Pro Evolution Soccer 2017

The Lusophone

28 minutes ago, Baddar said:

How many of you are buying this on the 15th? I want at least a few people to play the odd game with. @Colly still owes me a game.

I actually spotted this thread yesterday and remembered that! I don't have a PS4 and can't remember the last time my PS3 was on for games. I'll check out the demo if there's a PS3 one, but poor frame rate doesn't fill me with hope, surely by now they know to fix that before the demo?

It's why I don't bother with demos. You play them, and almost always, something sticks out as being broken. If you complain about it, you're just told to wait for the full release as this isn't "final code", only to come across the same issues in the full release anyway and get pissed off. Happens with FIFA constantly.

What are the half lengths on the PES demo? I remember them being quite generous before.

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

It's why I don't bother with demos. You play them, and almost always, something sticks out as being broken. If you complain about it, you're just told to wait for the full release as this isn't "final code", only to come across the same issues in the full release anyway and get pissed off. Happens with FIFA constantly.

What are the half lengths on the PES demo? I remember them being quite generous before.

You can choose. 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 I think or something vaguely along them lines.

10 minutes for full games on the demo I think is the longest (10 full game or is it a half? They go pretty quick).

myClub is the main mode for me, actually it's where I spend 95% of my time on the game unless I'm playing with friends. There's still areas they can improve it but I'm still always hooked. There's no transfer market, instead you spin/open balls for players from whatever agents you want to (GK, DEF, MF, CF. Every week they'll do a couple of special agents such as English League agent, La Liga agent, Legends agent, Champion's League agent and so on. Obviously if you spin an English League agent for example, you'll get a player rated 75+ that plays in the PL). You can play weekly competitions against the CPU as well as there being competitions to play against actual players. There's a SIM division or SIM area in general if you're into that stuff and obviously a normal division to play. Nothing too complicated, it's more based around building up your own teams and using them against people or the CPU. 

You can buy managers and a new set of managers show up every week. Chemistry is crucial and certain players fit into a system better under different managers who play different styles I.E Carroll would likely fit in straight away under Sam Allardyce compared to what he would if you had Pep. Even if they don't fit into the system though you can play them in the team and they'll slowly start to build up their chemistry under that manager and be a better fit (it's actually called Team Spirit on PES rather than chemistry). 99 Team Spirit is the aim. Basically not all that different to Fifa, if you play with 99 TS your team will connect brilliantly compared to if you play with 65 TS, where they just won't gel as well. The start of myClub is always quite fun as you usually begin with around 60-65 TS from what I remember and it takes a while to build it up.

Free agents are pretty important to. For every game you play you get a free agent. A free agent gives you one spin to get a player (you can stock up a good amount of these). You get percentages on how high rated your player is going to be. Everytime you spin an agent, you land on a ball, basically a roulette wheel but instead of numbers it's different coloured balls.

White Ball - 56-60 overall rated player

Bronze - 61-65 overall rated

Silver - 66-74 overall rated

Gold - 75-79 overall rated

Black - 80+ overall rated

The ratings are like something above. The key part is that when you spend coins/GP on a proper agent, you're guaranteed a gold or black ball. However with free agents, there's a higher chance of getting a lower rated player (so a white, bronze or silver). Another twist is that you can combine up to three free agents. I know, you're probably wondering "what the fuck is he going on about?" at this stage :lol: so for example if I had 20 free agents saved up and I looked through them and found an agent that is an English League agent, then found another that was a CF agent and then finally another that was an English Nationality agent, I could combine those for one spin to narrow down my search for what type of player I want. This combination would obviously give me a shot at somebody like Wayne Rooney as he fits all of the criteria. At the same time though, plenty of other players fall into the same criteria so instead of Rooney it could give me Patrick Bamford for example. Hopefully you get the idea by now. It's why some people decide to save agents for shots at specific players rather than spin them one by one.

As I mentioned, you get free agents every time you play a game. Also, they put up fresh competitions every week to earn special agents. There's ones against the CPU (English League Agent as an example. You then enter a knockout tournament of three or four games, the first being on an easier difficulty and the final being something like Top Player. Win them all and you get the special agent). There's also a special challenge to play against other players every week to earn a special agent or GP to spend, the rules and challenges vary.

Ultimately the main core in playing people and the CPU is the same as Fifa but building teams, managers, styles and even chemistry/TS is completely different. On Fifa you can go out and get whoever you want, you can't do that on here. You're a huge fan of Rashford? You might be there for a month or two trying to pull him, but when you do, the feeling is brilliant. You have to think about the players you have and how you're going to use them much more because there is no transfer market. It pushes you to try different styles and to use players you'd probably never even consider. It's not for everybody obviously but I like that they tried something different.

There's probably more but I've rambled on and bored you long enough. Some people love the mode while I've known others that can't get into it. If you do try it I'd say try to stick with it for a while even if you're struggling, it's pretty addicting once you get into full swing.

Edited by Asuka's Gonna Kill You

Batch Import for Team Data (Only for PS4®)
Import all your edited kits and player data in a batch on your USB flash memory. Select your team and apply the data you choose.
*Access to PSN is required to import images.

This piece here makes it seem like you still have to go through each team to import their kits and logos as opposed to one file being copied over and it being done across the board. Could be annoying. 

No they confirmed it on their twitter today. It means if you get say the Bundesliga from one site with full teams kits players etc, but then another site has better kits and players, you can just do a batch import of the second set of kits and players into the first set of data.

Played the demo, probably shouldn't have. It's still far too easy, even on the highest difficulty. I think the shooting is far too overpowered, giving the keeper no chance with powerful attempts, something they were apparently working on for this year. :/

The AI keeper still doesn't rush out as he should (was the same in 2015) when you're running through on goal. He'll just stand on his line until you get past the penalty spot before he does anything, so that's disappointing. 

I still haven't worked out how to get players to go on runs effectively (I use R1 and a direction with the right stick but he runs in a straight line forward. I know there's a way to change the direction of the runs) but to be honest I'm winning comfortably already without it.

Some of the cpu AI has been shocking as well. From players just running it out of play to running into me, allowing me to take the ball.

I doubt much will be done to the AI before release so I don't know what to do now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/08/2016 at 19:12, Baddar said:

Played the demo, probably shouldn't have. It's still far too easy, even on the highest difficulty. I think the shooting is far too overpowered, giving the keeper no chance with powerful attempts, something they were apparently working on for this year. :/

The AI keeper still doesn't rush out as he should (was the same in 2015) when you're running through on goal. He'll just stand on his line until you get past the penalty spot before he does anything, so that's disappointing. 

I still haven't worked out how to get players to go on runs effectively (I use R1 and a direction with the right stick but he runs in a straight line forward. I know there's a way to change the direction of the runs) but to be honest I'm winning comfortably already without it.

Some of the cpu AI has been shocking as well. From players just running it out of play to running into me, allowing me to take the ball.

I doubt much will be done to the AI before release so I don't know what to do now.

As someone that hasn't played PES since like 2006 or something, the demo was a refreshing change of pace for me. The gameplay was fantastic, miles ahead of FIFA. However, yeah, like you said, there are still some glaring holes that may stop me choosing this over FIFA. I bumped the difficulty up to the hardest setting in like, my third game, and was still winning comfortably. I imagine that would get pretty old pretty fast.

• Like 1

This is my main issue. I mean, part of me wants to start a Master League as a Spanish 2nd division side (maybe bring Mallorca back to the top tier) but the other part says I shouldn't bother if it's going to be easy. I can't see the online play being too good, either, especially if there's a major hole in the gameplay that gets exploited, as is usually the case with PES (and games in general really) online.