, this stat isn't as big as the save stat.